Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight from 50 feet away - What's the best way?

iSight from 50 feet away - What's the best way?
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2004, 04:30 AM

I need to have the iSight 50 feet away from my computer (it has to be an iSight, no other webcam) How should I go about this? I've seen firewire repeaters at Fry's electronics but I'm not sure this is going to do it.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 12:14 PM

FW repeaters work well. I used to use an Orange Micro repeater without problems. You can also find long FW cables. 30'ers are fairly common, but there are longer ones, though all of these are a bit pricey. Gefen makes some nice 30' cables. Google for longer options.

ashtoash  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2004, 02:52 PM

The repeaters look pricey, I'll probably need to get at least two of them. Are there any other RCA/PCI (perhaps) combination 30fps video in web type cameras? The only reason I want this is I'm going to use the Mac with a combination of software for security

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 01:35 AM

PCCables.com has firewire repeater 16 foot lengths for under $20 each.

Forum Links
Forum Rules