Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I can't believe this get passed QA ... Is this funny or just mean?!

I can't believe this get passed QA ... Is this funny or just mean?!
phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2007, 06:47 AM

Boys & girls, if you are on a network with PCs. Try this:

1. Open a Finder window
2. Switch to Coverflow view
3. Click on "All" under "Shared" on the sidebar
4. Select any workgroup or domain
5. Look at the graphic of the PCs.

Do you think this is funny or just too much?

15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 07:01 AM

strikes me as oddly ironic that Vista doesn't BSOD, but Apples are.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 08:12 AM

Old news.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 08:35 AM

Too much pffft.

its humorous

techtrucker
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 09:32 AM

It's funny, can't blame them for having a little fun. Poor timing though, given the seemingly increasing amount of reports of Leopard installs booting to a blue screen. Rumor has it it was supposed to have been pulled before the final release candidate, but I'm glad it stayed, as the only Mac user in an office of PCs I get to see it a lot now!
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 09:36 AM

It's not a BSOD, it's just a blue screen network error. And people have said it's still seen in recent incarnations of Windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 09:39 AM

its a BSOD

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
BS. Macs don't BSOD without a little help from Unsanity.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 10:00 AM

ok, but Apples are still BSOD'ing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 10:12 AM

I had no idea Mac OS X would display Windows error messages.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 11:17 AM

At first, I thought your first post was a tongue-in-cheek statement...but now I realize you sincerely believe Macs are BSOD'ing. What people mean by the 'BSOD' is just that the Mac never loads up the login window or Finder, desktop picture, menu bar and Dock. And it just so happens the default background color in Mac OS X, before the desktop picture is applied, is blue. It has nothing to do with Window's BSOD nor a Mac OS X kernel panic. People are sitting in front of the blue screen that normally shows up for a fraction of a second when automatic login is on or when the login window is up.

ibnabouna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 12:17 PM

Macs BSODing? I think not.

Unsanity's Application Enhancer and "haxies"--as they are called by the company itself--are the culprits. Users shouldn't really blame Apple when they install these semi-hacks onto their systems and then perform a major upgrade without uninstalling them.

If anyone is to blame, it is Unsanity. The company surely had access to Leopard developer betas. It should have let users know about the incompatibility early on, not in the midnight hours of launch day.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 12:20 PM

The Macs are BSOD'ing in the same way that they are breaking left and right when hit with a baseball bat.

OUTRAGE!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
At first, I thought your first post was a tongue-in-cheek statement...but now I realize you sincerely believe Macs are BSOD'ing. What people mean by the 'BSOD' is just that the Mac never loads up the login window or Finder, desktop picture, menu bar and Dock. And it just so happens the default background color in Mac OS X, before the desktop picture is applied, is blue. It has nothing to do with Window's BSOD nor a Mac OS X kernel panic. People are sitting in front of the blue screen that normally shows up for a fraction of a second when automatic login is on or when the login window is up.
Yes. I know what a BSOD is, thanks.

So, the leopard issues aren't showing a Blue Screen and doing nothing else, you could say its killed OS X?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 03:45 PM

No, it's just resting

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 03:49 PM

BSOR?

I think it's funny. I'm sure it drives the "I'm nobody's fanboy" types berserk.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 03:52 PM

I believe that icon has been in MacOS X for a while now. I remember it coming up in threads before.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ibnabouna View Post
Unsanity's Application Enhancer and "haxies"--as they are called by the company itself--are the culprits. Users shouldn't really blame Apple when they install these semi-hacks onto their systems.
The problem is that some developers of 3rd apps use Unsanity APE to make their cobbled together garbage work, thus these haxies do get installed without the user's knowledge.

So either way, whether Apple locks down (iPhone) or doesn't (OSX), people will whine either way.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 04:45 PM

I think it's pretty funny, regardless.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
The problem is that some developers of 3rd apps use Unsanity APE to make their cobbled together garbage work
I'm sure you use only Official Apple Apps for your Very Important Job.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I believe that icon has been in MacOS X for a while now. I remember it coming up in threads before.
Someone brought it up from a Dev build and no one believed them.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 05:00 PM

I think the icon is brilliant ever when I first saw it in the betas. I never expected that Apple would actually have the balls to ship it with the retail version of Mac OS X Leopard.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 05:05 PM

The problem is that some developers of 3rd apps use Unsanity APE to make their cobbled together garbage work, thus these haxies do get installed without the user's knowledge.
What applications?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 05:23 PM

I thought it was funny and had a chuckle.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 05:27 PM

So either way, whether Apple locks down (iPhone) or doesn't (OSX), people will whine either way.
That's pretty much one of the infallible laws of the universe. People will complain no matter what.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
What applications?
According to Gruber:

"That’s fine advice for any user who has knowingly installed APE, but the biggest problem seems to be that many of these blue screen sufferers had no idea APE was installed on their systems.

How could that be? The most common route is Logitech Control Center, the mouse “driver” software from Logitech. “Driver” in quotes because it’s utterly absurd and completely irresponsible for Logitech to base their mouse software on a completely and utterly unsupported-by-Apple system software modification. (If any readers are aware of other software that installs APE behind the scenes, please let me know.)

Logitech Control Center currently installs APE 2.0.3, but previous versions of their installer used older versions of APE, which versions render Leopard unbootable. This is particularly pernicious given that most people installing Logitech’s software have never even heard of APE or Unsanity, let alone realize that Logitech is installing it on their system."
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'm sure you use only Official Apple Apps for your Very Important Job.
No, I do use 3rd party programs, but I stay way far away from an "app" that modifies the memory space of frameworks and other system components to give me some fluff feature I don't really need.

I was lured into some of the allure of the haxies during my early days with OS X. After wasting an Apple engineers time with a crash due to a haxie, I swore them off. The situation exposed me to what was going on behind the scenes, and it's not something I liked happening to a machine I was trying to use.

About BSODs on Vista, they still exist. However, the awareness of them has gone down a lot since XP. Windows XP ships defaulted to restarting right after a blue screen, and Vista continues this. With more and more people moving to LCD monitors, the blue screen typically never gets seen, as the crash changes resolutions, then the bios changes resolution again. Most LCDs take several moments to switch and adapt to a new resolution, so by the time it can display the blue screen, the PC has already restarted.
<This space under renovation>

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Someone brought it up from a Dev build and no one believed them.
T'was I from a discussion about the WWDC build.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 07:43 PM

I think there's just a liiiiitle difference between allowing third-party apps to exist and allowing them to exploit security holes and take over every app on the system.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 08:21 PM

Are our beloved computers Apples or Macs? I think people love to say "BSOD" because it sounds like Macs and OS X are no better than Windows XP or Vista. I'd say Unsanity's A.P.E. and associated "haxies" are part of the reason Apple tries to lock things down.

Put your pitchforks and torches down and disperse.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Are our beloved computers Apples or Macs? I think people love to say "BSOD" because it sounds like Macs and OS X are no better than Windows XP or Vista. I'd say Unsanity's A.P.E. and associated "haxies" are part of the reason Apple tries to lock things down.

Put your pitchforks and torches down and disperse.
They're Macs and the Unsanity haxies would exist if Apple (read: Steve) wasn't so damn stupid regarding user interface.

He may make the best business decisions and have the vision thing down to a t, but he's no expert on what is best for users.

What is best for users? Choice.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules