Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new 14" iBook/PowerBook rumor

new 14" iBook/PowerBook rumor
mobile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 06:57 PM

ok, I'm coming from the iBook threads and this topic seems to be a big deal today. According to the rumor sites and the contractors that actually produce the new iBooks and TiBooks there will be new colors and 14" screens on iBooks later this year.

I'm not one to believe rumors wholeheartedly but I found some interesting points and questions to be answered regarding this one. Ok, first off, it doesn't make sense to dramatically change a newly introduced product and in so changing it's price and target user market which a 14" display would do to the new iBook. However, a slightly smaller PowerBook G4 for 2k - 2.5k might be right up some people's alley. So my questions to you PB guys are as follows:

Do you see a market for a slightly less expensive 14" PB G4 or is the current one just perfect as it is? (I know it's not... but I thought I'd ask)

Could this product be the third portable in Apple's stable (i.e. the fabled "CubeBook")?

What would they call it? PBG4 Lite?

Would any of you be interested in such a product?

ok, enough out of me... I just like a little speculation and this one seems more viable than most. Post away!

madeoftitanium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 09:22 PM

I am unsure. I don't have a laptop now, and I really want a ti. Money is a big factor of course. I'm unimpressed with the ibook. Small screen, ugly white color. I love the ti's look and screen and power. A 14 inch screen sounds better than 12.1 and has potential, but the G3 to me is outdated and outmoded. With talk of a G5 on the horizon, no matter how far down the horizon, G3s are coming to the end of the line. G4 is where the future is at (for now) and I want to stay there. I'd have to think about it, but if you made me choose right now, I'd say this product sounds interesting, but I'd still choose the tibook.

And if this thing comes out in goofy colors, then forget it!

[This message has been edited by madeoftitanium (edited 05-24-2001).]

Nawus
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 09:47 PM

Is this how Apple does market research now??

mobile  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 11:16 PM

lol, I knew it would come off as that but no, I do not work for Apple - although I would in a heartbeat. I'm just uber-interested in their design and marketing (read 'design major').

by the way... what anodized colors would you like to see grace this hypothetical third notebook? j/k

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 11:46 PM

That would be just another Pismo!

Steve

mobile  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 12:33 AM

Exactly how would it be just another Pismo with a G4, CDRW/DVD capabilities, made of titanium/magnesium, 1 in. thick, right under 5lbs, and a screen with a DPI as high as the new iBooks? You must've missed part of my gist 'cuz this isn't a G3 machine I'm talking about.

btw, the new iBook's screen is Fantastic regardless of size - it's desktop area is larger and clearer than that on my new iMac - go check one out!

LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 07:16 AM

If this rumour is true, then Apple sucks! Because I haven't even received my new iBook and they are already coming out with another product which I could have had more choices and options.

For those who haven't purchased any yet, this is welcome news. But for existing customers who already committed to an iBook, this is bad.

What a way to go Apple!

Don Homer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 10:21 AM

After reading the Register regarding this rumor. They suggest it might be for the new iMac with LCD screen. Something to chew on...

-Don Homer

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 25, 2001, 11:24 AM

Alot of gullible people out there seem to have taken this rumor way too serious... it got so bad that Apple actually had to announce the rumor wasn't true... a rare event.

Come on guys... an iBook with a 14" screen only a month after they introduced the new iBook... I don't think so... the iBook will be lucky to get a speedbump by September...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

zippy50
May 25, 2001, 01:09 PM

Over at Powerbookcentral they're reporting that Apple has come out to deny this rumor of another new iBook. Apple, as far as I can remember, has never responded to rumors -- they are either absolutely definitely not coming out with a new one any time soon or they're afraid the talk of a new one will hurt current sales. My gut is that there won't be a new iBook on the horizon any time soon.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2001, 01:55 PM

All I know is that someone, somewhere in Taiwan has had their head removed within the last 24 hours.

LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 02:39 AM

Well I guess Apple had to finally deny such rumours. I hate to receive some product which is less than a month old, then have another product come out.

But if Apple comes out with a product in between the iceBook and the TiBook.....waaah!!! Let me decide first what I want so I can cancel my order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules