Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple pushes Adobe Flash update to users due to security flaws

Apple pushes Adobe Flash update to users due to security flaws
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 21, 2014, 12:53 AM

Apple is trying a different tack in the struggle to keep Macs secure by encouraging users to either disable the Flash browser plug-in outright, or to keep up-to-date with the latest version, which routinely fixes serious security issues found in the multi-platform media player. The latest maneuver by the iPhone maker, which debuted today, is a direct pop-up prompt to update to the latest version when users visit a page that requires Flash Player. The dialogue box takes users directly to Adobe's own page for updating Flash.

Apple has been routinely blocking Flash Player when the current version becomes insecure, as frequently happens. The plug-in is automatically blocked if it hasn't been used in the past 30 days, and is also blocked on older OS X systems and machines that can't update to a secure version (users can manually run the latest version available for their older equipment in "unsafe mode" by manually reactivating it).

Because the plug-in is a multi-platform application and interacts with various system resources, it requires admin-level privileges that work as universally as possible -- leaving open a door for miscreants to write exploits or engineer malicious websites and downloads. Likewise, Oracle's Java has suffered from numerous security flaws for much the same reason.

The latest update has just been issued today, November 20, and thus users who had Flash working normally yesterday may discover that their plug-in is now out-of-date, with a warning that will appear as either "blocked plug-in" or "Flash Security Alert" or "Flash out-of-date" on websites using Flash. Click on the warning will bring up the dialogue box, which will offer the choice of canceling the attempt to use Flash by clicking "OK," or transport the user to the Adobe download page for the latest version.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2014, 02:07 AM

Let me predict the future: there will be one more Flash update near the future, and then there's another one right after it. That's all my crystal ball can see. Sorry, guys.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Nov 21, 2014, 01:47 PM

Flash is a joke. Whenever I have to absolutely use it, I'll open up Chrome for that site. Otherwise, it stays off of my machine.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Nov 21, 2014, 04:36 PM

"The latest maneuver by the iPhone maker,.." is a pretty misleading reference, since it is still not supported on iThingees (to the best of my recollection anyhow...)

in this article's context, "The latest maneuver by the Macintosh maker,.." would be less confusing.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 22, 2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Flying Meat View Post
"The latest maneuver by the iPhone maker,.." is a pretty misleading reference, since it is still not supported on iThingees (to the best of my recollection anyhow...)

in this article's context, "The latest maneuver by the Macintosh maker,.." would be less confusing.
I also found "by the iPhone maker" really strange, the editor should just say "by Apple."

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 24, 2014, 04:35 PM

They aren't "encouraging" you to do anything; they are forcing you to either block or upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules