Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal alarms not coming up?!

iCal alarms not coming up?!
Pheed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

Has anyone had problems with iCal reminders not popping up? I've had a couple pop up, but most seem to get lost.

Is it possible that this has something to do with my computer being turned off at the time the reminder is supposed to become active? In other words, if I have a reminder alarm set to go off at 6am, but I don't turn on my machine until 8am, will I lose the reminder?

I also tend to put my computer to sleep instead of shutting down. Regardless, I'm not receiving most of my alarms, and it's making iCal practically useless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 04:47 PM

I've had this, too. It's one of many things which make iCal unusable for me.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 08:22 PM

Anyone else? I've had these problems too...kind of irritating.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 02:16 AM

This thread is old, but has popped up again. After getting Panther, I tried yet again to switch to Mail/iCal. No deal. I'll stick to Entourage for now. I can't believe anyone uses iCal. Each "improvement" makes it worse. That drawer? Puh-leeze!

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 06:02 AM

I do use iCal and Mail, and work really great for me.

About iCal not showing reminders if the computer is sleep or shutdown... well it is imposible for any computer to do anything while shutdown or asleep, so I think iCal can't do some magic trick.

Maybe iCal could advise you after waking up or starting up of missed reminders while the computer was unable to show them. Sure but that makes the purpose of the reminders meaningless. I do use my Palm for that, keep it synched, and if I have my Mac turned off or asleep, my trusty Palm that never sleeps remind me.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:

About iCal not showing reminders if the computer is sleep or shutdown... well it is imposible for any computer to do anything while shutdown or asleep, so I think iCal can't do some magic trick.

Maybe iCal could advise you after waking up or starting up of missed reminders while the computer was unable to show them. Sure but that makes the purpose of the reminders meaningless. I do use my Palm for that, keep it synched, and if I have my Mac turned off or asleep, my trusty Palm that never sleeps remind me.
What the hell do think we're talking about here?!
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

mogura
Oct 30, 2003, 09:26 AM

Same problem here, no iCal alarms, either pop-up or email. I never put my computer to sleep nor do I shut down; up 24/7.

Funny thing, I send Apple a feedback on this issue and sometime right after that, I received an iCal alarm, but that was it, no more after that.

Happend in Jaguar, probably after updating iCal to 1.5.1 and now also in Panther.

I'd use Entourage, but it doesn't sync with .mac.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 09:50 AM

It came with iCal 1.5.1. Since then no alarms.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 09:52 AM

It prevents your monitor from going to sleep/energysaver-mode too... nothing more annoying than coming home at night and finding that your screen has been on since 9 in the morning... especially when its an LCD.

What I do it set my alarms to send an email. I always check my emails, so I see the alarms. Entourage's alarms are alot nicer than Apple's Mail, you can even select some but not all alarms visible and snooze just those, etc.

murk
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:

It works well in Entourage, especially if you (like me) usually set the alarm to remind you early and then hit snooze. That makes it more likely you will get the reminder when you do have your computer awake. Entourage fires the alarm as soon as you wake your computer. Anyway, iCal should also be able to wake your computer if you wish. I'm sick of forgetting to wake it for AudioHijack to record something. Apple need to implement some kind of scheduling system for this. Applications should be able to access it, and there should be a iCal calender that shows the wake/sleep events. This is something I hope will finally happen with 10.4.

krove
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 02:25 PM

I, too, have not been receiving email alarms from iCal. Rather annoying...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
What the hell do think we're talking about here?!
I am talking about this:

Originally posted by Pheed:
Is it possible that this has something to do with my computer being turned off at the time the reminder is supposed to become active? In other words, if I have a reminder alarm set to go off at 6am, but I don't turn on my machine until 8am, will I lose the reminder?

I also tend to put my computer to sleep instead of shutting down

This started the thread. Now, calm down, did my post somehow flame you?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 09:38 AM

actually
there ARE alarms. Check the bottom right hand corner of a finder window on a day with an alarm. Boo Yah.
Betcha didnt know that?
we don't have time to stop for gas

murk
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
actually
there ARE alarms. Check the bottom right hand corner of a finder window on a day with an alarm. Boo Yah.
Betcha didnt know that?
What are you talking about? There's nothing in the bottom right of my Finder window.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by murk:
What are you talking about? There's nothing in the bottom right of my Finder window.
You should have a resize box there.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 12:02 PM

uhmm I meant left hand side, an a little iCal picture appears. Clicking it takes you to the Alert.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 12:09 PM

but this is on 7b80...

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 12:54 PM

For those having trouble getting reminders to show up ---
Check into your contents folder of the iCal app and go into the resources folder. Find the iCal Helper thing and drag it into your Sys Pref Accounts - User - Startup Items. Logout and then login and it will start up the helper program that will do your reminders. I have tested it with email alerts and message alarms and it now works. It tried it with the iCal program open and closed and it works both ways. Try it - set some alarm for today and get it to notify you say 15 minutes before it is scheduled and see if it works for you. Why Apple didn't see fit to activate this automatically is curious, but it is included and does work.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 02:05 PM

You don't need iCal helper in your login items. I just had an alarm go on and I do not have an iCal helper or any other iCal related item in my login items (I just looked).
I don't know why it sometimes doesn't work, but that's not it.

ps:
PeterClark2002, that's not a Finder window, that is the iCal alarm.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

PeterClark2002, that's not a Finder window, that is the iCal alarm.
I know, But if you have active iCal alerts it displays a small icon in the lower left hand corner of Finder.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
I know, But if you have active iCal alerts it displays a small icon in the lower left hand corner of Finder.
Could you please post a screenshot of it. I have never seen that.

mogura
Nov 2, 2003, 11:49 PM

Yes, please, could you please post a screenshot of it. I also have never seen that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules