Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook fan noise problem

Macbook fan noise problem
makku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 09:30 AM

I have a Core Duo Macbook which has seen numerous problems. The most recent problem is with fan noise. Whenever the macbook is under medium load (usually iTunes, Camino, Adium, Preview) for a couple of minutes the fan begins to make a constant small "errrrrr" noise. It isn't a problem if I have music on but when it is off, it annoys the heck out of me. I know its not the cpu whining.

I went to the genius bar to get it checked out but they concluded that there is no problems with the fan. They said that they ran the fan at numerous speeds and there were no noises. They say they can't do anything about it. Grrrrrrr.

This is the 5th time I had to bring my Macbook to the genius bar. The previous being for:
1. iSight camera's wiring came loose and palm rest discoloration
2. Random Shutdown Syndrome
3. HD drive dies
4. iSight camera's wiring came loose again
5. The fan problem...

So what is the best way to get this fixed? Should I go to the apple store again? Or should I call apple? I don't have applecare so would they charge me if I call them? Is it possible to get this computer replaced completely?

Thanks for the help

-makku

Forum Links
Forum Rules