Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Colour calibration hardware: X-rite eye-one D2? Spyder?

Colour calibration hardware: X-rite eye-one D2? Spyder?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 02:33 PM

This is my hardware:

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EOS 30D
Canon i960 photo printer
Epson V500 scanner (just purchased today)
27" iMac Core i7
24" Dell 2407WFP monitor

Using the built-in Mac software, I actually haven't attempted to fully calibrate the iMac yet, but with my previous iMacs were passable with the built-in software. Not great calibration, but usable in a pinch for a non-pro. The even bigger concern though is that I have never been able to the get the Dell anywhere close to my previous iMacs. I'm wondering if the calibration hardware will work better in this context, both to more accurately calibrate my iMac and to better my match my Dell monitor to the iMac.

I'm a hobbyist, and have no desire to sell my images. I went to the local photo shop and they suggested an X-rite eye-one LT over the D2 because they said someone like me may not need the advanced features. However, I have no real idea how limited the LT is for real-life usage. I'm prepared to spend enough to get the D2, but only if it really will offer an improvement in real-life usage for a n00b. I know nothing about the Spyder hardware, because the rep pushed me away from that stuff, even though they do sell it.

Recommendations?

I would have posted in one of the previous colour calibration threads, but the appropriate ones are all old.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 03:40 PM

The only one I ever used was a Spyder, and it seemed easy to me. You open up their calibration file. Print it on your printer. Measure the print with the doohickey. Stick the doohickey on the monitor, then it makes a profile. I can't image any of the others being much different.

Unless you were wondering if of the three brands which one is more accurate than the other; in which case I have no idea.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 03:55 PM

Thanks.

The rep said she used both Spyder and eye-one, and found the eye-one software better. But I didn't really get any specifics.

For your Spyder, did you used any of the advanced calibration adjustments (assuming there are some with your software)?

P.S. I want to spend less than US$250, but less than US$200 would be preferred.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
For your Spyder, did you used any of the advanced calibration adjustments (assuming there are some with your software)?
I never used any advanced adjustments. It was literally like 4 steps to calibrate. We calibrated a whole computer lab with it. Worked pretty well and it's easy to use. I don't think you'd have much trouble regardless of which one you use.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

reader50
Administrator
Dec 18, 2009, 05:46 PM

I have the spyder2 express. It's $60-70, and has no advanced adjustments in the included software. The software appears to be cut down from the more advanced versions.

I didn't need the extra adjustments, because my main concern is to make multiple monitors appear the same. Even if they are off a little, at least they'll be off the same way and windows will not change color when dragged to another monitor. That had bugged me for a long time.

Note - on a Mac, you can adjust multiple monitors with this unit (not so on windows). It will calibrate the menubar monitor. After it's done, rename the new color profile. Then move the menubar to the next monitor and repeat.

OreoCookie
Dec 20, 2009, 08:28 AM

I have a Spyder 2 Express and I'm very happy.
Just one addition to reader's suggestion: I also recommend you open the new and renamed ColorSync profile in ColorSync Utility and give it a suitable name there as well. Because if you load it in the Sys Prefs, it doesn't show the file name but loads the name of the profile from the corresponding entry.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2009, 01:55 PM

So, there is no Spyder 2 Express here, but there is a Spyder 3 Express for CAD$100. It's US$90 at BHphoto, I may as well get it locally. The non-adjustable eye-one LT is considerably more expensive, both locally and from BHphoto. The only problem is that Spyder 3 Express isn't actually in stock anywhere locally - just special order.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2009, 09:37 PM

I use Eye One Display Two.

But there's a problem. The Match software doesn't work under Snow Leopard, and X-Rite is very lazy about it.

A fact: Eye One was developed and built by Gretag-Macbeth. X-Rite bought the company, and, as it often happens, just pulls in revenues, but does not invest.

There are many complaints on the X-Rite website about Eye One being unable to create a working profile under Snow Leopard.

I can support that. I am using a color profile still established under Tiger.

Do not buy an Eye One Display Two if you are running Snow Leopard. It doesn't work.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2009, 11:11 AM

Spyder 3 Express it is then. I read a post on the Pro version and that one at least is reported to be Snow Leopard compatible.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Spyder 3 Express it is then. I read a post on the Pro version and that one at least is reported to be Snow Leopard compatible.

I can only recommend: do your research. Google complaints about the calibration tools under Snow Leopard.

For some reason, the move to Snow Leopard poses challenges to color management, e.g. see the broken color management in Firefox 3.5.5 under 10.6 (fixed in 3.6 beta 4 and 5).

ChrisF
Senior User
Dec 25, 2009, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I use Eye One Display Two.

But there's a problem. The Match software doesn't work under Snow Leopard, and X-Rite is very lazy about it.
(SNIP)

Do not buy an Eye One Display Two if you are running Snow Leopard. It doesn't work.
Eye-One Match 3.6.3 has been released with Snow Leopard support. I'm away for the holiday so I can't test my Eye-One Display 2 with the software. Have you used 3.6.3?

mkerr64
Senior User
Dec 26, 2009, 03:00 PM

same here i use the spyder 2
R.I.P Steve Jobs

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You open up their calibration file. Print it on your printer.
This method describes building a printer profile. It seemed to me the OP was looking to calibrate his monitor(s). Monitor calibration will not require any printing.

The Spyder 3 Pro seems like the sweet spot right now. Well within the budget described and all the features necessary for quality monitor calibration. The more expensive Elite version will offer more "features" but not make any better of a profile.
The Spyder 3 hardware is about the best in this category available right now. It will work fine with the wide gamut monitors.
The only problem I have with Spyder is a bug that has been in their software since PhotoCal (1993?). They don't call it a bug, however. You can't save a profile to the global Library from a non-admin user. It won't ask you to authenticate, but just fails. No biggie, really. Just a gripe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules