Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Europe convertor

Europe convertor
margene1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2014, 03:30 PM

Hey guys!
I'm from the US and am going to be traveling through Europe. This may be a dumb question but I don't fully understand. If I want to be able to plug in my computer or curling iron I would need a convertor right?
Would one of these work?

Thanks!

P
Apr 17, 2014, 03:53 PM

Computers generally have power adapters that can accept both 110 V (US) and 230 V (Europe). In such cases you only need a much simpler converter that only changes the actual plug to fit in the actual socket. Such plugs vary a little between countries, and there are multi-adapters that work with multiple sockets.

Simpler electrical devices will need an active adapter, such as the one you linked, but it is usually easier to just buy a new curling iron or whatever when you arrive.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

akent35
Banned
Apr 17, 2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by margene1 View Post
Hey guys!
I'm from the US and am going to be traveling through Europe. This may be a dumb question but I don't fully understand. If I want to be able to plug in my computer or curling iron I would need a convertor right?
Would one of these work?

Thanks!
As P said, a plug convertor is all you should need. But, if you are traveling in Great Britain, you will need one that has 3 prongs. For just about anywhere else in Europe, you will need one that has just 2 prongs.

P
Apr 17, 2014, 06:15 PM

It's a little more complex than that. There are two "European" plugs: the one actually called Europlug, which is a rectangular two pin for double-insulated electronics, and the big grounded version which is roundish with two pins, one hole and two flat metal areas around the edges. Both the hole and the metal bits on the side are for grounding, and it is designed that way to be compatible with several different sockets. Either of these will fit in any European socket except for the UK, Italy and the former Soviet Union, even if the actual sockets can look quote different.

The UK plug is huge and always has three pins - the grounding pin must always be there to open the shutters over the other pins, even if it is a double-insulated device. Italy has two standards - the regular European one and one of a slightly different size that looks as if it would fit but doesn't. The Russians had something completely incompatible, but I've never travelled there, so I don't know the details.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2014, 03:43 PM

There are lots of things we do wrong in America, but designing plugs is not one of them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2014, 04:16 PM

I'm gonna contradict that.

The only time I've ever seen a plug fall out of a wall socket was with a US-style plug.

The only plugs I know of that allow powered prongs to be visible/accessible are the US-style sockets. In fact, pulling one and accidentally slipping around the plug with my finger is the only time I've ever got an electric shock directly at a socket.

P
Apr 19, 2014, 05:21 PM

The Europlug is rather clever, insulating most of the prongs to make it work with a physically smaller plug. Only thing annoying with that style is that the child-safety shutters can be tricky because they design them to be so hard to open these days. That's the only advantage to the UK plug, that the shutters open when the grounding pin goes in.

Apparently the reason for the proliferation of different plugs is that the guy who invented the first grounded (Schucko) plug got a patent on it, so people designed around it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2014, 07:07 PM

Nitpick: it's "Schuko" (no "c"), contracted from "Schutzkontakt".

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2014, 02:49 PM

Most hostels have adaptors that you can rent or borrow. If you are going to buy some adaptor, I would get the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit and avoid getting any fire-sale adaptors from obscure places.

Are you visiting Spain.? I have a spare adaptor from an US BlackBerry phone that I no longer need.

akent35
Banned
Apr 23, 2014, 03:22 PM

I am going to Iceland near the end of July for 7 days, and I already have the 2 prong adapter needed. I have used it in the past on trips to Europe, and it works fine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm gonna contradict that.

The only time I've ever seen a plug fall out of a wall socket was with a US-style plug.

The only plugs I know of that allow powered prongs to be visible/accessible are the US-style sockets. In fact, pulling one and accidentally slipping around the plug with my finger is the only time I've ever got an electric shock directly at a socket.
Perhaps, but at least you only got 120V from it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2014, 04:43 PM

Enough current to burn a little blister in my index finger, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2014, 08:38 PM

I stuck my finger in a light socket when I was a tot, which maybe instilled the notion you should pay attention when removing a plug... lest you get a finger blister.

Somehow, in over 40 years of being surrounded by these American, death-trap, Edison sockets, my fingers have yet to see action.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2014, 09:18 PM

Likewise, in defense of MURICA, I should mention the prongs are malleable. If you have weak leaf springs in the socket, you can crimp or splay out the plug blades with your fingers (watch the blister! ) to get a solid fit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2014, 04:46 AM

Yeah, but you only need to because the design means that weak leaf springs will cause your plugs to fall out.

That's not gonna happen with a recessed Schuko socket.

P
Apr 29, 2014, 05:14 AM

There's going to be an impassioned defense of the Fahrenheit scale any minute now, I just know it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2014, 06:32 AM

Let me pre-emptively point out that the nation that invented the automobile was using metric measurements at the time.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2014, 03:13 PM

It is really quite scandalous how the UK is leaving it to the Colonies to defend traditional English units of measure. One would expect a bit more pride, a determination to stay the course.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There's going to be an impassioned defense of the Fahrenheit scale any minute now, I just know it.
It's more like guns. Some peoples can handle them, others will just hurt themselves.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2014, 06:59 AM

And I thought this was going to be a thread that would get moved into the Pol Lounge...

Typical Mac laptop power supplies have interchangeable plugs and automatically adapt to different line power frequencies and voltages. While your curling iron may not like Euro power, your Mac shouldn't mind it at all.

I have yet to hurt myself with a US plug and socket. With plenty of other things, but not that. At least not that I remember, anyway. Interestingly, electric shocks tend to disrupt short term memory immediately around the time of the shock... Coincidence?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It is really quite scandalous how the UK is leaving it to the Colonies to defend traditional English units of measure. One would expect a bit more pride, a determination to stay the course.
Even the British recognize a lost cause eventually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules