Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can't empty trash

can't empty trash
Orion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2001, 09:58 AM

I have a folder with no name in my trash, with a preference file inside (with no name either) and I can't delete them. I get a message saying that the file is in use.

I tried the following: empty trash with alt, restarting with extension off, booting from mac os CD, norton utilities.

Anything else I could try?

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Orion ]

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2001, 12:15 PM

have u tried moving the folder to the desktop?
naming it?
what os are u using??

try restarting w/extensions off.
then empty the trash while holding down "option"...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

reader50
Administrator
Jul 6, 2001, 12:26 PM

Check the disk with Disk First Aid. Trash-related errors usually indicate disk damage.

Orion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2001, 05:52 PM

I think my hardrive is corrupted or something. I also have a file with no name in my extensions folder. When I try to move it I get a error message. I can't put the file in the trash on the desktop, but if i move it on a folder, the folder dissapear! This is crazy.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Orion ]

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 12:01 AM

First thing I'd do is use DiskWarrior to see if that will fix whatever ails your disk. If it does not, maybe it's time to do a clean install of the system and see if that solves your problems. By the way, if booting with extensions off doesn't allow you to dump the file in the Trash, you might try restarting from a bootable CD.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

reader50
Administrator
Jul 7, 2001, 03:45 AM

Sorry yoyo, this is disk damage. And a reinstall will not fix it, unless Orion does a reformat first.

Orion, use Disk First Aid. It's free. If it can't fix the damage, you have two options. Use a serious repair utility like DiskWarrior/TechTool Pro/Norton utilities. Or copy your personal files off the HD, reformat it, reinstall the OS, and copy your files back.

If you choose to reformat and have no backup options, you can upload your files to your iDisk (20 MB capacity). You can even buy more iDisk capacity (up to 400 MB I believe). Just be sure to write down your iDisk name and password. You will need those to access your iDisk again after the reformat/reinstall.

Whatever you do choose to do, repair that hard drive sooner rather than later. The damage is going to get worse if not fixed. Eventually your HD will stop mounting, and then your Mac will have to boot from the CD. Even after booting from CD, you probably would not be able to reach the main HD. Repairs at this stage would require TechTool Pro or Norton Utilities combined with risky reformatting tricks.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2001, 04:16 AM

I realize that if he's having a disk problem, this wouldn't solve that, but don't forget that if you just want to do a no-BS trash empty, hold down the option key while you choose Empty Trash and it'll empty...
Apple user since 1987

Toinou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 11:09 AM

Well
Let me guess : U got a French OS, right ?
This issue you're facing is called 'The Thing'
You or a software installer moved the 'text encoding converter' (conversion encodages textes) extension.
The only way to solve this is to use Disk Warrior or boot on an OS 9 CD, empty the trash and install the newest apple hard disk driver.
This is what I call a ****ed up localisation but this is always the same with apple. Now there's a brand new bug for us frenchies only that's called 'table du syst�me de fichiers incorrecte' and trust me, this one is a nasty one too.

Toinou

Orion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 04:15 PM

Yes I have a french OS I will try to get Disk Warrior. Thanks.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 06:21 AM

Can't it be solved with ResEdit?

Peter

<anonymous>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:56 AM

Or how about Tra****?

<anonymous>
Jul 10, 2001, 02:56 PM

How do like that! Automatic 'bad word' censoring. That's 'Trash It' in the above link, which works. I didn't use a space between 'sh it' before though.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 01:15 PM

[Orion, try this.....

If the following does not work I believe you have directory problems and you will need a utility like Disk Warrior

TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED...

1. Create a new folder on the Desk Top..(You don't have to name it )
2. Drag/Drop the problem file/document upon the created folder..
3. Create a text file/document,"Save As" to the Desk Top, and name thefile/document the same as the problem file
4. Place the file/document in the folder that has the problem file.
5. Mac OS will not allow two files/documents with similar names in the same location.
6. Dialog will ask if you want to replace the older file. Click agree.
7. Delete folder and you are finished.........
�NOTE: You can use the same steps for a troublesome folder also......A folder cannot replace a file, nor can a file replace a folder..!!!!!!

ANOTHER WAY TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED......

1. Launch DropStuff & from the File menu, set preferences to "delete original after stuffing" and select destination "same as" original"........
2. Go to File menu , select "Stuff"........
3. In the save/open dialog that appears, hilite item, click on "Add" and click on "Stuff"
4. New dialog appears, "save" to Desk Top........
5. DropStuff creates a .SIT file on Desk Top and it deletes the original.......
6. Drag the stuffed items to the trash and empty it......
6. You are done.........It has worked for me many, many times......
�Don't forget to reset your Stuffit preferences back to where they were........
bigbiker

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 07:59 AM

Thats a bandaid-on-a-broken-arm cure.

Its disk damage and if you repair it that way, then new data is simply being moved into the corrupted sectors.

When you get this problem, consider yourself lucky that you FOUND it - had you not, it may have manifested itself later, and it can get worse too.

Repair the drive with DiskWarrior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules