Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 533 - how best add audio-in?

Dual 533 - how best add audio-in?
Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2001, 08:03 AM

Gotta have audio in (what a bizarre omission). If I lay out for 533DP, what's a rock-solid way to add audio-in at a reasonable price?

As long as I have to make the investment - is there USB / FW / PCI connection that would add any other functionality at the same time as providing the audio-in?

Thanks in advance - the range of peripherals is daunting and of hard-to-assess quality.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 09:45 AM

I'm struggling with the same issue. I've seen the USB options and am not thrilled.

The iMic from www.griffintechnology.com provides stereo in and out, but I'm not convinced USB is the best technology for an audio source.

I'd prefer a firewire solution that gives me analog in/out, with the possibility of an analog video in/out? Belkin? Griffin? Are you listening?

I believe there is a Belkin USB video in solution. But again and even more so, I don't think USB is the best option for video because of its higher bandwidth requirements.

If anyone has found a solution they would recommend (hopefully affordable), I'm open to suggestions.

iPaul UK
Senior User
Mar 8, 2001, 10:07 AM

This question has been asked before here many times. A quick search of the forums will give you all the info you want on USB and FireWire audio. However, early reports say that quality of the Griffin iMac is poor. But good results can still be achieved with USB audio products. OS 9.1 has virtually cured all USB Audio issues now.

As for FireWire analogue video/audio converters..
http://sabre.forest.net/powerrinc-24/index.cfm

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2001, 10:05 PM

The few reports I've seen on the iMic suggest that it works well but it has been noted that the low-end frequency range is limited. I don't know if it's true - just what I've read. Roland makes a more versatile USB audio device but it costs $200+. Appears to work well within the limitations of USB.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 9, 2001, 10:20 PM

MacAlly makes a USB audio device http://www.macally.com/new/usb/newivoice.html

Belkin's VideoBus is just a relabeled XLR8 InterView, which is purely video in -- it relies on your Mac's audio input for sound.

tooki

halc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 02:52 AM

I'm not sure if you'd consider this reasonable, but you can get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 4xanalog, s/pdif in/out card from Outpost for $160. It will beat the pants of any Soundblaster, Belkin, etc crappy cards and will only come second to cards costing between $350 - $2000.

cheers,
halc

PS Audiophile had problems with drivers earlier, but I hear that they are now fixed (?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules