Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Travel Restrictions PBG4

Travel Restrictions PBG4
LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 07:12 AM

Is it true that there are travel restrictions when bringing your PowerBook G4 outside of the United States because of some High Power Computer Laws.

That you would have to apply for a travel license for these items when leaving and entering the country?

Someone please shed light on the matter.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 07:37 AM

Sorry, but I can't find any facts on this, but I could swear I heard that the restrictions were lifted. But I didn't think any restrictions that were in place pertained to personal computers travelling with you, only ones for export.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2001, 08:10 AM

Which countries are you concerned about?

You can buy the G4 ti book in most countries worldwide now.

You wont have any trouble in Europe, Japan or Australia, thats for sure.

If its a small country you may have to check with them individually. I cant imagine there would be any issues though.

MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 08:46 AM

Thanks guys for your insights. I was just wondering because I saw this "Export Compliance" link from the Apple site (below their every page) and started to inquire on what they meant since I know I read about their bragging their computers as a Super Computer which the government is restricting for export.

PLUS

Some other news a few months ago about a guy being held up in the airport for a few hours because of his TiBook.

I know this is silly since it's just a personal product, but I was thinking how much of a hassle this would be to be security checked in the airport because of your laptop.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 09:26 AM

The Powerbooks also have auto sensing power supplies... so that all you need for another country is the correct adapter....
dave

Smircle
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by LeonThePro:
Is it true that there are travel restrictions when bringing your PowerBook G4 outside of the United States because of some High Power Computer Laws.
They are selling the Titbooks over here in Germany, so I doubt you'll run into any problems.
However I'd be concerned if I was going to visit North Korea - but they I'd be concerned about other things than export restrictions...

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 10:31 PM

That guy who was detained was at an airport and the security agents thought his G4 TiBook was a bomb...

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 02:27 AM

Imagine the hassle of being detained for a few hours (and missing your flight) because of your TiBook being mistaken for a bomb. Yikes!

Anyway, I guess since TiBooks can be found and purchased almost everywhere (first and second-world countries), there shouldn't be any problems once it's in your hands already - as an End-User. Maybe the license I read about was just for exporters who are dealers and distributors selling to other countries.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2001, 01:39 AM

The countries you cannot bring your Powerbook to are those countries which are in conflict with the USA. Specifically, these countries are divided into four tiers, with different standards for what is restricted from each tier.

tier four includes North Korea and Iraq, Iran and other countries to which we don't export computers like Cuba.

Tier three, which includes China and Russia and a number of other countries, sets limits, as does tier two, but they are different limits.

It's all about processing power and how much computing power the US wants to allow into the hands of non-friendly countries.

If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2001, 01:48 AM

vmarks...i did hear about that tier category by the US. but i never really understood how much processing power for each tier. looks complicated. well, as long as i don't bring it to countries known for rampant terrorist activities...i should be fine travelling with my TiBook. Or will I? haha!

Forum Links
Forum Rules