Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Back To School Guide

Back To School Guide
Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 11:39 PM

I am aware this probably has a prior thread somewhere and I might have read some of them, but this is the end of one school year and it is time to get ready for the next. Many incoming College Freshmen, like me, have no idea what is our best bet for back to school computers and now is the best time to buy. Could some of you more experienced college students or even computer pros give us a back to school guide for Computers? What do we need, what is the best configuration for students (including least expensive option as well as just plain best option), what accessories to make college life easier? Could you please give some insight and help out those who are entering the next stage of education?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 11:39 PM

Welcome.
Unfortunately, the answer to your question depends entirely on what you need your computer for.

Beweglich  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2008, 12:03 AM

Actually I am just asking for a generic student. I personally don't have a required config or I wouldn't have asked, they would tell me what to get. But what is the best stuff for a student? Taking their laptop to class, outside to study, to the coffee shop, in a dorm room?

ibook_steve
Jun 10, 2008, 04:05 AM

If I was a college student (oh how I sometimes miss those days! I remember getting my first Mac, an original LC with 12" color monitor and an original Stylewriter printer, the second day I was on campus) on a limited budget and not requiring heavy duty computation, I'd get a MacBook. Even as an engineer, a MacBook would probably have been enough for me (though I would have envied the people with MBPs). If you're a gamer without a gaming console, an MBP would fit the bill. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you can afford.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 04:20 AM

I’m a second-year engineering student, and my MacBook is perfect for what I do. If you’re not a gamer or using Apple’s Pro apps, then a MacBook with maxed RAM is perfect for most students.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2008, 07:20 AM

The MacBook is the most portable Mac there is, and current models are quite powerful. That's the way I'd go as a freshman, guaranteed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:01 PM

There is no best Mac for the generic college student, or even a major-specific best Mac; any of the six Mac product lines could be the best option for a student.

For an engineering student, they can either buy the student version of engineering apps and run them on their laptop (I'd recommend a MacBook Pro), or use the powerful workstations in the design labs (I'd recommend a MacBook Air).

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 10, 2008, 03:20 PM

It is true that it depends on what you will be using your computer for. But as a general college student I think a Macbook should get the job done and then some. I am a student myself and it does more than enough for me. I run Photoshop, Dreamweaver and other applications and have no problems. Good luck in school

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 04:45 PM

I'd also recommend a MacBook for students. It's a complete package, not too expensive, and right now they come with a free iPod nano or iPod touch. I'd recommend the iPod touch. It's essentially a PDA now, and with all the new apps coming out for it, could be an indispensable study gadget.

If there are any law or engineering students that require Windows specific applications (like testing software and AutoDesk), the MacBook can also be set up to run Windows.

I'd also throw in the other Apple products for students with specific needs. iMac, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro. If you're doing 3D work, highend publishing, video, & audio, then the student might needs something beefier than a MacBook.

However, in general, the MacBook would be great.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2008, 08:44 AM

This last year (my junior year) I bought a refurbished macbook c2d after having used a 15 inch compaq for 3 years. HOLY COW.
It's hard to beat the portability of a macbook. If you're a stickler for performance, grab 4gb of ram from newegg for ~$75.
A macbook easily fulfills my needs as a computational chemist (my computer does lots of complicated calculations) and as a computer scientist (xcode is amazing).
Yes, there will be some students with MacBook Pros. But unless you need the video card for gaming or need to use the pro applications for more creative majors, a macbook pro is somewhat of waste of money. Spend some of the price difference on an external monitor. I mirror my macbook to a 19inch in my dorm and I have plenty of real estate room.
If I knew your major I could speak to you more specifically, sorry.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 15, 2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'd recommend the iPod touch. It's essentially a PDA now, and with all the new apps coming out for it, could be an indispensable study gadget.
I too recommend the iPod Touch. Most of the customers that come in for the "Back to school special" already have iPods. I think the iPod Touch is great if you're ever in a hotspot and want to check your school email or anything like that it's just nice to have.

However if you're going to use it only for music and not take advantage of it's capabilities then I'd go with a different iPod. You tend to get more capacity for your money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules