Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Xicons lookin' kinda different , ,

Xicons lookin' kinda different , ,
brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 05:27 PM

Looks like Xicons is Bustin' a move - - - - -
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2004, 06:02 PM

xicons.com looks the same it always has. the link you gave sent me to interfacelift.net or something.

brazil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 06:14 PM

Please help us beta test our new expanded site, InterfaceLIFT.com.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2004, 06:39 PM

Well, I like it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 06:39 PM

Was that like a plug for a new site or something? Im confused...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2004, 09:34 PM

if you to to www.xicons.com it has a link as stated above... asking to test thier expanded site (interfacelift.com)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2004, 12:16 AM

*sigh*

Another Aqua webdesign. Will we ever get over it?

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 07:41 AM

I am with you on the aqua design thing, lets lose the highlights and bevels plz

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 11:57 AM

Cool site, though I'm worried about the future, say, when you have about 100 themes. It would kinda suck to have to go through 20 pages to check them out. What about having an option to view 20 or more of them at once?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Cool site, though I'm worried about the future, say, when you have about 100 themes. It would kinda suck to have to go through 20 pages to check them out. What about having an option to view 20 or more of them at once?
I agree! I'd much rather see all the themes on one page. Flipping thru page after page for no reason gets old.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 12:24 PM

Ya, I dont like Xicons for that reason either.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
*sigh*

not only does it look like it was designed using a two year old WYSIWYG button creator, but where is the future of XHTML+CSS!? I have always felt that XIcons.com was sort of a cheap site, accepting the icon sets that just took non-original ideas and added some aquafication to them.

well, at least it does not look like http://dcgogo.com/ , created by the 'internet guru.'

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 08:55 PM

*sigh*

I agree, we should be more creative than that.
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 9, 2004, 09:54 PM

*sigh*

I dont really consider this an Aqua design though just because the buttons are glossified.
The black and red combination is what I can't get over.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mac15
Senior User
Mar 9, 2004, 10:09 PM

Yeah, you think for a bit customization site they'd have a cool design right? They should take a look at MacThemes once in a while, now thats a damn cool looking design

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 12:40 AM

You guys all suck. Nothing but negativity on MacNN ... this is really getting old. IMO this is a well designed, simple to use site. Much better than XThemes.net. Everyone has their preferences, so you are of course entitled to not liking this design, but you sound like a bunch of freaking snobs. You GUI gods go and make your out-of-this-world websites, and let us mere mortals have our simple ones. Jesus.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
You guys all suck. Nothing but negativity on MacNN ... this is really getting old. IMO this is a well designed, simple to use site. Much better than XThemes.net. Everyone has their preferences, so you are of course entitled to not liking this design, but you sound like a bunch of freaking snobs. You GUI gods go and make your out-of-this-world websites, and let us mere mortals have our simple ones. Jesus.
You're taking it way too personal. Relax, take a deep breath

quandarry
Mar 10, 2004, 02:23 AM

hmmm...i just checked it out and it looks ok to me. maybe more on a page.

it is a test is it not?...so i expect they would like feedback.

sooooo....give them feedback.

you know adam...the glassy look has been around a lot longer than aqua.

scrollites comes to mind.. he been toiling away at that kinda stuff for eons.

http://www.blueskyheart.com

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 06:49 AM

If you read the thread, a lot of people have similar complaints, so either

a. they're all wrong.
b. they might have a point.

As a designer the first thing you should learn is how to accept criticism. I have loads of people telling me when I make a screw up, I don't see why other people should be treated any differently. I have rules for design, I don't make exceptions because someone is not a pro.

xspriter
Mar 12, 2004, 05:51 PM

thanks for the feedback on the new "design". i'll be the first to admit that there really is no cohesive or well thought out design at all. just a few elements, made by different people, that i stitched together. just needed something to launch with because worrying about it was slowing down the development process. now that the site is out the door i can start to focus more on how it looks, and that was the plan. well, once the known bugs are ironed out and I implement a few new features that i've wanted for a long time...

if anyone has a vision for how interface should look, consider this an open call for proposals. it's one thing to criticize a bad design, it's another to come up with something better. general concepts, sketches, or photoshop mockups would be greatly appreciated. i'd also like some help bringing it into compliance with standards, but have very little time to spend on this stuff. most of my effort is on posting content and modifying the backend code. if you want to help out, please let me know. There potentially free advertising and/or a some money in it.

i've heard a few other grumblings now about the 5 object limit per page. seriously, feedback is no good if it doesn't make it to my inbox. anyway, i'll probably be increasing that and/or making it custom configurable. originally it was a bandwidth issue, but that's less of a constraint right now.

i'll keep an eye on this thread for more feedback...

peace,

j
( Last edited by xspriter; May 13, 2005 at 03:01 PM. )

wreks
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 10:27 PM

I think the site looks ok. The simple design is nice because it doesn't get in the way of the content, but it certainly could be made cooler. The rating system is cool, the sorts/organization is nice. Some of the embellishments on macthemes are a little too much imho (seems the space could be used better, right now the blue background takes up almost as much room as the content). My main criticisms with Xicons/interfacelift are the annoying, "Should Martha go to jail?", "Choose your french fries!", "Free Lobster Dinner!", flashing banners and the 5 items per page thing. Both are good sites though.

xspriter
Mar 12, 2004, 11:07 PM

i'm now testing things out with 10 objects per page. looks like database load won't be an issue due to the way i'm caching content. if it works out i might implement a 5,10, or 15 object per page user preference. thanks for the feedback.

so far one person has offered to help out with bringing the site up to standards compliance. thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules