Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Duggar thread?

No Duggar thread? (Page 2)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yes, so much power they can't even get the paycheck fairness act passed.
Because "pay inequality" is a myth. Women get paid as much as men, they simply choose not to work as many hours, often because they decide to have children or want more free time for themselves. Or they choose less dangerous/demanding fields, much more often choosing to make careers for themselves in the humanities. The all-important STEM fields, which pay the most money, are begging for women, companies and institutions are falling all over themselves to hire more women, but they simply don't want to choose those majors when going to university. A yearly reminder that the gender wage gap is due to choice, not discrimination | Washington Examiner

You really are conforming to some interesting and terrible stereotypes here.
So are you, by trying to use shame to stop a conversation, rather than confront reality.

That's the guy who revealed "the truth" about Shaun King you so openly embraced.
So, you simply have an issue with Milo? He's bombastic, but that doesn't make what he's saying any less true, or is CNN also a problem for you?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2015, 10:37 AM

Not the argument being made. You're trying to make two positions of unequal power a moral issue when the point is the influence they have.
Nope. I'm saying that no one (especially people whom you don't personally know) should be blindly held up as a hero, that's just a recipe for disappointment.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Because "pay inequality" is a myth.
That doesn't have anything to do with their 'vast power' in the US. Facts wouldn't get int he way.

So are you, by trying to use shame to stop a conversation, rather than confront reality.
I don't see how that was 'trying to stop the conversation'.

or is CNN also a problem for you?
You're amazing. CNN following up on the controversy is somehow equivalent to starting it.

Nope. I'm saying that no one (especially people whom you don't personally know) should be blindly held up as a hero, that's just a recipe for disappointment.
Actually you were trying to nail me to the wall for having confirmation bias, but after I pointed out that you misused my statement and two other people corroborated my initial point, here we are with you pretending your post was about something it wasn't.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2015, 12:05 PM

That doesn't have anything to do with their 'vast power' in the US. Facts wouldn't get int he way.
You give "power" too much credit. If it was all about "power" we wouldn't have Net Neutrality. No matter how much influence a group has, and the Progressive Left has a lot of it, sometimes they still can't override compelling contradictory evidence and common sense.

I don't see how that was 'trying to stop the conversation'.
Claiming I'm embracing (what's in your perception) a "terrible stereotype" isn't addressing the point, (and neither is attempting to call me out for my supposed "rightward jerk") it's evading it.

You're amazing. CNN following up on the controversy is somehow equivalent to starting it.
Not as amazing as you, they're corroborating facts from Breitbart's investigation. The worst part of it is, if it's true (and it does appear to be), he stole a very valuable/prestigious scholarship from an actual needy minority individual who would have received it in his stead. How scummy can you get?

Actually you were trying to nail me to the wall for having confirmation bias, but after I pointed out that you misused my statement and two other people corroborated my initial point, here we are with you pretending your post was about something it wasn't.
I don't see how I "misused" your statement.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2015, 12:23 PM

I don't see how I "misused" your statement.
I know.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2015, 01:25 PM

You do have confirmation bias, but then, so does everyone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2015, 01:29 PM

You do have confirmation bias, but then, so does everyone.
Sure, in the general. But your accusation was in this specific instance, so, you know, way to go on that one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2015, 02:57 PM

There may be a chicken and egg thing here.

It's not surprising when the head of a restrictive movement is a hypocrite. What the politics are behind the movement, and even what the movement is, aren't relevant. The commonality isn't conservatism, the commonality is restriction.

It just so happens, the conservatives have top-loaded on all the restrictive movements, except for guns and money.

When a democratic politician gets accused of dodging their taxes? Whelp, that's believable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2015, 04:20 PM

“Well out of 19 kids, as far as we know, 18 turned out pretty darn well,” said Huckabee. “That’s a pretty good percentage.”
lololol

andi*pandi
Oct 16, 2015, 05:02 PM

Some of them are too young to have "turned out" yet. Time will tell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules