Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What if jesus was beheaded?

What if jesus was beheaded?
Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 07:51 PM

So I have a question? If jesus died on the guillotine, would the symbol of Christianity be a guillotine? Would they still symbolize drinking his blood? Maybe out of a basket? I have always thought it was strange that they use the instrument of Christ's death as the symbol of their faith (christians), and I understand that it is supposed to represent the sacrifice that he made for all mankind. But it still seems a little weird to me. Why couldn't the symbol be fishes and wine, or the star he was born under? What if (metaphorically) he were gunned down? Would they use a bullet or gun as the symbol of religion?
BTW, the reason for this question sprung up today when I passed a karate studio with the symbol of a cross, and underneath the cross was a symbol of a person doing a karate pose.
WWJK- who would jesus kick?"
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 08:01 PM

When performing communion, Jesus said (in Matthew 26:27-28) "And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many."
So communion itself has nothing to do with the method of execution.
Christians do use a fish as a symbol of Jesus (like the emblems on the back of cars), and the fish was the most popular Christian symbol in the first couple of centuries. The cross didn't become popular until the third century, partly due to Constantine's use of the Chi-Rho symbol (the Labarnum).
The cross represents Christ's victory over sin and death.

Hermit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 08:10 PM

I'm just thinking about how much cooler the ending to the gospels would have been if it had Jesus walking up to his disciples on the third day carrying his head;

"Hey Thomas! Here, catch!"

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 08:11 PM

I understand the scripture of the communion, and I know about the fish symbol. How many churches have you been in that had a giant wooden fish over the pulpit? The fact remains, however, that the cross is the main symbol of christianity...so if it was a guillotine, or a bullet, those be the symbol of christianity. I am really not looking for an answer as much as I am just trying to point out the absurdity of the symbol, and to make people think.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 08:12 PM

The Guillotine wasn't around when Jesus was on earth.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The Guillotine wasn't around when Jesus was on earth.
Thanks for that professor...I know that. This is a rhetorical question. And just so you know, I am aware there were no guns when jesus was on earth either. Let's just clear that up right away.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
Thanks for that professor...I know that. This is a rhetorical question. And just so you know, I am aware there were no guns when jesus was on earth either. Let's just clear that up right away.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
Intercontinental ballistic missiles?

Just wonderin'.

I think subliminally it's about persecution. But maybe that's just me.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 09:48 PM

Can you imagine the pope with a ballistic missile on his funny hat?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 10:44 PM

or hanged...that would be strange too...i can see the pope swinging a noose around

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 11:45 PM

This actually comes from a friend of mine to whom I asked the same question....

"when they used the guillotine regularly, they found out that a head will remain alive for a few minutes after it's been cut off. so--to answer your question--if jesus were beheaded, the symbol of christianity would be a bloody talking head. which would make david byrne a modern contemporary christian songwriter. hmm...

of course, if tom waits were in charge, we would all be worshipping a chocolate jesus. "

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 12:03 AM

I prefer MC 900ft. Jesus.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I prefer MC 900ft. Jesus.
"Suppose I accidentally got my **** together."

Best. Line. Ever.

Christians with nooses around their necks? I spot a flaw with that idea...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 12:37 AM

mmmm chocolate jesus...

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 12:43 AM

I'm surprised the regulars haven't popped in here yet.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 01:45 AM

Charlotte Corday from wiki

Four days after Marat was killed, on July 17, 1793, Corday was executed under the guillotine. Immediately upon decapitation, one of the executioner's assistants — a man hired for the day named Legros — lifted her head from the basket and slapped it on the cheek. Witnesses report an expression of "unequivocal indignation" on her face when her cheek was slapped. This slap was considered an unacceptable breach of guillotine etiquette, and Legros was imprisoned for 3 months because of his outburst[1].
i can see it now, christians slapping each other as a sign of devotion

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
When performing communion, Jesus said (in Matthew 26:27-28) "And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many."
A bit off-topic, but according to this about.com page, an inscription in the Vatican reads: "He who will not eat of my body, nor drink of my blood so that he may be one with me and I with him, shall not be saved." But this inscription is attributed not to Jesus but to Mithra, one of the many heathen dying gods that predated the Christian deity. The Church Fathers noticed the common themes found in heathen cults that closely paralleled Christian belief, and thus they developed the doctrine of "diabolical mimicry" to account for the similarities. And btw, the covenant between God and Israel had nothing to do with remission of sin, let alone permanent vicarious atonement (a concept alien to Judaism).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 07:39 AM

"Make us think" -- think what, you're a dolt?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
At least you have ended all speculations over whether you are a humourless grump or not.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 11:10 AM

"Holy heads" is actually very common in religion and myth.

The head of Bran the Blessed.
The head of Mimir.
Gawain and the Green Knight.
The Aegis.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 01:28 PM

At least you have ended all speculations over whether you are a humourless grump or not.
ummm...yeah, what he said.

To Railhead,
To think about symbolism, personally I like it when someone brings up a point I haven't thought about before. Now, maybe you have thought about the symbolism of the cross, maybe you just don't care, maybe I have offended you. Still is no cause for name calling. So far I have found a couple of interesting references in this thread that have made me think, and a LOT of humor. All in all, worth my time.
So...why don't you go piss on someone elses thread.
( Last edited by Ratspittle; Mar 14, 2007 at 01:54 PM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 01:48 PM

Drinking the blood and eating the flesh of Christ is the cool thing to do. All the kids are doing it these days.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 01:50 PM

What if David Koresh did turn out to be the messiah..would you walk around with a burning farm around your neck??
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I'm surprised the regulars haven't popped in here yet.
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Ah, there we go.

Hillbilly Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
A bit off-topic, but according to this about.com page, an inscription in the Vatican reads: "He who will not eat of my body, nor drink of my blood so that he may be one with me and I with him, shall not be saved." But this inscription is attributed not to Jesus but to Mithra, one of the many heathen dying gods that predated the Christian deity. The Church Fathers noticed the common themes found in heathen cults that closely paralleled Christian belief, and thus they developed the doctrine of "diabolical mimicry" to account for the similarities. And btw, the covenant between God and Israel had nothing to do with remission of sin, let alone permanent vicarious atonement (a concept alien to Judaism).
Big Mac: not sure what you're getting at here, but some people are bothered by the similarities or resonances found in Christianity and other religions.
They seem to feel it somehow disproves Christianity.
But i feel that if the information about God as communicated to us in the Bible is true, it would be very surprising that other competing mythologies didn't have some common elements, like glasses on a shelf rattling when a chord is played on a mighty organ. Check out the story of Balder in Norse mythology...

(of course, that's kinda what your link is saying...)
( Last edited by Hillbilly Geek; Mar 14, 2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: additional thought)

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 04:30 PM

yet another quote from a friend...LOL

Guillotines are hard to make out of felt for sunday school story time visual aids.

I just don't think that would work.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
What if David Koresh did turn out to be the messiah..would you walk around with a burning farm around your neck??
You bastard!!!! You made Canadian Club come out my nose! owwwwww!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 05:11 PM

I thought Tom Cruise was the messiah?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 05:41 PM

I guess it would be.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Geek View Post
Big Mac: not sure what you're getting at here, but some people are bothered by the similarities or resonances found in Christianity and other religions.
But i feel that if the information about God as communicated to us in the Bible is true, it would be very surprising that other competing mythologies didn't have some common elements, like glasses on a shelf rattling when a chord is played on a mighty organ. Check out the story of Balder in Norse mythology...)
What it is saying is that (much to ironic chagrin for young-earthers and their like) is that religion evolves. Myths are shared, mutated, incorporated and assimilated. The Jesus/messiah myth was not unique in the middle-east when it was coined and now adopted as the core tenant of Christianity.

As for later on, well, Christianity is not exactly ONE religion now is it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 09:23 PM

What it is saying is that (much to ironic chagrin for young-earthers and their like) is that religion evolves.
Those comparisons have nothing to do with the debate over the age of the earth. The heathen religions I was referring to are older than Christianity, but only by a couple thousand years at most.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 09:47 PM

I wanna thank little baby Jesus, who's sittin' in his crib watchin the Baby Einstein videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors.

This is a rhetorical question.
Then why do you expect an answer at all?

Hermit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 10:25 PM

In referance to the crucifix, I always thought this was interesting;

Jeremiah 10:4-6
(New Living Translation)
"Their gods are like helpless scarecrows in a cucumber field! They cannot speak,and they need to be carried because they cannot walk.Do not be afraid of such gods,for they can neither harm you nor do you any good.”

Scarecrow = effigy of a guy hanging from cross-timbers with his arms stretched out.

First time I saw this, considerring that this is from a portion of the bible that was written several centuries before the (supposed) birth of Christ, let alone the crucifixion, I was like, "Holy ****! This guy (Jerimiah) really was a prophet"!

Either that or someone must have already been using the cross as a symbol of their faith in Jerimiah's time.
( Last edited by Hermit; Mar 14, 2007 at 10:42 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Those comparisons have nothing to do with the debate over the age of the earth. The heathen religions I was referring to are older than Christianity, but only by a couple thousand years at most.

Uhm, yes. I didn't say that it had anything to do with the debate over the age of the earth. RELIGION evolves.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Either that or someone must have already been using the cross as a symbol of their faith in Jerimiah's time.
Yes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 04:38 PM

From a graphic design point of view, you couldn't get much simpler than a cross. Anyone can draw one.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
From a graphic design point of view, you couldn't get much simpler than a cross. Anyone can draw one.
Mine were always out of proportion.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Geek View Post
But i feel that if the information about God as communicated to us in the Bible is true, it would be very surprising that other competing mythologies didn't have some common elements, like glasses on a shelf rattling when a chord is played on a mighty organ. Check out the story of Balder in Norse mythology...

(of course, that's kinda what your link is saying...)
Indeed. Not only that, when two sides compete with each other, some ideas are stolen. Or Mocked.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 01:13 PM

What it is saying is that (much to ironic chagrin for young-earthers and their like) is that religion evolves. Myths are shared, mutated, incorporated and assimilated. The Jesus/messiah myth was not unique in the middle-east when it was coined and now adopted as the core tenant of Christianity.
Of course it wasn't new to Christianity. God had been promising a "Messiah" for thousands of years before Christianity.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
In referance to the crucifix, I always thought this was interesting;

Jeremiah 10:4-6
(New Living Translation)
"Their gods are like helpless scarecrows in a cucumber field! They cannot speak,and they need to be carried because they cannot walk.Do not be afraid of such gods,for they can neither harm you nor do you any good.”

Scarecrow = effigy of a guy hanging from cross-timbers with his arms stretched out.

First time I saw this, considerring that this is from a portion of the bible that was written several centuries before the (supposed) birth of Christ, let alone the crucifixion, I was like, "Holy ****! This guy (Jerimiah) really was a prophet"!

I think you missed the message.

Hermit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think you missed the message.
Quite possiblly.

Which message would that be?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2007, 02:40 PM

I still think that Jesus must have pooped.

Hermit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I still think that Jesus must have pooped.
Damn Excretionists! (jk).

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 11:58 PM

Of course it wasn't new to Christianity. God had been promising a "Messiah" for thousands of years before Christianity.
He told you this himself did he?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 12:27 AM

why so long? and why 2000 years since jc and still a no show?

Forum Links
Forum Rules