Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G3 /192 OSX.1.2 installation messed up

G3 /192 OSX.1.2 installation messed up
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2002, 11:58 AM

System : 350 Mhz G3 B&W, 80 Gig, 192 Mb
Harddisk is partitioned in 3 parts
1st is for OS9.2.2 Int
2nd is for MacOs x.1.2
3rd is for storage

I formatted the drive, and partitioned it in 3 parts
1st partition runs smoot on 9.2.2
now the second one needs MacOs X on it, I only have the X.1.2 version (which runs great on my G4 and G4 powerbook)

When I select to restart the computer and install OSX the computer restarts, goes thru the installationsetup and then crashes. Darwin hangs, or something with Kernel-stuff. I am sure you guys know what I mean, when I say I see a lot of black lines on the screen with an errorLOG inside them. Resetbutton resets the g3.

is it impossible to install OSX on the G3? Weird..I tried it several times and I keep getting this message. The version of OSX is ok (runs on my pbg4), but at the first time I installed it on this G3, the system said it couldn't write on the disk, after this, the above started to get a foothold.

Norton sysworks 2002 says the drive is ok

<small>[ 07-29-2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: � ]</small>
T E K N O

ShinySteelRobot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2002, 05:02 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by �:
<strong>System : 350 Mhz G3 B&W, 80 Gig, 192 Mb
Harddisk is partitioned in 3 parts
1st is for OS9.2.2 Int
2nd is for MacOs x.1.2
3rd is for storage

&lt;snip&gt;

is it impossible to install OSX on the G3? Weird..I tried it several times and I keep getting this message.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">On my beige G3/266, I couldn't install OS X unless the OS X partition was the first partition on the drive. This info was in the "Before You Install" document that came with OS X. Not sure if that applies to your B&W G3/350 though, YMMV.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2002, 10:44 AM

X has been known to very picky about RAM too. If it's not up to snuff with the latest firmware upgrades, it might cause install problems.

I had a similar problem trying to install X.1.2 (from a FP iMac) onto an iMac Graphite. I ended using a full 10.1 to wipe the system completely, install X, do all the updates, and then once everything was working fine, go back and install 9.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2002, 11:47 AM

I put 10.2 on a B&W 300 mhz w/ 512 RAM and couldn't get it to start-up also. The problem seemed to be the graphics card I had, because when I switched it, it worked fine. If your computer monitor hook-up is VGA, then you're fine, if you're like me (and have the "educational" graphics card w/ video in and out) and have an ADC hookup that could be your problem. I swapped that ADC ATI hookup card and put in a Rage 128 and it worked fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules