Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 30 Free Songs with Airport Express: What does it really mean?

30 Free Songs with Airport Express: What does it really mean?
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 04:37 PM

Apple is giving you 30 free songs with the airport express.

Which of the following are probably true?

A) Is this just a way to lower the price since other wireless routers are much cheaper?
B) Are they lowering the price because version 2 of the AE is coming out (with new features) and this is a way to clear out inventory?
C) Has this product been successful outside of the hardcore mac community (read macnn members). Are they lowering the price to generate sales?
D) If a new AE is on the way with more features will the original stay on sale as a cheaper alternative or will it go away?
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

ghporter
Administrator
May 4, 2005, 04:58 PM

I'd go with A, B and C being true, and since D isn't true/false, I'd say "maybe for a while" and then "probably yes."

To my way of thinking, they are indeed trying to ramp up sales, and doing so by trying to generate interest in non-iPod products within the non-Mac community. Free songs gets the attention of the self-described "young and hip" market segment (though the definition of "hip" is always subject to debate).

Generating a run on a product you're about to replace does two things: it reduces inventory and creates demand-which can only be satisfied by the new product.

I don't think that the Express has made much of an inroad in the non-Mac community, but that is only because it's an Apple product and people are used to Apple stuff only working with Macs. Give it time...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

poulh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 05:49 PM

my main reason for asking is i already have one ae hooked up to my office stereo/printer. i want to put a 2nd one behind the tv for the surround sound, but this deal makes me wonder if i should wait to see if a remote is in the works.
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

Forum Links
Forum Rules