Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod...More to be paranoid about

iPod...More to be paranoid about
atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2002, 06:58 PM

My iPod has issues. 10 GB Touchwheel. When the remote plug is inserted and turned, the entire iPod shorts, resets and reboots. Turning the plug while it is booting causes the dead battery icon to reappear and disables booting, regardless of charge amount. At the Apple Store in Clarendon they were easily able to reproduce the error.

Oddly enough, my remote caused other iPods to short, and other remotes caused my iPod to short. So The short resets clock, clicker, everything. Playcounts are lost, but data remains intact.

It seemed like a new problem for the Genius Bar folks. Unfortunately they would not just replace it without the technicians looking at it first, and they have a one week backlog. As a result, I'm waiting for my mailer to send my baby back to Apple.

Curious to see if anyone has the same problem. And warning everyone else....

-atomium

lextek
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 07:44 PM

I've noticed in the past Apple will repair before replace. Usually there is a super, quick turnaround.

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by lextek:
I've noticed in the past Apple will repair before replace. Usually there is a super, quick turnaround.
I've just had too many nightmares with sending things back to Apple and then they can not reproduce the error. That's what I was hoping to avoid by going to the store. This one is pretty blatant and easy to reproduce, though. Hopefully it won't take long. I don't know how long I can make it without my iPod.

-atomium

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 05:00 PM

Been checking my repair status on apple.com/support and want to know if anyone knows how to decipher Apple-speak.

It reads:

Failure Validated.
Order for SVC WHOLE UNIT 10GB TOUCHWHEEL submitted.
Order for Product replacement submitted.

I'm assuming that this means that they are replacing my unit with a new one and sending the old one off for refurb. Anyone have a different take on this?

-atomium

Forum Links
Forum Rules