Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > No more brushed metal in Panther

No more brushed metal in Panther
sean seanson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 02:32 PM

http://suicidegirls.com/apps/whiteout/

Great little app to whiteout all the brushed metal in panther. more screenshots on the site.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 02:34 PM

http://www.unsanity.org/ Metallifizer 1.3a1 makes it true non-brushed.
click one

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by sean seanson:

http://suicidegirls.com/apps/whiteout/

Great little app to whiteout all the brushed metal in panther. more screenshots on the site. [/B]
You're about 2 weeks too late =(

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 03:29 PM

I actually hadn't heard of this yet. Thanks! Looks pretty sweet.. I use De-Metalifizer, but it removes the border on the right and left edge of the finder window (i liked those), so I may give this a try.

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
You're about 2 weeks too late =(

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 03:44 PM

I would love to find a way to hack this so that it can make metal windows still metal but w/o the brushed look.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 03:52 PM

That's precisely what Whiteout does, as far as I can tell. It's basically just a theme, really, only not distributed as such, and all it changes are the brushed metal PPAT resources and related pxm#'s to make them look like Aqua instead. It doesn't actually modify the applications at all, meaning that it will still drag by any surface like brushed metal windows do.

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
That's precisely what Whiteout does, as far as I can tell. It's basically just a theme, really, only not distributed as such, and all it changes are the brushed metal PPAT resources and related pxm#'s to make them look like Aqua instead. It doesn't actually modify the applications at all, meaning that it will still drag by any surface like brushed metal windows do.
Yeah I know what it does. But what it is doing is replacing the tif for brushed metal w/ an aqua looking tif. what I was talking about was editing the program so that the tif it replaces is transparent so that metal windows are still the gray metal color but w/o the brushed look to them. so they will look more like a gradient gray metal look and not brushed or aqua.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:23 PM

Oh! Well, that shouldn't be too hard to do... just grab ThemePark, go in, and change all of the brushed metal texture resources to be flat gray (pick a shade that comes out the way you like it). Leave the gradient resources alone, and you'll have unbrushed metal.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
http://www.unsanity.org/ Metallifizer 1.3a1 makes it true non-brushed.
Metallifiizer sucks and it's not "True" it adds a title bar and makes most apps look funny.. its much better with the finder but it still looks odd to me.

this is alot more ture.. it replaces the brushed resource with a white one.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 04:58 PM

I fully, fully, fully support this app!

Jesus! It's hosted on suicidegirls.com! Until Unsanity get hotties like this on their site they can keep Metallifizer.

Viva La Whiteout!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 05:03 PM

its a theme, heh. opps

Sage
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
Metallifiizer sucks and it's not "True" it adds a title bar and makes most apps look funny.. its much better with the finder but it still looks odd to me.

"Not true"? If anything, Metallifizer is more "true" than this, because it changes the application to full-on Aqua, which is precisely why it adds a titlebar (since Aqua apps always have titlebars). And it took them one hell of a time to get the Finder running likewise. All that whiteout does is replace images, not delve into full-blown resource code junk that'll make most people's heads explode.

I'm not trying to downplay whiteout, nor trying to start a fight, but it's just silly to say that Metallifizer "sucks" or "is not true".

neo_2510
Oct 29, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:

I like the stuff those guys from unsanity do, but Metallifizer is really crap. The look of the Finder windows is the worst I have ever seen. Keep the window like it is, just drop the metal and don't mess around with those title bar and all that stuff....

sean seanson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:36 PM

seems like a matter of taste and the more options the better to me. I like unsanity and used to use metalfilizer (or however its spelled) and now i use whiteout. I like the whiteout finished results better, but some of you may like the unsanity results better. Either way I think its great to have multiple options for getting rid of brushed metal. Thats one of the point of themes right, lots of options?

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 06:47 PM

Maybe it�s mine, but in �blue� the apple menu is grey. Hmm?
Is that normal?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 08:25 PM

Well if you want to use any full color theme and you want finder to match, Metallifiizer is the only way to do that. Also remember that Metallifiizer for Panther is an alpha still.
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by neo_2510:
I like the stuff those guys from unsanity do, but Metallifizer is really crap. The look of the Finder windows is the worst I have ever seen. Keep the window like it is, just drop the metal and don't mess around with those title bar and all that stuff....
Boy you are WAY off. I'm using metafilizer on Panther right now and it looks great.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 09:04 PM

I agree, Metalifizer is still a great thing. It removes the brushed metal appearance system wide which is good. My only peev is the finder window border, but thats a VERY tiny complaint.

To the people who always chime in "metalifizer sucks"... explain why? with good reason, or don't say it. You sound like either 1.an ignorant "hater", or 2. a bitter competitior (given its free), or 3. a kid.

Originally posted by codywalton:
Boy you are WAY off. I'm using metafilizer on Panther right now and it looks great.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 09:26 PM

haha hosted on SG thats great

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 29, 2003, 09:29 PM

Ive just found another anoyying thing about Panther's Finder; when a Finder window is in the background its nonselected View buttons remain in their foreground state. Not such an issue with default Panther buttons but with a theme which uses more differentiation between the two states this SUX.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Ive just found another anoyying thing about Panther's Finder; when a Finder window is in the background its nonselected View buttons remain in their foreground state. Not such an issue with default Panther buttons but with a theme which uses more differentiation between the two states this SUX.
Hmm well they seem to go inactive with Max's smooth stripes finder buttons, the ones that are inactive stay the same but the ones that are active go inactive just fine.
click one

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:

Ya I agree with you on metafilizer being great.

Also I just noticed your side bar icons are bigger than mine, I seem to remember a setting for that somewhere, but I can't find it now.
click one

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 10:02 PM

So how did people demetalfize the finder? Explain how please?

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 29, 2003, 10:04 PM

Hmm well they seem to go inactive with Max's smooth stripes finder buttons, the ones that are inactive stay the same but the ones that are active go inactive just fine.
yeah thats what I mean, the non selected ones should be dimmed too when the window is in the background.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 29, 2003, 10:05 PM

Ya I agree with you on metafilizer being great.

Also I just noticed your side bar icons are bigger than mine, I seem to remember a setting for that somewhere, but I can't find it now.
As you drag the window up and smaller the icons dynamically resize.

Metallifizer DOES rule and I cant wait until the Final is available.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
So how did people demetalfize the finder? Explain how please?
http://www.unsanity.net/beta/metallifizer-13a1.zip

caution. it is a alpha release. so use at your own risk, until the final version comes out. But I'm using it right now with no problems.

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 11:46 PM

So I installed it .(Where U allowed to post that ?)
And my ichat is demetal... Safari too... but not the Finder window.. What's the trick ?
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 12:27 AM

Either you have to add Finder specifically, or you may need to log out for it to take effect.
|wishing is for suckers|

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 12:36 AM

You have to go to the Metalifizer prefs in teh APE manager, Choose "Add", and navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app . I had to add it on my G4 450 at work, but on my home comp DP 1.25Ghz, it demetalized the finder without me having to add it manually.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 01:01 AM

ok, so ive disabled metalifizer, and enabled whiteout. has anyone tried to apply smoothstripes over this? or do i have to be the guniea pig?

oh man
Dan.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
Either you have to add Finder specifically, or you may need to log out for it to take effect.
yep. log out. log in.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
ok, so ive disabled metalifizer, and enabled whiteout. has anyone tried to apply smoothstripes over this? or do i have to be the guniea pig?

oh man
Dan.
Whiteout is a theme. Applying another theme will replace the resources that Whiteout put there.
|wishing is for suckers|

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
Whiteout is a theme. Applying another theme will replace the resources that Whiteout put there.
youre right. it did was an odd either/or kidna thing... either i could have total whiteout (heh) or max's theme with a metal finder. thing is i kinda like the side frame on the metal finder (which whiteout maintains and metalifizer doesnt seem to) ho hum, so it goes. man if i only knew my a** from a hole in the ground when it came to themeing.

boo
Dan.

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 03:49 AM

Yeah.. I ain't that stupid.. I did all that and nothing.. On two Macs... So I dunno...
Oh.. mayb eI should log out..
Hahaha.. naaa just jocking...

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 03:57 AM

Mmmm this whiteout is very beautiful...
too bad it works on every bloody app.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 04:01 AM

My experience with whiteout:

Installed it... restarted... seemed kinda cool, but I prefer the brushed metal... the all white seemed a little too much white, esp with safari and browsing the net.

ran the uninstall app... ok, goto restart and just goes to a blue screen then back into my account with only the Dock. No menu bar; finder will not launch; no app will launch. Hard restart (hitting the power button does not bring up the restart menu but instead takes me to the blue background screen with the circling timer then back to my account with just the Dock)... same after restart. restart about 5 times, and all I get is the Dock. Neither finder nor any other app will run. Great.

Do a refresh install of OS X. back to normal now.

Just a word of warning on the whiteout uninstall script (screwed my OS X install up pretty good).
( Last edited by madmacgames; Oct 30, 2003 at 02:52 PM. )

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 08:39 AM

Sorry, I didn�t make myself clear, i know HOW to use metalfizer, been using it for as long as I can remember, but my finder.app is greyed out, so how do I add it?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 01:54 PM

Sorry, I didn�t make myself clear, i know HOW to use metalfizer, been using it for as long as I can remember, but my finder.app is greyed out, so how do I add it?
hmm.. I'm not quite sure. I just dropped the new one in and it worked. Did you copy the "Metallifizer.ape" AND the folder "__MACOSX" into the "Application Enhancers"folder? I did, and it worked first thing.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 30, 2003, 02:35 PM

I ran into this too, turns out I didnt have the newest alpha of Metallifizer 1.3 I had 1.2.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 02:43 PM

Going to reiterate what madmacgames was saying. I have to reinstall now too and I don't have much backed up (I'm stupid, because I have my homework okay, but none of my pictures. Everything I've taken is now going to be gone. Yay!)

Edit: I did an archive and install instead and everything came back to normal! I didn't lose an thing, but I'm staying away from Whiteout!
::Sigh of relief::
( Last edited by Stuphalina; Oct 30, 2003 at 03:46 PM. )

daniael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 04:54 PM

Going to reiterate what madmacgames was saying. I have to reinstall now too and I don't have much backed up (I'm stupid, because I have my homework okay, but none of my pictures. Everything I've taken is now going to be gone. Yay!)

Edit: I did an archive and install instead and everything came back to normal! I didn't lose an thing, but I'm staying away from Whiteout!
::Sigh of relief::
Hmm oh oh, can I use aquafix to uninstall Whiteout?!

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 05:01 PM

Wow.. Glad I read this.. I was going to uninstall whiteout on this computer.. Damn..

I don't think one needs to install the __MAC OSX Folder.. I think that's some kind of wierd bug.. I've had that folder apper in two other decompressed images of programs totally unrelated to metallfizer..

So who's gonna contaxt the guy who made whiteout ? ;-)

Oh my version of metalfizer (the one I downloaded from here does say 1.2 but I thought maybe that was because it was a beta ? Should it say 1.3 ?

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 05:01 PM

Hmm oh oh, can I use aquafix to uninstall Whiteout?!
Possibly. I'm not sure.

Oh, and for the new verion of Metallifizer, I refer you to this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=185664
( Last edited by Stuphalina; Oct 30, 2003 at 05:20 PM. )

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
I don't think one needs to install the __MAC OSX Folder.. I think that's some kind of wierd bug..
Actually I think that is a new "feature" in Panther for zip archives.. it stores the resource fork in __Mac_OSX and is supposed to merge it back with the file when being unzipped... only problem no applications yet support this (namely stuffit) except the built-in unzip in Panther...

I unzipped with Stuffit (automatically it did I should say) so that may have been the problem, but it installed ok, and the uninstall script seemed to run ok as well, until I tried to restart that is.

muller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 07:45 PM

The whiteout package has now been rebuilt to include a new updated uninstaller package that has been tested through multiple install/uninstall revolutions.

Sorry for any troubles the uninstaller script caused. The script was not properly moving the original Extras.rsrc back with correct permissions and has now been corrected by actually restoring a new stock 10.3 Extras.rsrc via an uninstaller package.

Anyone needing to immediately download the updated version to uninstall can get it here

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 07:54 PM

Now that that's taken care of, how d I get Metalfizer to work... Still says 1.2..

Also I can't get unzip from OS X to unzip it.. Stuffit just grabs it so I'm always geting that MACOSX folder...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by muller:
The whiteout package has now been rebuilt to include a new updated uninstaller package that has been tested through multiple install/uninstall revolutions.

Sorry for any troubles the uninstaller script caused. The script was not properly moving the original Extras.rsrc back with correct permissions and has now been corrected by actually restoring a new stock 10.3 Extras.rsrc via an uninstaller package.

Anyone needing to immediately download the updated version to uninstall can get it here

& while you're here...thanx for the app!
i'm totally enjoying it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 07:51 PM

ye gaad! Too white.. especially on my LCD. Afraid it's gonna burn something out

I don't mid the brushed metal "idea" per, it's more the texture... it's too *strong*. Just like the stripes were too strong on prev builds. I like my solution:

...keep the metal, get rid of the brushed. Not sure if anybody's done this yet... if so, sorry for wasting your time.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 09:20 PM

Actually i think an LCD pixel's OFF state IS white.. so its alot better for pixel life to display white, than say black. I read that somewhere.

Originally posted by 00101001:
ye gaad! Too white.. especially on my LCD. Afraid it's gonna burn something out

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 09:23 PM

Okay, maybe it won't burn out my LCD, but it'd burn out my eyes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules