Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why does Apple design its software in such a limiting fashion?

Why does Apple design its software in such a limiting fashion?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 06:55 PM

We all work differently, have different habits, rely on certain apps more than others, etc.

I understand that Apple's design goals in developing apps like Safari, Mail, iCal, etc. are to make things as easy and intuitive as possible, particularly for novice users - this is great. However, many of Apple's apps (including OS X itself) are also quite inflexible, forcing more advanced users (and possibly even some novice users) to play along how Apple envisioned, as if Apple knows how you best work.

Thinking in terms of HCI, there is nothing wrong with advanced features so long as they reveal themselves only when the user is looking for them (i.e. don't clutter the meat and potatoes of the interface and make it look busy with all of these bells and whistles). One great way to do this is to develop a plug-in archecture to allow third-parties to write add-ons for the software. This way, the user can decide exactly what bells and whistles they desire.

I've already left Safari, I'm on the verge of leaving Mail because I don't want to install little hacks that could break from Apple update to Apple update and are awkward to install and maintain. If Apple would document plug-in API, they could control how these plug-ins interact with their software, and they can work with third-party developers to make sure that stuff doesn't break or have to work in such a hack-like, possibly even insecure fashion.

Really, I want to have my cake and eat it too, and I don't see any reason why I can't.

Why doesn't Apple make their software more extensible, and in doing so force some users to look for solutions elsewhere?

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 09:20 PM

Someone been reading some John Gruber?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sage
Someone been reading some John Gruber?

I hadn't until you turned me on to this guy

Interesting that he is saying similar things, although I wasn't thinking along the lines of opening up source to all the apps - just in making an open plug-in archetecture.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 04:26 AM

Several things:

Apple has said in regard to the iPod that they're very, very reluctant to add ANY features, because they can never take them out. If it turns out a feature is confusing or not implementable in a logical fashion (see "cut" and paste of files), it's too late once it's in. You can't remove it without half the community screaming bloody murder.

"Advanced" features aren't added if they break paradigms or concepts, or if they cannot be added without getting in the way of non-advanced users. Best example of this is the multi-button mouse. Apple waited TWENTY YEARS to build a multi-button mouse, because it took them THAT LONG to build the technology (with the sensors and all) that allowed them to ship it as a single-button mouse by default. Four-button support is there if you explicitly look for it, but you'd never guess just looking at the thing: No confusion, since the only ones who can access the feature are those who explicitly look for it.

Same approach to tabbed browsing in Safari.

I'm curious: what features specifically are you missing in Safari and Mail that make you jump ship?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Several things:

Apple has said in regard to the iPod that they're very, very reluctant to add ANY features, because they can never take them out. If it turns out a feature is confusing or not implementable in a logical fashion (see "cut" and paste of files), it's too late once it's in. You can't remove it without half the community screaming bloody murder.
That's why a plug-in archetecture would allow third-parties to "take it from here" without Apple having to worry about this sort of thing.

I'm curious: what features specifically are you missing in Safari and Mail that make you jump ship?
Mail: a ton of features...

- Profile/identity support so that I can switch between reply-to settings within an individual account
- The ability to indicate subscriptions for specific mail folders
- The ability to indicate caching for specific mail folders
- I prefer Enigmail over the third-party Mac PGP mail thing (which seems like an awkward hack)
- An RSS reader
- Richer rule creation interface

Thunderbird has all of this, although I can't seem to find a way to increase/decrease quote level in Thunderbird, and the key bindings are not what I expect. I haven't yet looked to see what sorts of quote options are available in extensions.

Safari

- drag and dropable tabs
- an ad blocker/session support mechanism that doens't constantly break after each Apple update
- The Firefox Tab Mix Plus extension has a *ton* of features that make tabs more useful, such as visual indication as to which tabs have or haven't been read, whether to open page requests from third-party apps in a new tab or new window, etc.

I'm also using Firefox because it doesn't get slower the more I use it, and because of greater compatability. I do wish that Firefox would work with the OS X dictionary though. I haven't yet looked for an extension which provides this support though. It would also be nice if Firefox's application "open with" support leveraged the choices available in the Finder.

dru
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 10:19 AM

Make a list of the menu items whose keybindings you want to change. I think you can change the key bindings for Thunderbird in "System Preferences" -> "keyboard & Mouse" -> "Keyboard Shortcuts"... click the "+" and select "Thunderbird" from the menu. Type in the menu item's title in the appropriate field, then enter your preferred keybinding.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by dru
Make a list of the menu items whose keybindings you want to change. I think you can change the key bindings for Thunderbird in "System Preferences" -> "keyboard & Mouse" -> "Keyboard Shortcuts"... click the "+" and select "Thunderbird" from the menu. Type in the menu item's title in the appropriate field, then enter your preferred keybinding.

Good suggestion, I might give that a try!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
- an ad blocker/session support mechanism that doens't constantly break after each Apple update
PithHelmet disables itself by design when a newer version comes out. The last several versions have only needed to update the version number checking routine.

Complain to the guy who makes PithHelmet, not Apple.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
PithHelmet disables itself by design when a newer version comes out. The last several versions have only needed to update the version number checking routine.

Complain to the guy who makes PithHelmet, not Apple.

No, Apple deserves my complaining here.

When Firefox moved from 1.0 to 1.5, the plug-in API was documented, and there was a very clear path for developers to migrate their software to the new API at their leisure. All 1.0.x or 1.5.x releases do not break Firefox or Thunderbird extensions, developers can count on having their extensions work until the next major release of Firefox/Thunderbird, and plan around these releases.

Mail and Safari add-ons are essentially hacks. There is no set API for adding these extensions, there are no guidelines, no forewarning as to when things might start to break, no migration path. Only Apple can make things so that these developers don't have to develop hacks.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 12:32 AM

I suppose that's why there's a diverse group of 3rd party email applications each containing a set of these wonderful features that Apple forgot.

Unless Apple adopts Extensions and Themes architecture -- which I think is unlikely.

And there's Applescript.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by cc_foo
I suppose that's why there's a diverse group of 3rd party email applications each containing a set of these wonderful features that Apple forgot.

Unless Apple adopts Extensions and Themes architecture -- which I think is unlikely.

And there's Applescript.

Why doesn't Apple just open up these sorts of apps to allow these sorts of options for those that want it? Apple wouldn't even have to do the legwork of implementing these features, just provide the hooks. It is hard to compete with Apple in several areas, yet Apple doing this sort of thing makes their apps less useful to a certain population. Granted, this is not their target population, but appeasing this population seems like such low dangling fruit.

Applescript is one way of allow stuff to be hacked on to apps, but it is just a scripting language. You could not attach PGP support onto Mail with Applescript, for instance, in any usable way.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 12:56 AM

Why doesn't Apple just open up these sorts of apps to allow these sorts of options for those that want it? Apple wouldn't even have to do the legwork of imple...
Because Apple engineers haven't written the code necessary to support a robust plug-in architecture?

*Maybe* the powers-that-be at Apple feel that creating and maintaining such a plug-in architecture for Safari, Mail (and I suppose iTunes, iPhoto, iWeb) etc is unlikely to contribute to Apple's ultimate aim: profit maximization.

It's not difficult to see your point of view. There are very extensible software out there that meet your needs.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 01:38 AM

Because they don't want to support users running crappy-but-made-with-a-supported-API plugins.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Because they don't want to support users running crappy-but-made-with-a-supported-API plugins.
That's probably the winner, right there.

How many threads do we have here after every system update where users complain that their entire e-mail archive is dead, or rules don't work, or Safari is crashing on launch, or whatever, and it turns out that they're using some plug-in?

Happens fairly frequently.

And I'll guess that most people savvy enough to search out plug-ins and install them are smart enough to figure that that might be the problem and never even post here.

That, however, changes drastically when you include an official, open plug-in architecture.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
That's probably the winner, right there.

How many threads do we have here after every system update where users complain that their entire e-mail archive is dead, or rules don't work, or Safari is crashing on launch, or whatever, and it turns out that they're using some plug-in?

Happens fairly frequently.

And I'll guess that most people savvy enough to search out plug-ins and install them are smart enough to figure that that might be the problem and never even post here.

That, however, changes drastically when you include an official, open plug-in architecture.

Doesn't make complete sense.... I could still hose my copy of Safari, Mail, whatever with some third-party hack. I'd say my chances of doing so are actually less with something more supported, and all Apple would have to do is provide a "show extensions" window with uninstall or disable buttons (like Firefox/Thunderbird) when it is necessary to check to see what has been installed, or to temporarily disable these extensions.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine

Who says they do? They could just have the user temporarily disable these plugs, just like we used to do with OS 9 extensions, and still do today with kernel extensions and other third-party hacks (such as the Haxies).

An interface to temporarily disable these plugs would actually provide an even more supportable model, IMHO.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 09:04 AM

They could just have the user temporarily disable these plugs, just like we used to do with OS 9 extensions, and still do today with kernel extensions and other third-party hacks (such as the Haxies).
Yeah, because when I think back to what I miss most about Mac OS 9, it's Extension Manager.

Apple only recently--with Tiger--said that the core APIs were not going to change substantively in subsequent versions for awhile.

Wait until applications like Safari and Mail reach the same level of maturity and then start clamoring for a documented plugin architecture.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
Yeah, because when I think back to what I miss most about Mac OS 9, it's Extension Manager.

Apple only recently--with Tiger--said that the core APIs were not going to change substantively in subsequent versions for awhile.

Wait until applications like Safari and Mail reach the same level of maturity and then start clamoring for a documented plugin architecture.

Hey, who says a plugable archetecture has to be like OS 9 and the extension manager? I can name a ton of really solid stuff that is based on a plug-in archetecture. You don't have to look much further than Unix itself to see an example of this, and for the most part OS X seems to be pretty modular in its approach.

I'd say that Safari is already pretty modular - it's rendering engine is portable, that's the meat and potatoes of the app. Mail, it's been around for years! If it's not mature now, when will it ever reach maturity?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 09:47 AM

Why is it that everytime somebody says something constructive about OS X, people are quick to defend it.

OS X is great, but I also call it like it is. If something could stand improvement, it should be improved.

That's just my approach, FWIW.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 10:14 AM

Why is it that everytime somebody says something constructive about OS X, people are quick to defend it.
"Why does Apple design its software in such a limiting fashion?" is not constructive criticism.
Mail, it's been around for years! If it's not mature now, when will it ever reach maturity?
Software "maturity" is not judged on age alone. Mail has undergone major changes with each major OS version (including even more drastic changes to come in Leopard).

When you publish (and support) a plugin API for a piece of software, you have two choices if you want to effect drastic change in that software:

1) Break it (creating work for your external developers)
2) Stay chained to decisions you made years ago (creating work for your internal developers)

I'd say that Safari is already pretty modular - it's rendering engine is portable, that's the meat and potatoes of the app.
Great. Then it shouldn't be too hard for you to write your own browser that does what you want using WebKit, right?

Apple apparently doesn't want to spend a lot of time and money supporting plugin APIs for Mail and Safari, otherwise they'd exist and maybe even be well-documented.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 10:27 AM

"Why does Apple design its software in such a limiting fashion?" is not constructive criticism.
Why not?

When you publish (and support) a plugin API for a piece of software, you have two choices if you want to effect drastic change in that software:

1) Break it (creating work for your external developers)
This is not a bad choice. Plug-in developers develop knowing that they are tied to what Apple does or doesn't do with their software, this sort of thing comes with the territory in these sort of situations.

There are tons of users who count on products with pluggable extensions too, this is certainly not unprecedented.

Apple apparently doesn't want to spend a lot of time and money supporting plugin APIs for Mail and Safari, otherwise they'd exist and maybe even be well-documented.

I understand the return on Apple's investment argument, but I can't see why this sort of thing would not indirectly result in Apple benefitting.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 10:38 AM

Why not?
You phrased it not as, "It would be handy for third-party developers who want to extend core applications such as Mail and Safari if there was a documented API for this," but instead as a whiny question. Mail and Safari aren't designed to limit you. They're just not designed to be extended easily. There's a difference between the two statements.
I understand the return on Apple's investment argument, but I can't see why this sort of thing would not indirectly result in Apple benefitting.
What benefit does Apple get from making it easier for potentially buggy code to be injected into its applications?

Does your NetMusician software have a well-documented plugin architecture that allows your clients to extend it to suit their purposes?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 10:57 AM

You phrased it not as, "It would be handy for third-party developers who want to extend core applications such as Mail and Safari if there was a documented API for this," but instead as a whiny question. Mail and Safari aren't designed to limit you. They're just not designed to be extended easily. There's a difference between the two statements.
Okay, point taken. Perhaps a little nit-picky, but probably best to leave this one...

What benefit does Apple get from making it easier for potentially buggy code to be injected into its applications?
People are injecting (possibly buggy) code into their applications whether Apple wants it or not. I've seen add-on hacks for Mail, Safari, iPhoto, and iChat (if you include Growl stuff). All of the theming stuff could also be included here, and this is happening regardless of Apple's wishes.

Does your NetMusician software have a well-documented plugin architecture that allows your clients to extend it to suit their purposes?
Yeah, it does. For starters, I'm on the verge of releasing it as open source (I'd do so sooner if I felt it would be useful in its current form). I've also written it to be modular in its design.

In Unix software development, I'd say that modular designs are the standard, not the exception, and Apple's software designs usually abide by these conventions, for the most part...

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 11:06 AM

People are injecting (possibly buggy) code into their applications whether Apple wants it or not. I've seen add-on hacks for Mail, Safari, iPhoto, and iChat (if you include Growl stuff). All of the theming stuff could also be included here, and this is happening regardless of Apple's wishes.
Yes. It's happening. That doesn't mean Apple has to give it the Apple Seal of Documentation/Support Approval, nor does it even mean that they should.
Yeah, it does. For starters, I'm on the verge of releasing it as open source (I'd do so sooner if I felt it would be useful in its current form). I've also written it to be modular in its design.

In Unix software development, I'd say that modular designs are the standard, not the exception, and Apple's software designs usually abide by these conventions, for the most part...
Once again, you're missing the point. Here, I'll repeat it, but with capital letters and bold.

MODULARITY AND EXTENSIBILITY VIA A WELL-DEFINED API ARE NOT AT ALL THE SAME THING.

Safari, explained simply, is a WebView and a UI that tells that WebView how to behave. I'm not as familiar with Mail's architecture, but it's modular (we already know it uses the AddressBook API and will hook into iCal's APIs soon as well).

So, I ask once again: does your software have a well-documented and well-defined mechanism by which I can add ONE FILE and substantively alter how it works and renders?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 11:13 AM

Yes. It's happening. That doesn't mean Apple has to give it the Apple Seal of Documentation/Support Approval, nor does it even mean that they should.
Once again, you're missing the point. Here, I'll repeat it, but with capital letters and bold.

MODULARITY AND EXTENSIBILITY VIA A WELL-DEFINED API ARE NOT AT ALL THE SAME THING.

Safari, explained simply, is a WebView and a UI that tells that WebView how to behave. I'm not as familiar with Mail's architecture, but it's modular (we already know it uses the AddressBook API and will hook into iCal's APIs soon as well).

So, I ask once again: does your software have a well-documented and well-defined mechanism by which I can add ONE FILE and substantively alter how it works and renders?

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to argue here, or whether you are just critiquing my points for accuracy, but I'm intrigued nonetheless...

My software is web-based, so comparing it to an OS application is a little Apples vs. Oranges. Like all modern web-based stuff, you can change the look of the NetMusician Webkit by changing the single CSS file, you can replace images, you can replace the default database values, and you can add your own components by dropping in your folder and defining it by adding a single database entry. The GUI allows you to remove modules, and the website templates are freely customizable as well.

All of this is not yet well-documented, but it has been well thought out.

Again, I'm not entirely sure why you feel that my CMS can be accurately compared to something like Safari or Mail?

My point about modularity was essentially that this sort of software design makes creating a pluggable archetecture that much easier, AFAIK.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 11:37 AM

My point about modularity was essentially that this sort of software design makes creating a pluggable archetecture that much easier, AFAIK.
Great.

But you haven't given a compelling reason why Apple should expend the effort necessary to create and maintain public APIs for this.

Those who want the functionality can either use another program (Thunderbird, Firefox, Lightningcow, Lavadog, etc.) or use third-party hacks to get it. It's really not worth Apple's time to document and support the APIs necessary for it. It's not that Apple has purposely limited Safari and Mail so much as it is that Apple hasn't bothered to write a plugin architecture because it's really not that important.

Which of the following do you think is a higher priority for Apple's finite software engineering resources?

"Wow, the Finder really kinda sucks!"
"Man, PithHelmet relies on undocumented functionality to extend Safari!"

I know which one I consider to be more important.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 11:45 AM

Great.

But you haven't given a compelling reason why Apple should expend the effort necessary to create and maintain public APIs for this.

Those who want the functionality can either use another program (Thunderbird, Firefox, Lightningcow, Lavadog, etc.) or use third-party hacks to get it. It's really not worth Apple's time to document and support the APIs necessary for it. It's not that Apple has purposely limited Safari and Mail so much as it is that Apple hasn't bothered to write a plugin architecture because it's really not that important.

Which of the following do you think is a higher priority for Apple's finite software engineering resources?

"Wow, the Finder really kinda sucks!"
"Man, PithHelmet relies on undocumented functionality to extend Safari!"

I know which one I consider to be more important.

Are you looking for a businessey answer (i.e. profit potential) as to why Apple should expend the effort, or more of a technical answer explaining what they, and end-users might gain?

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 11:58 AM

Are you looking for a businessey answer (i.e. profit potential) as to why Apple should expend the effort, or more of a technical answer explaining what they, and end-users might gain?
I'd like you to explain why Apple should expend its engineering effort (which has a cost, both up front and ongoing) to establish, document, and maintain a plugin API that brings them no financial benefit whatsoever (or do you honestly think Apple would sell more Macs if PithHelmet used a documented API?) and whose potential technical benefits (to Apple itself) are dubious at best.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 12:06 PM

I'd like you to explain why Apple should expend its engineering effort (which has a cost, both up front and ongoing) to establish, document, and maintain a plugin API that brings them no financial benefit whatsoever (or do you honestly think Apple would sell more Macs if PithHelmet used a documented API?) and whose potential technical benefits (to Apple itself) are dubious at best.

Financial gain:

- more viability and value of Apple's bundled products in business and places where workflow is a little more complex, without having to buy additional software at a flat rate or per seat.

- more developers interested in developing stuff for Apple which in turn leads to more consumer choice and attractive options for consumers, which leads to increased hardware sales

- more OS sales

Technical gain (what Apple gains):

- Apple: outsourcing of additional features to third-parties

- more developers (potentially)

- greater application user base, greater leverage from this increased user base

- a potentially better (more flexible) product which can be marketed

- an opportunity to market these plug-ins just as Apple has done with Dashboard widgets

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 12:13 PM

Technical loss:
- inviting crappy third party code decreases stability

Financial loss:
- decreased stability leads to increased support costs and loss of sales

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Technical loss:
- inviting crappy third party code decreases stability
We've been through this. People are writing hacks regardless. Providing a better means to do so can only help, IMHO. Besides, these plug-ins need not be crappy.

Financial loss:
- decreased stability leads to increased support costs and loss of sales
I installed this hacky thing to Safari months ago, and I tried to remove it, but now everytime I startup Safari I get this warning saying that my plug-in has been disabled. If my plug-in were still valid and some grandkid installed some hack for grandma, good luck getting grandma to remove these sort of hacks as they exist now. I'd say this makes for more instability than an elegent solution to enable/disable plugs.

Still not sure why my idea seems so wildly unpopular... maybe somebody could explain?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 12:23 PM

We've been through this. People are writing hacks regardless.
But people know they don't have support from Apple and do it on their own risk.
Besides, these plug-ins need not be crappy.
But some will and Apple has no way to control the quality of that code. So they don't want to support it.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
But people know they don't have support from Apple and do it on their own risk.But some will and Apple has no way to control the quality of that code. So they don't want to support it.

Who says that Apple would have to support these plugs? Pretty simple, if you want support from Apple, Apple will make you disable these plugs. In fact, having an interface to do so makes things much easier for Apple, as it removes the guess work as to whether or not somebody installed some hack and forgot about it.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 12:55 PM

I think the more basic question is:

"Why does it have to be Mail and/or Safari that does this?"

Mail and Safari are not intended to be end-all/be-all apps, whether by design or by plugin. Safari's good, but it didn't do all that I wanted - so I got OmniWeb. Just because Safari doesn't do everything I wanted doesn't mean it's a bad program. It just means it currently doesn't do what I want. It obviously does more-or-less exactly what a great number of people want, though. They're not wrong, and I'm not wrong. Different apps for different people. Mail and Safari have their goals & purposes, which may or may not meet your needs. If they do, great - use them, and enjoy them (I love Mail, for example). If not, look for alternatives.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 01:20 PM

Financial gain:

- more viability and value of Apple's bundled products in business and places where workflow is a little more complex, without having to buy additional software at a flat rate or per seat.
Plugins can cost money, too, just like big boy software.
- more developers interested in developing stuff for Apple which in turn leads to more consumer choice and attractive options for consumers, which leads to increased hardware sales
You're reaching here.
- more OS sales
And when you run out of things that almost sound reasonable, you just start making **** up.
- an opportunity to market these plug-ins just as Apple has done with Dashboard widgets
And now it's game over for you, as you just demonstrated that Apple does make third-party development opportunities WHERE IT MAKES SENSE.

Seriously, if you really think that making it so that PithHelmet didn't have to use undocumented behavior would sell more Macs, you're just being silly.

Apple should not have to expend time and effort just because you don't like the functionality that Mail and Safari offer.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 01:37 PM

I see your points, and you have changed my thinking a little.

However, I still see some viability in aspects of my own thinking. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

My little list in my last post was just a brainstorm I came up with off the top of my head, I didn't intend it to be picked apart or fixated on, just wanted to offer some contrasting perspective. I hope that you see a little viability in some of my ideas too.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 02:01 PM

I hope that you see a little viability in some of my ideas too.
In a perfect world where Apple has unlimited (or near unlimited) engineering resources, in some circumstances, a plugin architecture would be handy.

But we don't live in that world; in this world, public plugin APIs for Mail and Safari are not worth the cost.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 02:12 PM

Incidentally, WebKit is open-source. If you want to give Safari a plugin interface, knock yourself out!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Incidentally, WebKit is open-source. If you want to give Safari a plugin interface, knock yourself out!

Yeah, I know that Webkit is open-source, and where to get the source too. I'm happy with Firefox, but I probably would have stayed on Safari if some of the same plug-ins were available for it (and it didn't seem to slow down over time until I restart the app)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 01:57 PM

We've been through this. People are writing hacks regardless.
Right. And Apple doesn't have to support them.

If Apple adds an API for something, they have to support it. That's the difference. Apple doesn't want to support all this injected code.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I know that Webkit is open-source, and where to get the source too. I'm happy with Firefox, but I probably would have stayed on Safari if some of the same plug-ins were available for it (and it didn't seem to slow down over time until I restart the app)
So then your problem is not that Apple doesn't have a public API for Safari, but that it's not Firefox.
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Right. And Apple doesn't have to support them.

If Apple adds an API for something, they have to support it. That's the difference. Apple doesn't want to support all this injected code.

Okay, I see your point there. They need to support them in so far as to provide the hooks the developers need, and document their usage.

However, Apple has open sourced the entire damn kernel, Bonjour, iCal Server, Darwin Streaming Server, Webkit, Webojects, and provides developer documentation for Quicktime, Cocoa, etc. It's not as if they don't work with developers external to Apple on projects. A plug-in archetecture would be a relative piece of cake compared to these others projects, no?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:08 PM

So then your problem is not that Apple doesn't have a public API for Safari, but that it's not Firefox.

It's not a problem really, I can use Firefox or some other product, and the problem is solved. I was just wondering what the rational is to drive people like me (albeit a minority) to other products.

(And no, you don't have to answer that question if you will just be reiterating the points already made... I get them).

Moose
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 02:10 PM

(And no, you don't have to answer that question if you will just be reiterating the points already made... I get them).
We'd stop using the same answers if you were to stop asking the same question.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:23 PM

However, Apple has open sourced the entire damn kernel, Bonjour, iCal Server, Darwin Streaming Server, Webkit, Webojects, and provides developer documentation for Quicktime, Cocoa, etc. It's not as if they don't work with developers external to Apple on projects. A plug-in archetecture would be a relative piece of cake compared to these others projects, no?
A plug-in architecture adds complexity that Apple itself has to deal with. Accepting tested code from outside parties is much easier than maintaining additional complexity, as I'm sure you've seen.
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:26 PM

We'd stop using the same answers if you were to stop asking the same question.

I just want to be understood.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:28 PM

A plug-in architecture adds complexity that Apple itself has to deal with. Accepting tested code from outside parties is much easier than maintaining additional complexity, as I'm sure you've seen.

So you're saying that Apple would have to be somewhat accountable for these projects in providing the infrastructure the developers need?

Moose
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 02:38 PM

I just want to be understood.
As do I.

The problem is that you continue to make statements like this:
I was just wondering what the rational is to drive people like me (albeit a minority) to other products.
You make it sound like Apple is intentionally expending effort to antagonize a minority of its users. The reality is that Apple just isn't expending its resources on what would necessarily be a not-so-small undertaking to appease a (by your own admission) minority of its users.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 02:40 PM

So you're saying that Apple would have to be somewhat accountable for these projects in providing the infrastructure the developers need?
What we're saying is that if it's a publicly documented API, Apple has to support it through regression testing, documentation, and Developer Technical Support. This is not a low-cost undertaking, so it's not done just because a handful of users might find it useful.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 02:47 PM

As do I.

The problem is that you continue to make statements like this:
You make it sound like Apple is intentionally expending effort to antagonize a minority of its users. The reality is that Apple just isn't expending its resources on what would necessarily be a not-so-small undertaking to appease a (by your own admission) minority of its users.

I understand that, and I understand the reasons why. That is probably the wisdom behind Apple's decision, and I understand that.

I just see it a little differently where the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages for Apple, and was wondering whether my perspective is shared. You don't have to explain Apple's possible stance on this, I really do get it.

And yes, you have made a good case that has caused me to move from having a firm stance to waffling a little.

Forum Links
Forum Rules