Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > App Idea

App Idea
codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 11:48 AM

I had an idea I though I'd share with you all. I love the coolness of the dock, but I love the functionality of FruitMenu. So I thought, wouldn't it be great to be able to combine the two.

Here's my idea. One would be able to specify a space (or spaces) in the dock that would launch a "sub-dock". You could have as many of these "sub-docks" as you like.

Basically you'd click an icon in the dock and a vertical sub-dock would spring out (preferably nicely animated). It wouldn't be the ugly text box that comes out if you put a folder in the dock and right-click it. It would be nice big (size adjustable) icons. Basically it would works just like the main dock, only vertical.

This would be great for folks like me that like to categorize my apps into sections (ie, music, graphics, internet, games, etc)

I allready submitted this idea to unsantiy a while ago. I never got a response, so I assume they're not working on it. If any programmers out there want to take a stab at it, be my guest.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 11:59 AM

thats a cool idea
we don't have time to stop for gas

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 12:01 PM

just use a folder.

-r.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
just use a folder.
You're missing the point. Folders are ugly and non-intuitive since you have to right or control click them. I know I COULD use folders, but I don't like to. I'm looking for a better solution.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 12:31 PM

Sounds like LaunchBar, except that his idea is using the Dock itself.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 01:06 PM

There is already an app out for this. I believe that it is called Dock Extender or something like that. I used it for awhile but I am not sure that it is compatible with panther.

deuxvingtsix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 01:13 PM

I give you an idea...

Use DragThing, with a series of vertical pallets,
aligned on the bottom of the screen,
with the automatic option opening by drawer...

A kind of Matrix to back...

I will post visual tomorrow of my desktop�

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
There is already an app out for this. I believe that it is called Dock Extender or something like that. I used it for awhile but I am not sure that it is compatible with panther.
Not really, dock Extender still uses the ugly pop-up text pallettes. I want something that is going to look GOOD.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 31, 2003, 01:25 PM

To extend this idea how about, if you put say a Photoshop icon in the dock and you mouse over it or click it the vertical sub dock will be a list of the recent docs used in Photoshop. Preferences could be set to whether you want it to be shown on mouseover or click and how many items you want to show.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 01:50 PM

I dig this idea

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 01:58 PM

codywalton: I like it!

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 02:13 PM

The man states his idea with icons (a cool idea) and there are at least three people telling him it's already done in text... God damn.. !!!
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 03:43 PM

I suggest you take a look at FLauncher... Not exactly what you're looking for, but you do get all your icons to pop out, all grouped in categories you specify (browser, desktop publishing, music, etc.) What I like about it is that it can be anywhere you please on the desktop, not in the dock.

FLauncher

Here's the direct download link, because it's not easy to find when you don't read japanese

FLauncher download

I don't know why this app didn't caught on because it's incredibly useful and simple to use...

Ooh, the website is Japanese, but download it and play with it for a while, you'll understand easily how it works.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
[B]I suggest you take a look at FLauncher... Not exactly what you're looking for, but you do get all your icons to pop out, all grouped in categories you specify (browser, desktop publishing, music, etc.) What I like about it is that it can be anywhere you please on the desktop, not in the dock.
That's interesting, but not quite what I'm looking for. See I specifically want mine in the dock. My idea is more of a "dock enhancer" rather than a seperate launcher alltogether.

I like Swiz's idea of having the option of app icons show a sub-dock of recently opened documents.

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 04:24 AM

hmmm, deja vu. wasn't there a thread on a similar idea several months back? I recall there was someone working on a program like this, but I don't think it ever was released.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2003, 05:55 AM

Darkcore,

Yup, same idea few months back.

Dock sucks.
Use Dragthing.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 10:07 AM

Like they said, this "app" already exists... Dragthing.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 11:18 AM

I. don't. like. dragthing.

People have been telling me to use it for years, since OS 8.5. I've tried it severall times (at least once while using Jaguar) and I never liked it. It was too clumsy for me.

Like I said before, I love my dock. I'm not going to stop using the dock. I just wish I could add a bit more functionality to it.

If it all comes down to it, I'll just go back to using FruitMenu again when the Panther version comes out.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 01:28 PM

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14907
Yadal (Yet another Dock application launcher) does the very same thing but as a standard menu.
click one

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
You're missing the point. Folders are ugly and non-intuitive...
Change the icon

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Change the icon
The icon is the not the problem. The text pallette that shows when you right-click a folder in the dock is the problem!!! That's what's ugly and bother me so much.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14907
Yadal (Yet another Dock application launcher) does the very same thing but as a standard menu.
Again, uses a text-menu... ugly. The opposite of my idea.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 2, 2003, 01:46 AM

I. don't. like. dragthing.

People have been telling me to use it for years, since OS 8.5. I've tried it severall times (at least once while using Jaguar) and I never liked it. It was too clumsy for me.

Like I said before, I love my dock. I'm not going to stop using the dock. I just wish I could add a bit more functionality to it.

If it all comes down to it, I'll just go back to using FruitMenu again when the Panther version comes out.
I agree, I am a registered owner of Dragthing and I have always gone back to the dock after a few weeks. The dock= Simple, effective, attractive; it just needs a little bit more customizability with regard to options.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
I agree, I am a registered owner of Dragthing and I have always gone back to the dock after a few weeks. The dock= Simple, effective, attractive; it just needs a little bit more customizability with regard to options.
Thanks, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one around here like that.

Not that I don't think DragThing is a well made program. It's just that there is no way it could compete with the simplicity of the Dock or the customability and fucntionality of the Apple Menu.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 10:44 AM

I'm currently using FruitMenu 3.1.1 with APE 1.4 and its working fine btw.

[B]If it all comes down to it, I'll just go back to using FruitMenu again when the Panther version comes out.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by keston:
Same here.
click one

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by keston:
Cool. thanks for the tip. The unsanity Panther page says it's not compatable yet, so I didn't even try it.

I still think the subdock enhancer would be a cool thing, if anyone wants to work on it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 01:20 PM

oops I'm not using 3.1.1, I'm using 3.2... You may have to download FruitMenu 3.2b from their weblog: http://www.unsanity.net/beta/fruitmenu-32b1.dmg (download link) Works really well, not sure why it's just a beta.
click one

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
oops I'm not using 3.1.1, I'm using 3.2... You may have to download FruitMenu 3.2b from their weblog: http://www.unsanity.net/beta/fruitmenu-32b1.dmg (download link) Works really well, not sure why it's just a beta.
Hmm... I just installed 3.1.1 and it's workin' just fine.

Oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules