Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Confusion of Contract Free iPhone 6/6 Plus

Confusion of Contract Free iPhone 6/6 Plus
webraider
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2014, 09:10 PM

In my attempt to purchase a Contract Free/ FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone all I have wound up with is a bunch of confusion. Here's how the story goes.

I checked on this Extensively today. I called the Apple Store (Online) and was told YES, the Tmobile contract version is "Unlocked". I even called back and chatted to be sure, and was told emphatically by three employees YES. Then I went two stores here in New York City; 5th avenue store and the one on 14th street and was told something different. I was told the Tmobile version is locked, but only for 40 days. You must activate it on the Tmobile network first. After the 40 days you can then put in a different sim and it will automatically unlock (Must have a different sim to do this). I then went to Tmobile, and they said that's how their version works. (the one they sell).

I spoke to Apple Online again (4th time now) but was told at the opposite: "The Apple iPhone Contract Free version is unlocked, does not require activation on Tmobile first, you can take it to any GSM compatible carrier". I then asked if they are selling different version than what's physically in the store and they could not comment on that, but only what was sold online.

Therefore, it may be that people who pre-ordered received an unlocked version. The version that's being sold in the physical Apple store may NOT be the one you get when your order online. It may instead be the one tMobile will sell you. I wish Apple would really clarify this. Does anybody else know anything different?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2014, 09:29 PM

Something doesn't make sense.

How can there be a "TMobile Unlocked Version" ?

It's either unlocked or not.

What if you go to then Apple Store, and just tell them
you want to buy and unlocked phone, but you haven't decided which carrier you want to use ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2014, 09:29 PM

double post

webraider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Something doesn't make sense.

How can there be a "TMobile Unlocked Version" ?

It's either unlocked or not.

What if you go to then Apple Store, and just tell them
you want to buy and unlocked phone, but you haven't decided which carrier you want to use ?

-t
I tried that too.. the response from the Apple stores brick and mortar was that they don't sell an unlocked phone yet. The response from Apple Store online is that the TMobile version is unlocked.

webraider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2014, 11:57 PM

That T-mobile explained to me that all iPhones from Apple are technically "Unlocked". BUT.. the locking happens when you first put the SIM in and turn the phone on. Somehow according to T-mobile (And apple said something about first activating it on T-mobile) This locks the phone into their network. You then have to Unlock it through them ( or it will happen in 40 days automatically) but you still need a sim of a different company to do this. VERY Strange...

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2014, 01:22 PM

that sounds confusing as hell. Is there also a door to walk through marked "beware of the leopard"?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 02:45 PM

The explanation is this:

1) They don't sell UNLOCKED iPhone 6 yet.
All iPhone 6 sold will auto-lock to the network they are activated on.

2) The closest to an unlocked is buying it with T-Mobile, and getting it unlocked from T-Mobile after a certain wait period.

3) If you wait a few more weeks (months ?), the true unlocked iPhone 6 will be sold.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 03:55 PM

I'll be very pissed if my unlocked phone is now locked to AT&T.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'll be very pissed if my unlocked phone is now locked to AT&T.
We're you able to buy an unlocked iPhone 6 ? Where ?

I have read in multiple sources that Apple is NOT selling those yet.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 09:06 PM

Read that as "I'll be very pissed if [what I presumed was] my unlocked phone is now locked to AT&T".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 10:33 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 11:46 PM

I bought it "without contract" from the online Apple Store.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The links in the quoted post contain accurate information.

If you buy the T-Mobile (GSM) iPhone 6 or 6 Plus from Apple, for $649 or more, you may use any domestic or international GSM SIM card with it.

However, if you buy it from T-Mobile, it will be locked to T-Mobile for at least 40 days, with a minimum amount of money spent for calling minutes to unlock the iPhone.

I preordered a T-Mobile (GSM) iPhone 6 off-contract, for the full, unsubsidized, price. I inserted my T-Mobile SIM card from my iPhone 5s, and it just worked. Out of curiosity, I inserted another carrier's SIM card, that uses AT&T's network, and it showed up in the settings as AT&T.

Because I would like to continue using my T-Mobile plan from my iPhone 5s, I reinserted the T-Mobile SIM card from my iPhone 5s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules