Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > old vhs camera -> mac ?!

old vhs camera -> mac ?!
poison
Oct 6, 2003, 06:26 AM

Ok, heres the deal. ive got a old vhs camera. how can i connect it to my mac (g4 quicksilver).i want to arange my video library and burn some CDs. whats a cheap solution? Can i just give the camera to a friend with a tv card and he does "upload" video and makes .avi files? or what do i have to do?

poison

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 09:40 AM

If the Camera only has s-vidio or componant out then you will need something like the Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge It works with iMovie etc. Unfortunalely they seem to nolonger manurfacture it, but you would probbaly be better looking for one on e-bay (people usually digitize that home movie, then they are finished with them).

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by poison:
Ok, heres the deal. ive got a old vhs camera. how can i connect it to my mac (g4 quicksilver).i want to arange my video library and burn some CDs. whats a cheap solution? Can i just give the camera to a friend with a tv card and he does "upload" video and makes .avi files? or what do i have to do?

poison
The TV card to .avi will work, but you'll have to convert the files to DV if you want to use iMovie. This will take a long time, and the quality won't be so great.

An easier (and cheaper) solution is to find someone with a DV camera that you can borrow for a day. Many (most?) have analogue in and can convert to DV on the fly. It's the same as the dazzle hollywood bridge (which I've used and works well enough), but it's free.

poison  (op)
Oct 6, 2003, 04:43 PM

jtc:
so you say that i have to hook up my old analog camera to a friends DV cam or how doe s this work ? hehe.. im not used with DV cams.Do they still use casettes or just a disk?

Well, ill do my best .. =)

poison

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 10:35 PM

A DV camera uses a miniDV cassette. You can use the stream option on many cameras though and avoid the tape. The canon zr-45 and up support this option. You canb also use the Canopus advc- 100 http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ad...m_advc-100.asp
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules