Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > someone answer this ipod question for me before I buy one

someone answer this ipod question for me before I buy one
videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:14 AM

I am looking at the refurbished ipods on at the apple store, I would like to know the difference (or where to find the difference) between the new ones with the dock connector and the version prior to that without the dock connector.

is it just the size and thickness and the dock connector? or are there any software differences (this is most important to me)

help! I wanna buy this today (so it's here for the weekend

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
I am looking at the refurbished ipods on at the apple store, I would like to know the difference (or where to find the difference) between the new ones with the dock connector and the version prior to that without the dock connector.

is it just the size and thickness and the dock connector? or are there any software differences (this is most important to me)

help! I wanna buy this today (so it's here for the weekend
The older ipods (I have a 20 gig one; my wife has a newer 10 gig one) just connected via a regular firewire cable. They are about the size and thickness of a pack of cigarettes. The newer ones are just a little over half that thickness. They are smaller, with more rounded edges, and no moving parts at all (all of the buttons are touch-sensitive). They also have newer software.

I love mine to death. My wife loves hers to death. Get one if you want one. You won't regret it.

Cheers
Scott

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:20 AM

what are the differences in the software?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:23 AM

what are the differences in the software?
New ones can do playlists on the fly, and I think have some advantages in terms of contact management and whatnot. The new ones also have solitaire. All of this is available here:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/beyondmusic.html

The old ones require you to make playlists in iTunes. I have no idea why this is such a big deal. My 20 gig has most of my CD collection on it (around 4000 songs, give or take) and I never have any trouble.

Cheers
Scott

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:26 AM

actually the differences in contact management and such are important to me

thats what I was looking for

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:28 AM

actually the differences in contact management and such are important to me

thats what I was looking for
I don't think that there's any difference. Mine holds all my contacts and calendars and stuff just fine.

Cheers
Scott

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2003, 10:28 AM

Smart playlists on the new iPods will update while on the iPod (the older ones won't update until you plug them into a computer). That means that if you have a smart playlist that includes only things you haven't played recently, for example, the new iPods will delete songs from the list after you have played them on the iPod. It can be pretty useful.

The new software also has on-the-go playlists, which allows you to temporarily queue up songs or albums into a playlist without having to create the playlist ahead of time on a computer. It's only a temporary list and it doesn't get saved once you plug the iPod into a computer, though.

You can also customize the main menu of the new iPods, to just include those things you want (only artists, genre and the settings menu, for example, rather than everything).

The new software also has new games, but they're not really anything to get excited about. In short, the new software has a few nice features, but nothing earth-shattering. The old ones are a bit easier to use because they don't use the touch-sensitive buttons, and they get better battery life, but they are also thicker, and not as rounded in their design.

In terms of contact management and so forth, I think they are pretty much identical (they both suck compared to any PDA).

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:42 AM

sounds good, to the store!

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 10:48 AM

sounds good, to the store!
The apple store online has 15 gig refurbished for $279! It comes with the dock, remote, etc. - everything the newer 20 gig comes with for $120 less.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 10:50 AM

I got the 10gig no dock option one for $169 hopefully will be here before the weekend

Forum Links
Forum Rules