Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spilled Juice on upper-right speaker of MBP! Help!

Spilled Juice on upper-right speaker of MBP! Help!
dndog
Mar 13, 2006, 01:06 AM

I am writing a 15 page research paper, and I accidently spilled Orange Juice over the top of the right speaker on the MBP. I wiped it off as quick as possible, but I'm worried some of it might have gone through the circular holes into the MBP.

Everything seems to be working fine, including sound. Should I have any worries?
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 01:30 AM

Well, obviously you should. But I have no idea what to tell you to do other than pray.

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 01:44 AM

Well you could just rinse it off by dumping it in the toilet like someone else on these threads says he did with his 17" PB while taking a dump. Or you could take away the stickiness by spilling beer over the spot, like another poster said his friend did to his new Macbook Pro. But I would suggest leaving it alone, since you can't really open the case. But you might want to put some ant traps out just in case.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2006, 02:20 AM

What is with people having all these liquids so close to their $2000 laptops, be it orange juice or a moron friend with a beer? People, for the love of Apple, electronics and liquids don't mix. Keep your juice, beer, water, etc., away from your laptops. You'll be much happier. Enjoy your tasty beverage elsewhere.

Steve

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 02:26 AM

One time I got really drunk and puked on my powerbook, still works fine, cleaned it all off, no smell. Butman was that a bad day.

dndog  (op)
Mar 13, 2006, 03:00 AM

Yes, I feel like a total idiot considering I've been reading the beer thread and feeling very sorry for the guy.

Everything seems to be working fine so far. *knocks on wood*
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dndog
I am writing a 15 page research paper, and I accidently spilled Orange Juice over the top of the right speaker on the MBP. I wiped it off as quick as possible, but I'm worried some of it might have gone through the circular holes into the MBP.

Everything seems to be working fine, including sound. Should I have any worries?
Shame on you; you shouldn't put any liquid anywhere near your MBP.

If I were you, I'd take it to the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store and have them take a quick look at it. At least that should make you feel better. And be sure to purchase the Apple Protection Plan for your MBP.

-- DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dndog
Should I have any worries?
You should worry about the infinitesimal possibility that I may have your address.

DrunkenTech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DekuDekuplex
Shame on you; you shouldn't put any liquid anywhere near your MBP.

If I were you, I'd take it to the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store and have them take a quick look at it. At least that should make you feel better. And be sure to purchase the Apple Protection Plan for your MBP.

-- DekuDekuplex
Remember that AppleCare doesn't cover liquid spills, and if the liquid spill does cause something to go out later on, AppleCare is worthless in that case.
The DrunkenTech
http://drunkentech.com

vasu
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 09:42 PM

take a look at this picture: http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/ha...s/Image16.html

it's a close up view of what's underneath that speaker grill. Do you remember where you spilled the juice and how much? You can see in the underside of the top case, the green circle is the underside of the power button, so try and use that as a guide and think about where the juice got through.

Besides the speaker, the area directly to the right of the speaker is a wedge of foam/sheilding stuff) and directly below the speaker is a strip of clear tape. If the juice got onto that, you should be fine. If it got aywhere around that though, you may want to worry. While the MacBook Pro may be working right now, orange juice has a decent bit of ascorbic acid, which overtime could eat away at something ... though whether you spilled enough and in the right spot for an appreciable ammount of acid to make its way down to a circuit board trace is unknown.

If you're really worried, take it apart, and clean the area with some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.

If you think you got it right over the speaker, I'd say you were home free. Even if a whole drop made its way down to the board, I don't think it'd do enough damage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules