Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning the LCD

Cleaning the LCD
bhaggs
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 11:41 AM

Being a first time powerbook owner I dont have a clue as to what is the best way to clean the lcd.

Any tips on the best way and what products to use to clean the LCD?

I already got a few smudges and whatnot that I need to clean off.

Thanks,
Bryan Haggs
Keep it real, keep it happy, keep it hardcore!

schmoe
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 11:46 AM

Don't use anything with ammonia or alcohol, like typical CRT cleaners! They can ruin the screen.

Water is always a safe bet, but apparently Apple recommends Klear Screen, available here: http://www.iklear.com/. I got the power kit, and it has tons of the solution and microfiber cloths.

Originally posted by bhaggs:
<STRONG>Being a first time powerbook owner I dont have a clue as to what is the best way to clean the lcd.

Thanks,
Bryan Haggs</STRONG>

bhaggs  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 12:05 PM

I found these in our supply room at work.

http://www.zeemedical.com/410.pdf

Good or Bad idea?

schmoe
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 12:30 PM

Noooooooooooo! According to your data sheet those are 32% alcohol! Let me post some links that I found helpful.
http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...alogId=1936377

Dunno if that will work, and you have to have an Apple ID to sign in, how lame. If it doesn't work, search the Knowledge Base for "klear screen". The relevant information:

You may also use a mild glass cleaner that contains no alcohol or ammonia. Most office supply stores sell cleaning kits specifically designed for this purpose.

While there are many commercial products available that will work without damaging the plastics, Apple has tested a product called Klear Screen made by Meridrew Enterprises (http://www.klearscreen.com) and found it does not cause any harm to the plastics. This product may not be available worldwide.
And: http://www.iklear.com/faq.html

Q Why can't I use a "glass cleaner" on my laptop's LCD display screen?

A Don't make a $2,000 mistake cleaning your laptop screen with a $2 glass cleaner & a paper towel! LCD display screens are almost universally made of plastic. Plastics & computer manufacturers consistently do not recommend alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners. Repeated applications of alcohol on plastic will turn your screen surface "yellow", make it brittle and cause "stress cracking" (hairline scratches) on your screen surface.

Q I've been buying a "brand name" computer screen cleaner at one of the local computer/office supply superstores. Do you think this product would be safe for laptops?

A Probably not! One of the best known brands has recently relabeled their alcohol-based, pouch/wipes "glass" screen cleaner for "Laptops" use. Most commercially available computer screen cleaners are formulated to clean glass - not plastic and contain either alcohol or ammonia. Look for: Avoid Prolonged Skin Contact, Use in Well Ventilated Areas & Flammability warnings as your tip-off to the use of alcohol-based cleaners.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 01:17 PM

I use the Kleer Screen cloths to clean my LCD with water. Just get one end damp (not soaking wet, just damp), wipe in small circles, then use the other dry end to do the same to dry it off.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the solution. I cleaned my display yesterday and got it perfectly clean using just water.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 01:01 AM

We use and sell Klear Screen frequently, and have never experienced any problems with it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 8, 2001, 10:19 AM

I use a cloth towel and water + a little elbow grease and it cleans the screen perfectly every time.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

a-poria
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 01:56 PM

I've found that a photo lens cloth works nicely. Not only is it dust free but you know it won't scratch!

bhaggs  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 08:33 PM

Radio Shack sells a product called "Antistatic Screen Cleaner Gel" and specifically states that it can be used to clean LCDs.

The contents are:
Isopropanol 67-63-0, Oxetal, Carbopol.

Good or bad for an LCD?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2001, 08:37 PM

I take whatever textile, wet it with a bit of water, and rub.

Just make sure there aren't any artifacts on the screen or cloth before you clean it. It might create streaks on the screen from the friction.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2001, 08:55 PM

go to staples, or compusa. a computer store.
buy something MADE for lcd screens (i have a rag made by 3m...even has a picture of a pismo on the packaging!)

that & a little water...

mess up your screen & you will not be very happy...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 10:39 PM

BHaggs

Bad idea! Isopropyl is a type of alcohol! Do not use it!

Nick

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by bhaggs:
<STRONG>Being a first time powerbook owner I dont have a clue as to what is the best way to clean the lcd.

Thanks,
Bryan Haggs</STRONG>
Warm water and a 100% cotton cloth. Cheap and easy and it works just fine.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

tinrib
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 06:52 AM

Water isn't enough sometimes... it doesn't cut through grease or keyboard marks.

Can you get klearscreen in Australia?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2001, 07:33 AM

There's another solution that's almost free. I have yet to use it on a plastic LCD screen, although I do use it on the plastic film that covers my 50" rear-projection TV.

Mix a little bit of vinegar and water (about 1:15 should work) and use a paper coffee filter to soak it up.

The coffee filter is what works best for me, because it's tough enough to get smudges off, and soft enough to not scratch it. Just make sure you don't soak the screen in the solution, the acid in the vinegar is strong enough that one light squirt on the screen should be enough to clean the whole thing. And besides, you probably don't want it to smell like a pickle.

edit: I don't use it on a plastic LCD screen yet because I don't own one.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: iNub ]

stefbystef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2001, 02:54 PM

Well, I work in a pharmacy (ehem....as a cleaner), and I use Pure Distilled Water (the one your mom is using for the iron), and just one drop of neutral soap, and a soft cloth (cotton).

It works for the titanium case as well.

Stefanos
(an apple a day, chases the doctor away) :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules