Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > No Rules, No Filters for IMAP Gmail?

No Rules, No Filters for IMAP Gmail?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 08:10 AM

I use Gmail/IMAP via Mail.app and I love it, but my one complaint is that my Mail.app rules do not appear to work and there are apparently no filters on Gmail itself that include the logic I want. Am I stuck?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2010, 08:56 AM

Whatcha trying to do? My son uses Gmail's filters to reroute all his Facebook notifications to some folder other than Inbox...really handy with mobile mail.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Whatcha trying to do? My son uses Gmail's filters to reroute all his Facebook notifications to some folder other than Inbox...really handy with mobile mail.
I want to delete all my old (more than 24 hours) Facebook notifications and notifications from other fora on the Internet so I don't have to manually delete them (I typically get like 20 a day).

Funny it's basically the same reason as your son. LOL

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2010, 06:56 PM

Sounds like the old "make a rule to send these notifications to a new folder" trick with a twist of "delete everything in the folder when you feel like it."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 06:59 PM

Have you tried another client? What is an example of a rule that is not working?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Sounds like the old "make a rule to send these notifications to a new folder" trick with a twist of "delete everything in the folder when you feel like it."
Not entirely satisfying, but okay. Within the Gmail interface, there are no subfolders of the Inbox, just "Labels," which is kind of a drag because I prefer the a simple directory/folder structure. Call me old-fashioned.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Have you tried another client? What is an example of a rule that is not working?
This:

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:09 PM

selowich: I assume you have a trash mailbox setup?

Testing this in another client would be a good idea. I suggest Postbox Express, which I think is better than OS X Mail anyway...

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 08:10 PM

selowich: I assume you have a trash mailbox setup?

Testing this in another client would be a good idea. I suggest Postbox Express, which I think is better than OS X Mail anyway...
Isn't Postbox a pay-software distro of Thunderbird? I d/led it and it sure looks that way....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Isn't Postbox a pay-software distro of Thunderbird? I d/led it and it sure looks that way....
Postbox Express is free, regular Postbox you have to pay for. Postbox is based on Thunderbird, but Postbox 2 (which is now in beta and free to download) has undergone many UI changes and added features so that it doesn't really resemble Thunderbird anymore.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 08:26 PM

Postbox Express is free, regular Postbox you have to pay for. Postbox is based on Thunderbird, but Postbox 2 (which is now in beta and free to download) has undergone many UI changes and added features so that it doesn't really resemble Thunderbird anymore.
Well, it seemed from PE Express that the Rules structure is identical to Thunderbird's, so I may as well just try Thunderbird ... right?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 08:30 PM

Sure... It doesn't really matter, the point of this just is just to see if the problem you are having is client specific.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Not entirely satisfying, but okay. Within the Gmail interface, there are no subfolders of the Inbox, just "Labels," which is kind of a drag because I prefer the a simple directory/folder structure. Call me old-fashioned.
The "label" walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, so it may as well be a duck-or a different folder. You access it the same way as a folder...and the mechanism that runs it is basically the same as how "mailbox folders" are run, through "labeling" each message with its appropriate "folder."

Forum Links
Forum Rules