Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Port UNblocking in college dorm...

Port UNblocking in college dorm...
trackezoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 03:56 PM

Okay big problem here, but I have absolutely no idea what do so seeing as I know nothing about port blocking (and unblocking...which is what i'm looking for...) or anything of the sort on the mac os.

I'm set up on a wired ethernet networked to what i assume is my entire school...but absolutely nothing works.

no torrents.
no ssX.
no anything peer to peer (althought this is obvious...)

nothing nothing nothing.

i do a lot of long distance music editing and things of the such and most of my colleagues transfer files over ssX, but whenever i opened it up it claims it's connected...but none of the chat rooms show up, nothing ever shows when i search anything at all...it's just awful.

please help!

i assume this has something to do with port blocking, which is why i ask.

but if anybody has any suggestions/help/anything i would appreciate it oh so very much, thank you thank you!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 04:04 PM

When you say that "absolutely nothing works" do you mean no web sites (port 80)? If that is the case, then the problem isn't blocked ports. How did you create this post?!?!

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2006, 04:23 PM

I had this same problem when I was at the University of Toledo, which is in Ohio for those who might care. Anyways it was all due to their firewalls. They block all that stuff to prevent downloading of music and other illegal stuff. I wasn't able get anything to download unless I was using direct connect/dc++ and sharing with other people in the schools network, since some students would create severs for dc++. Depending how big the files are I had to attach things in email. But usually you might be limited by attachments sizes so that may not work. Sometimes I would also transfer files through aim file transfer. Anyways im pretty sure you are out of luck, unless im mistaken, for using those types of p2p sharing programs. Unless, you convince the network admin to open up those ports or services you may need.
Final revision 15 inch PowerBook G4, 1.67Ghz G4, 1.5 Gigs ram

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2006, 09:00 PM

The official stance of this forum is IT IS NOT YOUR NETWORK TO MESS WITH. The school has blocked ports for a reason (like they don't like getting "cease and desist" letters from the RIAA). The network belongs to the school (Baylor?), NOT THE STUDENTS. Trying to get around the blocks is attempting to skirt the security of that network.

Sorry, but that's the deal. If you really need something that you can't get through the established blocks, tell the school's IT folks and see if they will help. I guarantee they will NOT lift a finger to help you with torrents, P2P or anything else like that.

And I won't help you either. Not your network to mess with. Sorry to come down so hard, but so many people think they are entitled to do what they want with other people's networks that this point MUST be emphasized. A nice little lawsuit from the RIAA could conceiveably cause the school to shut down ALL student network access. It could jepoardize years worth of research, millions of dollars worth of grants, and thousands of students and faculty members. There is no such thing as "harmless" messing with a secured network, so anything you do to evade the established security would either completely fail or put the whole network in jepoardy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

netguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 02:40 PM

dont be muckin round with their network could get you in trouble
( Last edited by netguy; Oct 18, 2006 at 03:48 PM. )

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 12:55 AM

Use sites like YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery. or SendSpace | The Best Free File Sharing Service to send files through an intermediary website. Guaranteed to work as long as web surfing is still allowed

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 03:29 PM

Try FolderShare for collaboration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules