Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well, I finally bumped my iBook to 640MB...

Well, I finally bumped my iBook to 640MB...
vickster
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2003, 10:31 PM

Well, I jumped from 384MB to 640MB, and while it's too early to tell much of a diff, I do have one question:

I pulled out the 256MB stick and popped in the 512MB stick. Is it just me or does it seem like it's a tight fit due to the double-stacked chips (pardon the layman's vernacular). I can't quite get the latches to pop completely shut on either side of the new memory, but the memory seats okay, the iBook closes back together properly, and the memory's recognized (I'm typing on it as I write this). It just seems like it's not a "perfect" fit...

vickster

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2003, 11:22 AM

It is not just you. They are tight.
Congrats for new memory.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 26, 2003, 06:31 PM

Where did you buy the memory, how much did you pay, and any practical benefits?

Also, would my current 256 stick, at 133mhz, run on an iMac 600 G3? If so I may be able to convince my sister to share in the cost of upgrading to 640mb!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

biscool
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 08:11 PM

ibook ram won't fit in a G3 imac....

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2003, 02:51 AM

I also made the jump to 640mb this week (from 256mb) and it was well worth it. I wanted to go all out and buy crucial.com ram because of the good reputation they have so i went to ebay and found a used chip for 100$ So I snatched that up and everything has been working awesome since then. I can have tons of memory hogging apps open at once now For anyone who is having issues with speed try upgrading your ram before you plop down the money on a whole new computer. Another satasfied customer.

vickster  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Sosa:

Also, would my current 256 stick, at 133mhz, run on an iMac 600 G3? If so I may be able to convince my sister to share in the cost of upgrading to 640mb!
Bought the memory from a fellow arsian over at ArsTechnica - used, generic, but verified to work in an iBook, for just $67 including shipping. As for practical benefits, well, I guess I can work without keeping one eye on the dock to see how many apps are open, but as far as making my iBook "faster"- well, I don't know about that...

Oh, and the previous poster was right, iBook memory ain't gonna work with your sister's iMac, sorry.

vickster

mark2
Jul 28, 2003, 10:27 AM

vickster, the latches should fit fine, they should lock the RAM mod in place. I just put a 512 mod in my ibook, too.

It can take a surprising amount of pressure to get the module to seat properly. when the module is pushed all the way into the slot, the latches should lock it into place. Just push it in gently with your thumbs on the top edge.

vickster  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 06:17 PM

There's no problem in seating the ram. It's just that when you push it down for the latches to catch, it won't push down all the way because it's literally too damn thick. Now - having said that, once I cover it and reinstall my airport card, it's not going anywhere. It's recognized by System Profiler, and I'm typing on the iBook right now...

vickster

antisonne
Aug 2, 2003, 08:50 PM

Same here, Just put 512 stick in 2 weeks ago or so... Was a tight fit, the latches did go in place but because of the way i was putting it in they didnt 'snap'... But its in and it works, I paid 67$ plus shipping for my... (Had to have fedex 2nd day) so it came to 80$... But the regular shipping was only like 4$... I got my at coast to coast memory.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by biscool:
ibook ram won't fit in a G3 imac....
Why is that?

villa

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Why is that?

villa
iBooks use 144 pin SO-DIMMs. G3 iMacs use 168 pin SDRAM (at least our 350 does).

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by jtc:
iBooks use 144 pin SO-DIMMs. G3 iMacs use 168 pin SDRAM (at least our 350 does).
Ok, but Imac rev A B and C (up to 333MHz) are actually using 144 pin SDRAM. The memory from an Ibook would actually work in these older systems. I had this confirmed. The only limitation is the total memory that the Imacs can recognize. Some seem to be more limited thatn other (within a same revision even).

In summary, if you Imac has a G3 between 233 and 333 MHz, the Ibook WILL work.

villa

generic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2003, 12:19 AM

I just upgraded my ibook (600) to 640 mb. It made a world of difference in the applications I was using (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Office, etc). Everyone should make this investment.

radarbob
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Sosa:

I had a good experience with www.4allmemory.com

Right from the home page you go through a series of drop-down selections to pick your exact computer model. Then they display the various RAM modules that work w/ it. Neat. Several months ago I paid just under $100 for my 512MB module.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules