Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HD Driver Problem

HD Driver Problem
yanokwa
May 27, 2000, 03:17 PM

Ok guys, I screwed up now! In my playing around with FWB HardDisk ToolKit 4.0, I updated my drivers on my G4. (500MHZ, OS 9.04, Drive Setup 1.9.2, HDT 4.0). Well, thats all fine and nice, but now, I wanna revert to othe apple drivers, but Drive Setup cant do that. I have tried playing around with the partition map, and I can see the drivers, but I dont wanna screw anything up.

I remember, a few years back this happened, and I screwed up one hard drive, but saved another. I dont know what I did, but it allowed me to restore my old Apple drivers. I think it was with the partition map.

Of course, the HD im working on is the one thats not backed up. I can still see the data, and all that stuff, so im not in a terrible situation. I dont have the means right now to backup up all 27 gig of that hard drive, so im stuck. I have a SCSI drive that i've been testing my theories on and exprimenting with, but so far everything leads to a reformat.

If you guys know how to fix this problem, or have any other ideas, i would appreciate it greatly. BTW, I think the hard drive is a Western Digital 27 Gig (IDE/ATA).

I tried Opt/Tab, and this is what happened: ��
ok, i selected the g4 install cd as a startup disk, the rebooted. after the chime ends, i held Option and Tab till the Finder loaded. I tried to update the drive using drive setup, but no can do. i loaded HDT and it still says that the active driver is the HDT driver. Am I doing anything wrong?

"It said Windows 2000 or higher, so I bought a Mac..."

Axiom
May 30, 2000, 05:00 PM

FWB is a pretty intrusive utility. I had a similar issue a while back. I don't know of any way to restore Apple Disk drivers over FWB's except to reformat in Drive Setup, as you say, and I think that means a low-level format (although I won't swear to it).

Forum Links
Forum Rules