Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro tower stand

mac pro tower stand
swordfish86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 03:47 PM

hey all, ive just ordered a mac pro dual 2.66 2gb and 20"ACD

Basically im having my mac pro tower on the floor, but as i have carpet rather than wood floor, i dont really wanna have my nice new mac on the floor, on my awful dusty carpet

in the pictures thread and in other setup threads i have seen people with little sort of stands that sit on the floor (at floor lever) some with wheels or spikes ect.. i would really like something like this but ive been looking and havent even come close to finding anything remotely simelar!

i dont really know wot you would call it anyway, anyway i would apreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction of one of these contraptions, prefrebly something sexy, and asthetically pleasing, to go with the beautiful machine!!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 04:46 PM

If you do a search for Power Mac G5 Tower products, you'll find what you're looking for, since the Mac Pro case is the exact same case as the Power Mac G5.

Here's one, the G5 skate
POWER SUPPORT | Products | for PowerMac | G5 Skate

Then there's the G5 roof
Dr. Bott KG - Power Support G5 Roof + Skateboard
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Chinasaur
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 12:11 PM

Or you could vacuum your carpet??
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 01:04 PM

No, he can't, because since the motherboard is linked through metal screws directly to the metal case of the mac pro, a static charge could be sent right through the carpet and short the motherboard. It happened to me, and also damaged the power supply.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
That looks really kewl & slick, but it does not seem to raise the mac very far off of the carpet, which is what I believe the OP was looking for.

Plus, for WAY less than what they want for that thing, as slick & kewl as it may be, you could build your own stand with common materials (and a little time) from any home center/hardware store.....ie: lexan/plexiglass & rollers

and BTW, you can vacuum carpet till the cows come home, and it will STILL be dusty, and static-laden, a few hours later, unless of course, you live in an optical disk factory/sealed clean room..........
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 01:43 PM

Thats what I did, I took a peice of wood and some cool bricks, but spray painted the wood silver, so it looked cooler than before!

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 02:19 PM

Are there other good options for this now in 2008? I'd like a bit more air flow than the skate would allow.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

TravisReynolds
Mar 3, 2008, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPc = Pwnage View Post
No, he can't, because since the motherboard is linked through metal screws directly to the metal case of the mac pro, a static charge could be sent right through the carpet and short the motherboard. It happened to me, and also damaged the power supply.
O dang, so do you really need a stand?
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
O dang, so do you really need a stand?
I suppose that's possible, but electricity takes the shortest path to ground, and I'm not sure that the computer would be it. Even if it were, the case should take it to the power supply and ground without getting the motherboard. This is basically why you're safe in a car struck by lightning.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

GHoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 11:26 PM

If anyone is still interested this is what we have been using at my office for quite some time now. Might not be as "pretty" as the G5 Skate but offers the advantages of swiveling wheels - not just forward and backward motion, adjustable width, and some additional height off the floor.

Also very good quality build and reasonably priced.

Computer Stand, Computer Cart & Dolly, Computer Caddy & Holder, CPU Stand.

- Geoff

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by GHoward View Post
If anyone is still interested this is what we have been using at my office for quite some time now. Might not be as "pretty" as the G5 Skate but offers the advantages of swiveling wheels - not just forward and backward motion, adjustable width, and some additional height off the floor.

Also very good quality build and reasonably priced.

Computer Stand, Computer Cart & Dolly, Computer Caddy & Holder, CPU Stand.

- Geoff
Good one. Here's one we are using on several Mac Pros:
CPU Holder, Adjustable Angle, Silver at Ziotek.com

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 10:36 PM

MPs have a built-in 1+ inch stand above the floor. IMO messing with that elegant design is unnecessary, but if constantly moving it for cleaning was imperative I would take 10"x2"x0.25" aluminum bar stock and mount it crosswise at each end under the existing MP feet, then install heavy-duty casters or wheels on the protruding ends of the bar stock.

IMO the amount of static from typical cleaning is not an issue for a MP plugged to a properly grounded outlet, since the entire case becomes a direct path to ground (a reason that computers should be plugged in at all times except during heavy electrical storms). However, note that improper grounding is a worldwide problem, including in the US; and without grounding even small amounts of static can do damage. The solution, however, is proper grounding, not tower dollies.

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I'd like a bit more air flow than the skate would allow.
Why? The base of a MP is already more than an inch above the ground, and even with 3 drives, 2 graphics cards, 8 GB RAM and fairly hot fan output the base under my 2006 Mac Pro remains cool to the touch. I do not see adding airflow across the base of a MP as relevant in any way.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 25, 2008 at 10:55 PM. )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 11:16 PM

Fair enough. The skate seems to remove some of the stock airflow from the bottom, which is what I was referring to. The $25 cart I have allows me to wheel it in and out to get behind it pretty easily. I don't have a stand on my 2006 series (actually from April 2007), but my 2008 is kind of hard to get into from where I need to store it, so it's helpful.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 02:01 PM

i can't remember the product's name but i did find a product that let you mount the computer from the underside of your desk so that the computer is hanging with room on the bottom.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2008, 04:32 PM

Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules