Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Hardware Access from a Browser?

Hardware Access from a Browser?
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2008, 01:38 PM

Howdy fellow developers,

I've got a general question about just how much you can do with hardware from within a browser... I'm researching the addition of a signature capture pad to my web-based POS system, and am curious what lengths I'll have to go to in order to talk to one of these devices.

Do Java Applets have access to USB devices when running within a loaded web page, or is that off-limits due to the sandboxing inherent to the browser?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2008, 09:45 PM

Do you mean server side, or client side? Server side it's possible, and can probably be done with a shell app or an Applescript. Client side I think it's less likely.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2008, 12:23 AM

Ideally, client-side... Something along the lines of: send a Java applet to the client within a web page, have the applet communicate with the signature pad to capture, then send that data back to the server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules