Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > little app to put Trash in Finder window?

little app to put Trash in Finder window?
malcolm
May 2, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hi there,
Is there a little app that will put the Trash in the Finder window?
thanks,
malcolm

mchladek
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:14 PM

Do mean have the trash in the sidebar? If so ...

Well, this won't be the best looking, but what you can do is in open a finder window, hit cmd+shift+g, type in ~/.trash

That will show the trash folder. Then just drag the .Trash folder icon from the titlebar to the sidebar.

Like I said, not the best looking, but it works.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

You don't need an app to do it. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder... from the Go menu. Type ~/.Trash/ in the box and hit return. That opens your trash folder. Then click and hold on the small icon in the Finder title bar and drag it to your sidebar. Easy.

If you don't like the icon, you can navigate one level up the directory hierarchy and change the icon to one of your own choosing before you drag to the sidebar.

Finally, you can learn to use the contextual menu or keyboard shortcut (cmd-delete) for moving items to the trash and then you won't need it in the sidebar at all.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; May 2, 2005 at 08:19 PM. )

malcolm  (op)
May 2, 2005, 06:59 PM

Chabig - thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still confused. When I choose 'Go to Folder'... from the Go menu, there's no small icon for me to click and hold - - there's just a little window with a blank space, asking me to add the name of the folder I want to go to.
If you don't mind - - what am I missing here?
(I see what you say about Command-Delete, but for me, that's an odd finger-stretch. Maybe I could configure a Function key? If so, what's the best app to use to do this?)
Thanks,
Malcolm

mchladek
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 07:56 PM

Check out my post

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 08:20 PM

Malcolm,

mchladek and I both were trying to say the same thing, but I forgot to tell you what to type into that dialog box. I've since fixed it, but it's the same thing mchladek said to type.

Chris

malcolm  (op)
May 2, 2005, 09:33 PM

thank you both - I'll give it a try!
Malcolm

nashstradamus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 01:09 AM

what are you doing exactly to change the icon?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:20 AM

If you have konfabulator, you can have a trash can widget on the screen. Easy to use and no coding needed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by nashstradamus
what are you doing exactly to change the icon?
You change the icon of an item by selecting it and choosing Get Info from the File menu. Then click on the little icon in the Get Info window to select it and paste the image of your choice in there. You have to have write permission for the file to change its icon.

Chris

malcolm  (op)
May 3, 2005, 03:25 PM

Interestinly, I followed your advice, mchladek and chabig, and got a .Trash folder in the left-hand column. Then I used Get Info to copy an nice trash-can icon from a little app, but for some reason (I guess Finder is fussy), I can't use Get Info to replace the boring folder icon with this nice trash-can icon.
Would CandyBar help?
thanks,
Malcolm

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 08:13 PM

use the delete button.. i add it to the right of the search box in Panther.
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Interestinly, I followed your advice, mchladek and chabig, and got a .Trash folder in the left-hand column. Then I used Get Info to copy an nice trash-can icon from a little app, but for some reason (I guess Finder is fussy), I can't use Get Info to replace the boring folder icon with this nice trash-can icon.
Would CandyBar help?
thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm,

You've got it working. That's good. The thing with the icon is that you need to change it for the folder "before" you drag it into the sidebar.

Chris

malcolm  (op)
May 4, 2005, 09:23 AM

Hi again chabig,
For some reason, 'Go to folder' is now telling me the ~/.trash folder "cannot be found". So I can't give it this new icon (before dragging it into the sidebar, as you say).
Later today I'll try re-starting my computer to see if this helps.
I do appreciate the advice, though.
Malcolm

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 09:26 AM

That is strange. You'll have an easier time of this if you put the Finder window in column view before you go to ~/.Trash That way the folder will already be selected for you and changing its icon should be easy.

Chris

malcolm  (op)
May 4, 2005, 09:38 AM

It's the strangest thing, Chris. I've got my Finder window in column view. I create an empty folder somewhere to the right of the sidebar, give it the nice trash-can icon, then drag it into the sidebar... and the trashcan icon is immediately replaced by a standard blue folder icon.
And the 'Go to folder' command no longer works.
Unless I'm missing something obvious, I think I'll just give up - - I don't want to waste any more of your time!
Malcolm

malcolm  (op)
May 4, 2005, 09:41 AM

Chris!!! I just created another folder with the right icon, and then got it into the Sidebar (and it kept its trashcan icon) by using the 'Add to Sidebar' command in the File menu.
So thanks for all your help and patience. Another mini-crisis resolved!
Malcolm

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Chris!!! I just created another folder with the right icon, and then got it into the Sidebar (and it kept its trashcan icon) by using the 'Add to Sidebar' command in the File menu.
So thanks for all your help and patience. Another mini-crisis resolved!
Malcolm
That's good news. If the Finder is beginning to act up that way, it may be time to just log out and then log back in. Sometimes that fixes problems like that. Or you can relaunch the Finder using the Force Quit command from the Apple menu.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules