Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where is CUDA in B&W motherboard???

Where is CUDA in B&W motherboard???
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2001, 06:17 AM

my B&W don�t start again... so I wish to know where is located CUDA switch in its motherboard, graphics wellcome, thanks in advance. What is supposed I must to do with the CUDA item??

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 29, 2001, 05:04 PM

Hopefully that's all it "needs". Have you checked the power supply itself? I believe there's a green light which should show through the back where your fan vents are located.

Anyway, make sure your system is un-plugged from power before doing anything. Forgive me if that's stating the obvious.

I wish I had an image to post. What you're looking for is a small silver metallic square with a circular protrusion (this is the "Hardware Reset" button/CUDA switch). There may in-fact be two similar looking buttons the other one (on some models, at least in the G4) is some sort of internal reboot switch.

A good thing to do along with the reset procedure is to first remove the CMOS/"Clock" battery for like 10 minutes and then put it back in. After that what you want to do is press the CUDA ("hardware reset") button and hold it down for like 10 seconds or so.

Then try powering-up again. Hopefully that's all it needs.

Good Luck

Mike

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2001, 06:12 AM

nope... it does not work... any other suggestion?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 30, 2001, 03:34 PM

Every now and them I have to remove my Radeon card, replace it then my start up problems go away.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 06:02 PM

Try restoring the machines original hardware. Take out ram, graphics cards (i guess they're pci in this model?) and pci cards out and start up with a near stock configuration. (with the exception of the hd) See if it works then. Are you sure its a hardware problem? You hit the power button, and nothing happens? Unplug it for a few hours, and see if that does anything. If that doesnt do anything, then the power supply is probably the prime suspect.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 30, 2001, 06:31 PM

Here is a link to a picture of where my B/W CUDA switch is.
http://homepage.mac.com/thenigel/FileSharing1.html

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: littlegreenspud ]

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2001, 06:52 PM

Before you remove everything give this a try. On my friend's Dell (I know) I was installing a CDRW drive and oncve everything was in place I turned on the power, but nothing happened. After 5 phone calls to Dell (they are really stupid) and a new motherboard the 5th tech support person told mer to switch the voltage selector on the back of the computer from voltage to voltage a few times (make sure you reset it to the original) and bam the computer came to life the next time I powered it on. I thought I had fried the board and would have appreciated not having to unseat that huge Pentium III processor. So give it a spin, and tell me if it works!

Good Luck
Nick

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2001, 05:45 PM

Thanks for help me. I solved this way (To all with star up problems):

my problem was.. the power cords!!! the original power cord of my G3 B&W and the power cord of my Apple CRT 17" Blue, they fit softly in the back of my G3, the cords can move a little, and even make sparks!! so, if I am worthy, the G3 starts, but a bit later, he suddenly turn off (no power supply) So I change the power cords and works, well one hang (I remove and replace the proccessor without success to solve the start up problem, maybe a bad adjust??). Check your power cords, check if they (move a little) make sparks, my motherboard had a lot of static power.

Thanks to all, I hope this helps.

PS: if my G3 don�t boot again, I don�t know what to do, happy new year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules