Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > This is unreal: Safari memory leak

This is unreal: Safari memory leak
macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 12:25 PM

When I took this screenshot I had absolutely no windows open and no downloads going.

Has Apple been fixing this in the new Safari beta?

I'm using 2.0.4 in Tiger.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 12:26 PM

Yeah, mines equally ridiculous. And it'll usually lock up after being open for a few days depending on how much surfing I do.

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 04:41 PM

If you note that Safari is actually still chewing on something this is a likely sign that some plugin is still chewing on something, and has absorbed that space. We would have to know an awful lot more about what sites you browsed to before that.

And just because a program takes up some RAM that is not the same thing as being a memory leak. Unless you are using Shark to profile it, you will never know when something is a leak, and when it is simply using more memory. The two are not synonymous.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 02:43 AM

Well, leak or not, it seems to consume a crazy amount of ram for what it's doing. It gets bogged down really easily too. Throw a few HR images at Safari and it takes like 5-15 seconds just to switch tabs. Strangely, Opera seems to be the speediest when handling a lot at once. So I use that for heavy duty surfing.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 5, 2007, 05:54 AM

I have the opposite experience with the newest version of Safari compared to 2.X

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by larkost View Post
If you note that Safari is actually still chewing on something this is a likely sign that some plugin is still chewing on something, and has absorbed that space. We would have to know an awful lot more about what sites you browsed to before that.

And just because a program takes up some RAM that is not the same thing as being a memory leak. Unless you are using Shark to profile it, you will never know when something is a leak, and when it is simply using more memory. The two are not synonymous.
I have SafariStand installed which means I have to click on a plugin for it to load. For example, if some flash video is embedded on a page, I have to click on that box before the plugin even loads. So obviously, at that point in time, I had no plugins loaded.

Remxed
Sep 5, 2007, 04:59 PM

i'm using the safari 3 beta and it does usually take over 100 megs of ram for me. I have no plugins installed. With the intel optimized version of firefox, I usually have 50 megs and that doesnt even take into account of extensions.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 10:23 PM

With Safari 3.0.3 beta with a window open for some time, mine is only using 51 MB of physical RAM.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 11:24 PM

Are RSS feeds turned off? Auto-fill off? Those 2 leak the majority of Safari's problems. And that people don't quit Safari from time to time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2007, 02:35 AM

I have both of those off. It's a pain when you're trying to do a good amount of browsing and needing to restart your browser 5+ times a day.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 6, 2007, 06:08 AM

The problem with these types of threads, and I am not saying this is the case with this one, is that the firefox fanboys come in an exaggerate Safari's "poor performance"

It works tons better than that dodgy Firefox GUI. Or it crashing all the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules