Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod on firewire hub?

iPod on firewire hub?
atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 10:47 AM

Any issues with using an iPod on a firewire hub? Or daisy-chained to another peripheral for that matter?

I think the 12" PBook is the one to make me finally give up my Pismo. Problem is only having one FW port. I keep my music library on a separate external FW drive. And obviously I'll need to have the drive and my iPod connected at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Side note: Christmas was good to a lot of people here in DC. I used to see other iPod users on the Metro about once a week. Since Christmas it's closer to 2 a day...

-atomium

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by atomium:
Any issues with using an iPod on a firewire hub? Or daisy-chained to another peripheral for that matter?

i don't have a firewire hub, but i do daisy-chain my ipod with no problems.
cube firewire port > firewire cdrw > firewire external harddrive > ipod. ipod charges and syncs, never had any issues, whether the cdrw or harddrive are on or not.
one post closer to five stars

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 01:47 PM

Excellent! Thanks, dav.

One more question....If the computer is asleep, but the drive it's daisy-chained to is powered up, will it still charge the iPod?

-atomium

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 03:57 PM

If the computer is asleep, but the drive it's daisy-chained to is powered up, will it still charge the iPod?
tentatively yes, but i'll have to confirm that tonight. (typically i just use the wall outlet adapter to charge my ipod.)

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 07:38 PM

If the computer is asleep, but the drive it's daisy-chained to is powered up, will it still charge the iPod?
well then... no, the ipod doesn't appear to charge while the cube is in sleep mode. odd enough though, while the cube is sleeping if i then connect the ipod it seems to charge, but renders the cube unwakeable. so all-in-all i wouldn't recommend leaving an ipod attached to a sleeping mac.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 08:36 PM

From Apple KnowledgeBase Article 60920:
Question 23: Can iPod charge while my computer is asleep?
Answer: FireWire charges in sleep mode only on the PowerBook G4 with a built-in DVI port and the iBook with 512K L2 cache and without an external reset button. For all other computers, you can purchase a self-powered FireWire hub, which will allow you to charge iPod and transfer music from your computer all the time, even when it's asleep. You can also use the FireWire cable with the included power adapter to charge iPod from any standard electrical outlet.

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
From Apple KnowledgeBase Article 60920:
Question 23: Can iPod charge while my computer is asleep?
Actually this was the first place I checked. Unfortunately, it doesn't address my question. I was wondering if it charged from an external Firewire peripheral while daisy-chained, not the computer itself.

Thanks for checking, dav. Sorry you couldn't wake up after it. I think I'll just avoid trying that one...

-atomium

Forum Links
Forum Rules