Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook and 17" ASD

PowerBook and 17" ASD
zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 09:04 AM

It's simple to connect the LCD displays to PBook, but how can I connect 17" PowerBook and CRT 17" Apple Studio Display? Any ideas?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2003, 09:13 AM

What kind of connectors does the ASD have? If it has VGA or DVI you can connect without any additional adapters (the DVI to VGA adapter comes with the computer). If it is only ADC you will need a DVI to ADC adapter which is around $150 from Apple if I recall correctly.

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 09:29 AM

I think the 17" ASD uses an ADC conneection...I can't be positive tho'. That would mean you would need to buy the $150 DVI to ADC adapter.

Look on the bright side...if you ever want to get an Apple LCD, you already have the adapter!
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

zilmer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 09:48 AM

Sh*t, found this on the web:

-----------------

http://www.barefeats.com/vga2adc.html

It says there:
Let me repeat. If you have one of those beautiful Apple 17" CRT's with the ADC connector, it will not work with a VGA to ADC converter. Nor will it work with any DVI to ADC converter. Gefen says it's Apple's fault and they have no way to kludge it into working.

-----------------

Damn you, Apple! I paid a load of cash for this monitor and now I can't connect it to the new PBook I am planning to buy??? Here's a middle finger to you, Apple!

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 10:00 AM

Um...that's the Gefen's connector. If you get Apple's DVI->ADC connetor, it should work.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Forum Links
Forum Rules