Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My macbook doesn't recognize my camera

My macbook doesn't recognize my camera
melismak
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2006, 05:43 PM

Hi all,

I have a Canon Powershot A75 from 2004. It works great with my PC. I downloaded the software from the cd meant for the Mac and it seems to work ok...except that the computer (and, hence, the program) won't recognize my camera. I have it attached to the computer with a plain old usb cable.

Any ideas about what's going on? I am new to Macs (since October) and I know this could all just be something I didn't set up, but I can't figure out what.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 12:31 AM

It has to be a bad cable, camera, or jack. There is no way that camera is not instantly recognized by a Mac, when my PowerShot S10 and A70 are. I guarantee it's not the Mac software at fault, other than user error.

The only possible use for the CD with the Canon software is as a coaster in my opinion. The software is clunky, poorly-ported junk.

Apple - Mac OS X - Upgrade - Devices - Cameras

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
It has to be a bad cable, camera, or jack. There is no way that camera is not instantly recognized by a Mac, when my PowerShot S10 and A70 are. I guarantee it's not the Mac software at fault, other than user error.

The only possible use for the CD with the Canon software is as a coaster in my opinion. The software is clunky, poorly-ported junk.

Apple - Mac OS X - Upgrade - Devices - Cameras
Oh. I didn't realize I could use it without software since my PC always seemed to need it. I agree about the software--clunky. I'd tried to just plug the camera in before and it still didn't recognize it. So, I guess I should test the cable on the old computer to make sure it works and if it does, it must be my camera?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 22, 2006, 04:45 AM

I had an A75, worked great with my Mac.

Image Capture? iPhoto? Try them.
ice

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by melismak View Post
Oh. I didn't realize I could use it without software since my PC always seemed to need it. I agree about the software--clunky. I'd tried to just plug the camera in before and it still didn't recognize it. So, I guess I should test the cable on the old computer to make sure it works and if it does, it must be my camera?

If your cable/camera works with your PC then they are fine, regardless of the fact it doesnt work on your mac.
( Last edited by richwig83; Dec 22, 2006 at 06:30 AM. )

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2006, 07:11 AM

Macs usually don't need any sort of drivers and cameras show up just like USB sticks in the Finder.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 01:13 PM

OK, well, I changed the batteries in my camera to make sure it wasn't the fact that the batteries were going and still nothing. I tried both usb ports.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 01:14 PM

Oh, and btw, where would the camera show up in the finder, if it were there? Just to make sure I'm not missing anything....I'm assuming it would be somewhere in the main window.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 01:17 PM

I also just tried image capture and it said no device detected, regardless of the fact that my camera is plugged in and on. Iphoto was also no help.

I swear I'm not a moron I don't know what's going on, though.

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2006, 02:09 PM

Try connecting the camera and then launching the System Profiler (located in Applications/Utilities). Check in the USB section whether your camera is recognized. Try multiple USB ports if necessary.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 02:20 PM

if you still have no joy and are certain your USB ports are fine then get a CompactFlash card reader and plug the card directly in - that way you wont have to worry about if the batteries are charged in the camera.

the card will mount on the desktop like a external hard drive.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 02:37 PM

Melismak blushes....OK, it's showing up in the system profiler but I still can't really access the pictures on it and the programs don't say it's attached.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 02:42 PM

Alrighty. I guess somehow the problem got solved because NOW, imagecapture sees that I have a camera attached.

The only thing I did was go plug the camera into the pc and then come back. I can't imagine that changed anything. I also found it in the sys profiler, but again, how would that have changed things?

Anyway, I've got it now and I thank you all for your help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules