Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CAD or Tech Drawing package

CAD or Tech Drawing package
luckyjoe
Jan 20, 2000, 11:41 AM

I am looking for a decent drawing package to run on a 266mHz iMac Rev. C. I used to run Canvas 3 on a PB 540 and never upgraded to the more recent versions.

I need to create technical drawings for eventual manufacture by a machine shop. Dimensional drawing, contours, extrusion and shaping are is probably the minimum CAD-type feature I need, but more features would be welcome. I will not have to provide digital files for manufacture, only printed drawings.
Any suggestions for software?

Are there reasonably priced CAD programs or am I stuck with a kitchen sink like Canvas? Does the latest version of Canvas even perform well for this funcion?

Tom P.
Rev. C iMac

vatin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2000, 11:57 AM

Hi

I have used Diehl Graphsoft Minicad and now VectorWorks. Its a very nice package, well featured and can do almost everything you need and more. Also its very easy to learn and to use. I recommend you to visit their web page at:
http://www.dielgraphsoft.com

and download the tryout of VectorWorks.

In my opinion its the best not-only-architectural CAD avaiable.
Jose 'vatin' Restrepo

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2000, 12:23 PM

the link above is incorrect (because i just tried it). it's missing an "h"

use this one
http://www.diehlgraphsoft.com

tr

cejones
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2000, 12:37 PM

I agree, Vectorworks is the best mac CAD program currently available.

peewee
Jan 21, 2000, 12:44 PM

tra powerCADD, its really powerfull 2d app, easy to use isometrics when you buy the wild tool package too.
the light versions of both are reasonably at $350. it's absolutetly for pro's.
for easy to use 3d try designworkshop lite, best is: its free, though limited to angular shapes (in 3d).

Planner
Jan 21, 2000, 01:35 PM

Look at PowerCadd or PowerDraw Lite. I've used PowerDraw/PowerCadd since 1988. It is the best by far 2D package available. I've tried them all. As previously noted the PowerDraw Lite / Wildtools Lite bundle is about $ 340.00. For what you're talking about it will be great. These are by Engineered Software (www.engsw.com)
Good Luck. They also have a demo you can download to try it out.

Gordon Hawley
Jan 21, 2000, 02:16 PM

MacDraft is the best 2D CAD package out there - IMHO. ;-)

kevinm
Jan 21, 2000, 02:47 PM

Architosh is the definitive Mac CADD web site.They have descriptions and links to many CADD and related applications. http://www.architosh.com/

Cyberassassin
Jan 21, 2000, 02:48 PM

As far as what you are looking for, Vectorworks might be up your ally. As for the most powerful mac CAD Application, I use Archicad. It is one of the best for 2D and 3D. I woudl check out www.architosh.com. They have a great list of resources....

James M. Zavislan
Jan 21, 2000, 03:58 PM

The best package I can recommned is Ashlar Vellum 3D. We use it extensively. It is very easy to learn and is as powerful as Autocad. They even have a 2-D version of the program for $50.00 that is very good as well. We used to use Canvas and than we went to Vellum.

It can export to CNC machines and has IGES and DXF import/export. It is great.

biglouie
Jan 22, 2000, 11:34 AM

I have used Minicad since version 4 and now Vectorworks. Highly recommended for architectural and engineering use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules