Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > $500...what would you buy?

$500...what would you buy?
keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 9, 2002, 06:28 AM

Imagine you have $500 to spend on whatever you want to...and potentially up to $900. What would you buy? A 3.0+ megapixal digital camera, an iPod, a refurbished iBook, sell your iMac and upgrade to a refurbished TiBook? $500 worth of gummi worms? I've got this money in my pocket and need some ideas (keeping in mind that I'm selfishly spending ALL of it on me!).

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 06:40 AM

two O's
Sure you dont' want to share?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

keekeeree  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>two O's
Sure you dont' want to share? </STRONG>
If I go with the $500 worth of gummi worms, I might be talked into sharing them (wouldn't want them to go stale). Interested in $250 worth of gummi worms?

The Dude
Banned
Mar 9, 2002, 08:17 AM

If you're at all into music, get an iPod and a couple of new CD's with the remaining cash.

You'll love it.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 10:36 AM

ipod or ibook sound good, what sort of gear do you have now keekeeree so we can make a good judgement of a fine complimentary piece of gear?

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 11:09 AM

Get a digital camera.

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 12:05 PM

For $500 you can get a sony cybershot p-50, the ac adapter and lithium battery, and a 128 MB memory stick. Good gear for the price.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 03:13 PM

id get a DVD player and the new Simpson's DVD, and the blow the rest on
DVD's

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>For $500 you can get a sony cybershot p-50, the ac adapter and lithium battery, and a 128 MB memory stick. Good gear for the price.</STRONG>
Screw Sony! 500 will get you a Nikon Coolpix 885...nice, but I'd buy a new guitar

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2002, 03:23 PM

Well, the way things a headed buy a little bag of coke and party into the Nuclear Winter.

Keep the rubber side down!

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Mar 9, 2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
id get a DVD player and the new Simpson's DVD, and the blow the rest on
DVD's
I'll second that. I'm planning on getting a DVD player soon either-way, the excess $500.00 would just mean the difference between getting a cheap one and a "few" DVD's to start off with, or getting a really good one a sh_tload of movies to start with.

Mike

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 05:50 PM

lets see ....500.00 dollars.....

you could buy a pair of jeans at The Buckle !! and if you get the full 900.00 you could even buy a shirt to go with it
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

kaceygones
Senior User
Mar 9, 2002, 09:21 PM

If I had an extra $500, I would buy a dishwasher! We don't have one and I am soooooooo tired of doing dishes. I will never move into another place without a dishwasher...EVER!

You should buy a DVD player, though. We do have one of those(even have it hooked up to our stereo) It makes watching movies really nice and we have a cheapy from Wal-mart.

Imagine what a good one would be like...
kacey

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 09:50 PM

I personally would get a nice Stereo for My VW rabbit convertible before summer rolls around. I am thinking of either a nice tape deck with 50 wattsx4 so I can hook up my ipod or a nice Cd player with audio line in so I can do the same, then some nice speakers, 5 1/4 would give me some nice sound.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 09:52 PM

If you're gonna go far a dvd player, check out the ones that Sampo makes. You can get a hacked player that will let you watch movies from any region and will convert PAL to NTSC for about 300.00. Great for international releases.
http://zonefreedvd.com/codefreedvd/sampo-dve611.html

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 10:00 PM

a good-sized sack of kindbud and an Olde English 40 ounce?
*empty space*

funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 11:47 PM

I'd get a digital camera, because I don't have one already.

If you have one already, you should buy a new digital camera and give me the old one.

(If you have a bit more than $500, get a DV cam and jam on iMovie, that'd be super fun)

Grand Moff Tarkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2002, 11:58 PM

I got myself an x86 laptop to install BeOS on for $450. It rocks!

"Evacuate? in our moment of triumph?"

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 12:31 AM

Big Ass firewire hard drive + firewire cd-r drive to use w/ my iBook
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 01:43 AM

lets see lets assume $900 so i would get a Canon Optura 100MC ($1400) but at A & M photo you can get one for $869, I think i'm gonna get me that for my 16 birth day on MARCH 13! (3 days WHOOOHOOOO) and uhhh my license and uhhh a some dv tapes.

P.D.

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2002, 02:11 AM

I found this very helpful when shopping for a digital camera. Detailed reviews, no product for sale (no bias), sample pics, etc
http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

Check it out.

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 03:03 AM

I'd buy an NAD phono pre-amp; or a Music Hall turntable; or 500 dollars worth of records (drool); or a gamecube with Tony Hawk 3, Super Monkeyball, and Rogue Squadron; or a lot of wood and power tools so I can build me some furniture.

I guess I need $2000. *holds out hand*

I'd buy a DVD player, but I already have one (Ti PB).

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2002, 03:15 AM

Or you could get a big bag'o'pot, a few bottles of JD and go to a sleazy hotel room with a couple of hookers, shack up for a few days then head out for a big celebratory tattoo on your back.

You will eventually forget having an iPod, but a tattoo lasts forever.

Of course, I am assuming you are over 14.

dgs212
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>Or you could get a big bag'o'pot, a few bottles of JD and go to a sleazy hotel room with a couple of hookers, shack up for a few days then head out for a big celebratory tattoo on your back.

You will eventually forget having an iPod, but a tattoo lasts forever.

Of course, I am assuming you are over 14. </STRONG>
14?!? Australia must be AWESOME

keekeeree  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 04:07 AM

First off, thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I've tossed around most of the ideas that have been suggested (even the tattoo ) I already have a DVD player (well, actually, it's the girlfriend's) and a healthy start on DVD collection. Giving serious consideration to an iPod, but want to hold for upcoming Macworld Tokyo for any possible upgrades/price-drops. Although, I don't know if I can keep from spending this $ until then.

Love to also have a digital camera too. I'm a photojournalist, so I already have a pro 35mm SLR, and would like to add a digital cam to my arsenal. That or a film scanner.

Of course, a new option popped up tonight. One of my tower speakers finally took a crap on me (been kinda sickly for awhile). So now I'm thinking a new set of towers might be in order (found a pair of JBL three-ways with twin 10" subs for $400 and free shipping).

Ahhh...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Of course, I could do the responsible thing and paydown my credit card, but how boring is that?!?

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 04:22 AM

Get a digital camera only if you want a replacement for a 35mm point and shoot. I like the Nikon Coolpix 3+ megapixels (but none of those retarded ones with the swiveling heads) and the Canon digital elphs. The Kodak 3900 isn't bad either. Good to have in the car.

But if I had $500 US to pleasure spend... the answer is sooooo easy. I'd slap myself in the face and use it to pay down dept or put in my retirement fund.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: pathogen ]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 10, 2002, 04:25 AM

i would buy an old muscle car and breathe life into it...but thats just me

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 10, 2002, 04:28 AM

or i would find a dead 89+ rx-7 with a blown motor and pull the driveline, hood, ecu, turbo, intercooler, radiator and fuelpump and set them off to the side... the side that my vert is setting on... 2k later i get a new 13b turbo engine and bam... i got a turbo vert.

keekeeree  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG>i would buy an old muscle car and breathe life into it...but thats just me</STRONG>
Funny you should mention that Nimisys. I just happen to own a '70 Chevelle. It took a pretty good beating during my high school years, and I've been unable to part with it for all the memories that were made in it. I haven't had it licenced in ten years. It just follows me to wherever I move (I'm consistently having strangers stopping and asking me if I'm interested in selling). Investing the $ to start rebuilding it is a great idea that, for some reason, never occured to me (too focused on tech toys I guess )

At one point, I had that car parked next to a barn collecting dust and housing mice for almost seven years. Then one day, I decided it was time to move it and start working on it. I checked the oil and coolent levels, topped them off, and hooked up an old battery to it. As soon as the battery got hooked up, the hazard lights started flashing...blink...blink...blink. The first thing that went through my mind,"It's ALIVE!"

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: keekeeree ]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2002, 04:56 AM

Do it.

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 10, 2002, 04:57 AM

70 chevelle... which engine?

a nice long slow restoration seems to make a lot of people happy... and you still have bench seats...which weere gods gift to teenage guys .

keekeeree  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG>70 chevelle... which engine?

a nice long slow restoration seems to make a lot of people happy... and you still have bench seats...which weere gods gift to teenage guys .</STRONG>
350, although not original. I killed the original engine shortly after high school Dad was nice enough to replace it with a rebuilt engine. Would have loved to have a 454, but then I probably would have killed myself before the engine.

No bench seats in this baby. Bucket seats...much cooler with the console shift than bench seats. Thankfully the backseat was big enough to take care of the important stuff.

Restoration...investing and getting something cool out of it at the same time. Gonna have to give this some serious thought. Only downside is no immediate gratification!

suprz
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 09:07 AM

hmmmm...500.00$?
hookers, or cars?.........tough decision, they are both fun to take for a ride.....but at least you can turn off the car and leave it in the garage when your done with it.....and when you want to use it again, you just turn the key......
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2002, 01:18 PM

Bose Home Theater system for the DVD player?

New set of tires for the ride?

Donate it to the "Sean Kennedy paying off loan fund?"

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2002, 01:22 PM

If I had $500 i would pay some stuff from rksport.com or autozone.

But for fun i would blow it on these.
Mini Desktop Rovers

And put the other $200 to build a desert (or moon-like) battle sence out of card tables.

Hours of fun with friends. Plus you could have tournaments and get your $500 back to spend again.
Jonthan

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 11, 2002, 02:10 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 08:42 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules