Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN Detective: Natalee Holloway Disappearance Mystery

MacNN Detective: Natalee Holloway Disappearance Mystery
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:23 PM

Some of the people here are current on world events and if so you know that a young woman from Alabama by the name of Natalee Holloway went missing in Aruba about a week and a half ago.

She was last seen in the company of three young men who state that they dropped her off at her hotel early in the morning. However, hotel security cameras do not show her return.

Aruban police detained the three young men for questioning then released them. They then arrested two hotel security guards and held them. They then arrested the three young men who last had contact with her. Today they released the two security guards and continued to detain the three young men. One of them is the son of a prominent Aruban judge, incidentally.

So, you be the detective: Who did it?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

There was speculation of a confession a few days ago, something along the lines of 'we will take you to where something bad happened' but I haven't heard anything further on the matter.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:27 PM

oj did it

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:31 PM

Was she blonde?

Anyway, it is sad to see the parents holding on the so much hope, perhaps their daughter will come back to them, but I fear her life is over.

I ask the question, who lets their friend go off with three strangers in a car all by herself?
Plus, the girl obviously didn't make the best decisions, unless she was drugged?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Some of the people here are current on world events and if so you know that a young woman from Alabama by the name of Natalee Holloway went missing in Aruba about a week and a half ago.

She was last seen in the company of three young men who state that they dropped her off at her hotel early in the morning. However, hotel security cameras do not show her return.

Aruban police detained the three young men for questioning then released them. They then arrested two hotel security guards and held them. They then arrested the three young men who last had contact with her. Today they released the two security guards and continued to detain the three young men. One of them is the son of a prominent Aruban judge, incidentally.

So, you be the detective: Who did it?
I think it was the judge's kid, since they first said he confessed and then came back and said, "Oh, never mind that. He actually didn't confess." That sets off my ********-o-meter.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:42 PM

i was certain i saw her in St. Thomas when i was just down there, but then i realized it was just another blonde drunken slut hanging out with locals.

i bet she od'd and they're covering their asses. sad, but even more-so , is that it's par for the course of the game these kids were playing.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:45 PM

Not to take anything away from the suffering of that poor girl and her family, but...
http://thepoorman.net/?p=179
NBC, CNN announce merger
June 11 (Bloomberg) — In a surprise move expected to send shockwaves through the world of TV journalism, CNN, the orginal cable news network, and NBC, which owns cable channels MSNBC and CNBC, announced a deal to consolidate their news organizations into a single giant news network. By pooling their journalistic resources, the organizations will be able to offer deeper coverage of the most important stories of the day, and will be better equipped to complete with current cable news champion FOX News. The new network - to be called Where the White Women At?, or WWWA - is set to debut this week.

At CNN President Jonathan Klein explained the deal at a press conference on Saturday. “For most of history, journalists could afford to spend their time covering wars, famines, politics, and business. The reason for this is that everybody knew where the white women were at - at home, probably in the kitchen, minding the kids. Sure, sometimes they were out shopping, or knitting at a friend’s house, or even working as an elementary school teacher, but, by and large, the location and status of all white women was known.

“However, society has changed, and the business of journalism has changed with it. These days, with the increased opportunities available to white women, we as a nation are losing track of even the prettiest white women. White women are dissappearing in Aruba, from their jobs as Washington interns, and even right before their own weddings. And while we do our best to give the public all the necessary information about missing white women, the job is just too large for any one cable network to handle.

“And it is not just the number of white women who are going missing that is the problem. There are also white women who aren’t missing, but whose location and situation demands public attention. There are white women on trial for drowning their kids, white women who are dead but nobody knows who killed them, and even some white women who are on spring break and drunkenly flashing their breasts. Clearly, the sheer volume of white women stories is beyond anything journalists have ever had to deal with before.

But even when we restrict our coverage to only the prettiest white women, the coverage is often superficial and redundant. Really: does the public need to hear interviews with Jennifer Wilbanks’ bridesmaids on MSNBC, CNN, and CNBC? Of course not. The public should be able to hear interviews with Jennifer Wilbanks’ bridesmaids on MSNBC, interviews with her coworkers on CNN, and commentary by experts in the field of missing white women on CNBC. However, today, the fragmented nature of the cable news business makes such in-depth coverage impossible. With this merger, we will increase the breadth and depth of our missing white women coverage, and so meet our sacred obligation to keep the electorate informed and aware about where the white women are at.”

The new network will consist of a WWWA channel, as well as WWWA Headline News, which will deliver all day’s key missing white women developments every half hour. Most of WWWA’s time will be devoted to covering current missing white women, but there will also be talk shows where groups of white men get together to discuss the significance of the day’s missing or imperilled white women. Additionally, there are plans for a game show, hosted by Tom DeLay and James Dobson, where family member compete in trivia contests and gross-out physical challenges in order to determine whether or not their comatose white women relatives are kept on life support.

For his part, FOX president Roger Ailes said the deal was no threat to his network. “WWWA will probably become the public’s most trusted source for white women news, but we at FOX view this as an opportunity. While WWWA is focused on white women, we will be able to satisfy the public’s curiousity about shark attacks, babies falling down wells, and celebrity murders, as well as the latest stories of Beloved Leader’s brilliant triumphs over terrorists, Frenchmen, and their villianous Democrat allies.”

WWWA debuts in most markets on Monday, June 13. It begins its exclusive coverage of white women at midnight with a six-hour special on Michael Jackson.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:46 PM

The Beach Boys did it. In Aruba, Jamaica, Oooh-I-wanna-take-ya, Bermuda, Bahama...

Um, yeah, they did it.
I, ASIMO.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:58 PM

It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 04:13 PM

My theory: It was either the one dutch kid, or the two brothers, because one of the two parties is lying.

The dutch kid says: The two brothers gave her a ride and were the last to see her.
The two brothers say: The dutch kid was the last to see her.

So either
  • (a) the dutch kid did it

(b) the two brothers did it

(c) They all did it, and are just trying to weasel their way out by lying and pointing fingers

I doubt there's a death penalty on aruba (netherlands), so either way, the murderer will probably be out chillin' on some beach in a few years, even if convicted and guilty.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 04:20 PM

I think the judge's kid is involved somehow.

Don't know how, but it's very strange.

And his father is a judge so of course they're covering their a$$e$.

I heard that right now they have found some duct tape, twine, and portions of a girl's bikini bottom in the scrub brush in front of the Marriott Hotel in Aruba. Some boys found it. The area is cordoned off and they are searching in the water.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2005, 05:01 PM

I feel strangely ambivalent, although I sympathize with the parents, who obviously hoped they had raised a child who could look after herself on a trip like that.

If "Girls Gone Wild" isn't a strong enough warning signal that there are awful, predatory people out there taking advantage of naive, spoiled teens who consider getting drunk on vacation a rewarding experience, I don't know what is. Personally, I hope to raise smarter kids. Even if she's found alive (and i doubt that), it's still a remarkably discouraging spectacle on TV.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 05:05 PM

I just heard that they have good reason to believe that she is in a pond there just adjacent to the beach.

Sad, sad, sad.

Yes, the mother of that girl should be really considering all of this - all mothers.

What kind of daughter have you raised if she would go off with three strange boys in another country? Seriously? Besides, if she had been MY daughter I would have been along for the trip, no doubt about it.

Oh, and one other thing? Those boys in custody? Their stories aren't matching any longer.

They're starting to crack.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yes, the mother of that girl should be really considering all of this - all mothers.
All shody parents should be.

Besides, if she had been MY daughter I would have been along for the trip, no doubt about it.
Is that because you feel you are incapable of raising a competent daughter?
or
Is that because you feel the need to protect an 18yo from the 'evil'?
or
or
or

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 05:29 PM

Honestly, I probably would NOT have accompanied my daughter on that trip.

I sent my 12-year old with 150 other kids from ages 13 to 18 (he was the youngest) to Baton Rouge on April 22nd for the National Academic Games Competition (where he finished 2nd in his area of expertise at the competition.) There were no problems and he stayed on hotel property as I instructed.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 05:32 PM

Oh, and apparently they have found condoms at this new site and if so there will be DNA to use.

Expect this story to get very interesting.

If the bikini turns out to be Natalee's then one of the boys must have harmed her.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 06:06 PM

Mr. Peacock, in the Conservatory, with the Candlestick.

You heard it here first.

Super Mario
Jun 14, 2005, 06:13 PM

If she was black this wouldn't even make the MacNN forum let alone the news.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 06:33 PM

and if the majority of the accused weren't black, it'd be nearly the same outcome.

sometimes i get the sense that if we weren't needlessly scared all the time as a country, then the news channels would shrivel up and wither back to the 6:30pm anchor days.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
If she was black this wouldn't even make the MacNN forum let alone the news.
So what are you trying to say ?

that. . . .

= MacNN ?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 06:54 PM

no, i think he's trying to say that it wouldn't have made an obscure online forum like MacNN because the case would not have entered the national scene the way this one has.

ease up there homey

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 14, 2005, 07:01 PM

Homey,

What is that supposed to mean?

Hmmm?!!!!!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 07:03 PM

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
no, i think he's trying to say that it wouldn't have made an obscure online forum like MacNN because the case would not have entered the national scene the way this one has.

ease up there homey
And I would disagree. If the circumstances were exactly the same, and a big group of American students were vacationing somewhere, and the girl who was abducted/kidnapped/murdered was black, and American, it would be on the news.

When was the last time a black, American student was murdered in Aruba while on vacation, and the media did not report about it ? If people are going to introduce silly racist theories, at least have some evidence.

I agree that many stories are overhyped/done to death on the news, but I fail to see what race has to do with this particular story.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 14, 2005, 07:33 PM

The last time anything bad happend there it was 10 years ago and from someone on a Cruise Ship... not even the Island of Aruba.

BTW: Any thoughts on how their judicial system runs over there? I guess one can be held indefinately there. All a judge has to do on a daily basis is say "We gotta hold'em for a few more days... and you are there to stay, until they say so.

I was sickened at HAIR-aldo Riviera's reports. Everyone was way out of line on this one, even when he interviewed the parents. First there was a confession, then there wasn't, blah, blah, blah, then they attacked the kid and dug into his background. What if he is innocent? They can slander all they want I guess. Even Fox was pissing me off.

boots
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
sometimes i get the sense that if we weren't needlessly scared all the time as a country, then the news channels would shrivel up and wither back to the 6:30pm anchor days.
You say that as if it's a bad thing....

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 08:44 PM

oh no. quite the opposite. for tv news anyway.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 09:47 PM

So, here's some good gossip.

Apparently the judge's son has an anger control problem. We're talking spoiled brat. He drives a very fancy sports car at the age of 17, he has a lot of toys, and he's been known to hang out in the bars even though he's underaged.

I say that the judge's son did something to the girl. They just have to figure out a way to prove it.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 12:57 AM

People go missing or get kidnapped ever day, but the news only covers the pretty/white ones. That is the truly sad part of this situation. Disproportionate resources going towards finding one person.

This is why I will never be found if kidnapped!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 01:03 AM

not that this is on thread topic or anything but i actually knew her personally. she went to my rivaling high school and one of my good friends dated her. i found out about her disappearance while i was in europe, a little nerve wrecking at the least.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 01:08 AM

With any hope, she's still alive. At least they have some good leads.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 06:23 AM

I think it's BS that some people here are so racist. They keep bringing up race over and over again. Why? Wrap your little brains around the fact that it is NOT because of race.

A few of you remember a week ago when I was talking about someone else who was tasered and it was all ovr the news...and she is black.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 06:24 AM

By the way, there has NEVER been another person murdered on Aruba - an outsider - like this. Not black or white or green or purple or red. None.

Sir Arthur Dent
Jun 15, 2005, 06:47 AM

So, here's some good gossip...
Good thing you're not sensationalizing this at all. That would be just plain disrespectful.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 15, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
So what are you trying to say ?

that. . . .

= MacNN ?

noo nonon

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 10:33 AM

Zimphire: You make me laugh ALL the time! WHERE do you get your pics? Do you sit around and make them up all day long? We need a Zimphire Gallery!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 10:54 AM

Zimphire: You make me laugh ALL the time! WHERE do you get your pics? Do you sit around and make them up all day long? We need a Zimphire Gallery!
I've seen some of his pictures elsewhere on the Net, but I'd bet that at least half of his collection is homebrew. My favorite is still the "Al Capowned!" image from a while back.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 11:01 AM

Oh, and apparently they have found condoms at this new site and if so there will be DNA to use.

Expect this story to get very interesting.

If the bikini turns out to be Natalee's then one of the boys must have harmed her.
Instead of a bikini, I heard that it was a girls panties along with the condoms that you mentioned. Smart of them to cordon off the are for a further search. I though the same thing, hopefully they can find usable DNA. That could answer the mystery of Natlee.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 11:09 AM

...and it turns out it was nothing.

I also heard speculation that she might have been taken to Venezuela. Venezuela is a 20-minute boat ride away.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 09:26 AM

This woman is missing. She disappeared in November 2004 from an apartment building parking lot.
Why has she gotten only sporadic coverage in the national media?

Oh, she's the one on the left

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 09:36 AM

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras

This woman is missing. She disappeared in November 2004 from an apartment building parking lot.
Why has she gotten only sporadic coverage in the national media?

Oh, she's the one on the left

Because she is not as white, as tall, nor as pretty as that white devil to her left.

And only $30,000 reward? I can make that in a year. With overtime. And selling meth on the holidays.
I, ASIMO.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 12:48 PM

She was either drowned at the lighthouse or sold into prostitution like another girl was 10 years ago.

You know why Arubs has no crime?

EVERYTHING IS LEGAL THERE!

macamac
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 04:16 PM

It's turning into more of a three ring circus as time goes on. I was quite upset to see Jeraldo Rivera over there smearing these young men, and more specifically the Van Der Sloot Kid, as much information was not even out yet. He was digging up dirt; interviewing the parents, and tossing out accusations. If it comes to be that they are actually a bunch of moronic kids that didn't know what to say because they may have contributed to her extreme drunkenness and she fell somewhere and has yet to be found. Kids lie at times, even when they don't have to! I think if this is proven, then Jeraldo Rivera should be publicly humiliated himself with a one-hour special on all his fantastic moments in his public and even private life. Anyone remember the chair to the head on his show? What about Al

Now though, I do believe these kids did have something to do with her disappearance. At least one of them knows what happened and may be responsible. They cast the shadow onto those two out-of-work security guards; one of them had the date rape drug in his house; there is clearly a case of special treatment involved as the authorities did not give the anonymity to the out-of-work guards initially arrested, but when the took the young men into custody they were allowed to cover themselves.

I sincerely hope they find this young girl alive, but if she is not, then at least this will bring closure for her family that is suffering. There is a helicopter searching for her. I don't know how they'll do it, even at night if she is no longer alive. If she is alive, which I find more far fetched day by day.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoomStick
She was either drowned at the lighthouse or sold into prostitution like another girl was 10 years ago.
Since she hasn't been found yet, I'm leaning towards the latter. And if that be the case, she is not in Aruba anymore.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Forum Links
Forum Rules