Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > PHPBB Install Trouble

PHPBB Install Trouble
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 04:10 AM

I am having trouble installing PHPBB. I have mysql properly installed and running on my system. I succesfully created a "dumby" database using phpmyadmin. I have gone into terminal using the command line and confirmed that the table with the associated data has been created.

I unzipped PHPBB, placed it into a folder called "forum" placed that folder into /Library/WebServer/Documents/kjocwebsite. I have changed the permission on the config file. I point my browser to the install file as suggested. I get the install screen and enter the data into the fields. However, every time I hit "enter", nothing happens- the fields just go blank and the page reloads. It is very frustrating. It is possible that I am entering one or more of the fields incorrectly. I enter the following:

database type: mysql 4.x
installation method: install

database server: localhost (i am testing this on my own machine)
database name: entered correctly
database username: I enter my mysql username (root)
database password: I enter my mysql root passowd (which I have set and confirmed that it works)
prefix for tables in database (default is phpbb_): I am not sure what to put here?

Admin Email Address: I put my email address
Domain Name: not sure what to put here, but I have tried a variety of things, including http://192.168.2.21. Again, right now, I am just testing this on my own machine.
Server port: I leave it on the default (80). But, I have tried 427.
Script path: I am not sure what to put here, but I have tried /forum/ (simply bacause I saw it on the flash tutorial)
Administration username: I give myself a username
Administrator password: I give myself a password.

When I hit "start install" the fields all go blank (except for the defaults) and it makes me start over. It is very frustrating. If anyone has any insights, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 2, 2004, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
I unzipped PHPBB, placed it into a folder called "forum" placed that folder into /Library/WebServer/Documents/kjocwebsite [...]

Script path: I am not sure what to put here, but I have tried /forum/
if you've installed into /Library/WebServer/Documents/kjocwebsite, then your script path should be /kjocwebsite/forum/

the leading slash tells the server the path from the root of the web directory - /Library/WebServer/Documents

there's every chance it's just as simple as that, but i'm not sat at a mac for another 10 hours, so i can't really check it out any further. sorry.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
if you've installed into /Library/WebServer/Documents/kjocwebsite, then your script path should be /kjocwebsite/forum/

the leading slash tells the server the path from the root of the web directory - /Library/WebServer/Documents

there's every chance it's just as simple as that, but i'm not sat at a mac for another 10 hours, so i can't really check it out any further. sorry.
That is the one thing I actually figured out on my own: for now still not working. The only thing I can think of is the domain name: I don't have a specific website that this is on yet- could that be the issue? thanks for the prompt response.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 2, 2004, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
The only thing I can think of is the domain name: I don't have a specific website that this is on yet- could that be the issue? thanks for the prompt response.
not an issue. you can install locally just fine.

ahem, as Simon pointed out in your other thread, i cover this very thing in my book
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 07:06 AM

I just left the script path field on it's default value when installing locally.

The perviable poo hit the fan when I migrated the forum to an external server and didn't adjust the path.

*remembers typing mysql statements by hand and all the fun that goes with it*

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 09:30 AM

I'd be happy to buy the book, but in the meantime- I'm losing sleep- is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? Does the book hold the answer? Can you give me a hint? Can I get the book at Borders? If so, I'll get it today.

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 09:52 AM

The phpbb team have a very supportive forum.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/

Forum Links
Forum Rules