Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help! Troubleshooting Dual G4/867...Screen of death?

Help! Troubleshooting Dual G4/867...Screen of death?
[osX]RTouris
Apr 14, 2003, 04:12 AM

Ok so I bought a second handed Dual 867 yesterday (man these things are noisy, just registered to the fan exchange program though). So I put it to sleep and wake it up this morning...And this is what I get:

fyi: Firmware 4.8.8f2, 1GB RAM, 2xSeagate Baracuda IV HDs...Any clues on what's going on? I'd hate to return the machine back to the owner since I had a really good deal

Another thing is that I get the impression there's a hum coming out of the sub-woofer (not USB, plain old normal one), whilst I'm doing anything that has to do with scrolling, moving windows etc...Even when I type this thing it's like there's a distinctive sound (really low freq) every time I press one of the buttons on my keyboard...That's kinda weird, ain't it?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 05:10 AM

Hmm, OK, a KP. Can you boot it up at all? (Oh and what version of OS X are you using?)

If not, unplug all non-essential USB devices, and try again. If you still get nothing, run the machine from the OS X Install CD, and run First Aid and repair privileges....

Try starting up again.

If you can get it up and running, go to the 'logs' section, and post the exact KP details... Someone will no doubt be able to translate them! If you are running 10.2.5, there is an issue wth USB hubs and things... so there could be a cause there.

If you are running a previous Mac OS, I would begin to gradually plug your Peripherals back in, to see if any of them trigger the KP...

If you can get nothing at all, or a KP when you try to start the machine, I would Boot from the Mac OS X Cd and reinstall the OS. Just be sure to choose the 'Archive User and Data' option...! See what happens...

Hope some of this helps,

peace,

Marc

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 05:17 AM

yeah this is the mac screen of death i got it a few times anyone that has a 1ghz Tibook SD and never saw this and wanna see it just boot from any bootable CD that didnt came with your pb e.g jaguar u get this screen

[osX]RTouris  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
Hmm, OK, a KP. Can you boot it up at all? (Oh and what version of OS X are you using?)
I can boot, sure, this is what I get after I put the mac to sleep only. I'm on 10.2.5 since when it was released a couple of days ago...One thing I've done and I don't know if I'm supposed to is that I took out my boot drive off my QS 800 and put it in my Dual..This is now my boot drive and the 10.2.5 sits on this. However the upgrade took place while the HD was in the QS. Did not have any issues with the QS.

If not, unplug all non-essential USB devices, and try again. If you still get nothing, run the machine from the OS X Install CD, and run First Aid and repair privileges....

Try starting up again.

If you can get it up and running, go to the 'logs' section, and post the exact KP details... Someone will no doubt be able to translate them! If you are running 10.2.5, there is an issue wth USB hubs and things... so there could be a cause there.
[/B]
I'll do that after I get back home from work 2day (post my log details). I am using a Belkin 4port self powered USB hub, i suspect that may be the reason, but how come I didn't get any strange behaviour on the QS?

If you are running a previous Mac OS, I would begin to gradually plug your Peripherals back in, to see if any of them trigger the KP...

If you can get nothing at all, or a KP when you try to start the machine, I would Boot from the Mac OS X Cd and reinstall the OS. Just be sure to choose the 'Archive User and Data' option...! See what happens...

Hope some of this helps,

peace,

Marc [/B]
Thanks for the advice Marc. I'd rather not reinstall the system at the moment, it's been rock solid for the last 10 months, I'd rather find the cause of the problem and address that

Now that I come to think about it though, it may be that one of the RAM Dimms is to blame. There are 2 of them, one normal Kingston one and a Kingston Value one...(red alert here). I'll try to take the Value one off for a while and see how it goes this afternoon.
( Last edited by [osX]RTouris; Apr 14, 2003 at 06:10 AM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by [osX]RTouris:
I can boot, sure, this is what I get after I put the mac to sleep only. I'm on 10.2.5 since when it was released a couple of days ago...One thing I've done and I don't know if I'm supposed to is that I took out my boot drive off my QS 800 and put it in my Dual..This is now my boot drive and the 10.2.5 sits on this. However the upgrade took place while the HD was in the QS. Did not have any issues with the QS.

I'd put some money on the problems being to do with 10.2.5... Loads of people have reported waking from sleep issues with it... If you look in the OS X forum there are stacks of threads about the same issues you describe...

I'll do that after I get back home from work 2day (post my log details). I am using a Belkin 4port self powered USB hub, i suspect that may be the reason, but how come I didn't get any strange behaviour on the QS?

I suspect we have a prime suspect... From looking at the other reports of KPs and 10.2.5, they nearly all involve USB Hubs...

Also the problems seem to vary in occurance between different models, so it conceivable that it would not effect the QS...

Thanks for the advice Marc. I'd rather not reinstall the system at the moment, it's been rock solid for the last 10 months, I'd rather find the cause of the problem and address that

I know what you mean, however, if it is the Belkin causing the problems, and you want to carry on using it, the only fix so far is reinstalling a version of OS X before 10.2.5... (unless Apple release a 3 point release, in the near future with a fix...!)

I am currently running 10.2.3 as it is the ony one I find stable enough to use on my D867 in a working environment... I installed 10.2.4 and the machine had all the modem troubles, KPs all over the place, and I had to do an 'archive' install to get everything back on track...

Now that I come to think about it though, it may be that one of the RAM Dimms is to blame. There are 2 of them, one normal Kingston one and a Kingston Value one...(red alert here). I'll try to take the Value one off for a while and see how it goes this afternoon.
The dual 867s are notoriously fussy with RAM... Out of 5 'good' sticks, my d867 will only work well with 3 of them... The rest cause untold system troubles. May indeed be worth a look...

Good luck with it,

Peace,

Marc

Forum Links
Forum Rules