Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple quietly releases OS X 10.11.4 update

Apple quietly releases OS X 10.11.4 update
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 21, 2016, 03:39 PM

Along with iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2, Apple on Monday also released the public version of OS X 10.11.4, which also focuses mostly on performance improvements, security, and bug squashing but includes some new features, such as encrypted items in the Notes app (a feature it shares with iOS 9.3), expanded Note importing abilities, and Live Photos support in Photos, Messages and AirDrop. Gmail accounts now work with VIP mailboxes, the broken t.co Twitter links are now fixed, and a number of other items are updated and improved.

The update also tackles some other issues reported by users, such as slow RAW file loading in Photos, along with some hardware problems such as glitches in dealing with USB-C cables and USB audio devices. The Notes app can now import from text files (plain and rich) and Evernote or other note-taking services, and sort items by various criteria such as date modified, date created, or alphabetically -- further extending its usefulness. PDFs can now be synced to iCloud in iBooks, making them available across devices.

The update is available now through the Software Update mechanism of the Mac App Store for those running OS X 10.11.3. A "combo" updater for users of earlier versions of 10.11 will be available shortly.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Mar 21, 2016, 04:09 PM

I'll wait to see if this kills Ethernet before installing...

donmontalvo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2016, 11:41 PM

I'm installing it as I type and I can tell you that it

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Mar 22, 2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by donmontalvo View Post
I'm installing it as I type and I can tell you that it
Good one!
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Ham Sandwich
Mar 22, 2016, 08:24 AM

The 10.11.4 update did not fix many of the bugs that I reported in 10.11.3, including the very annoying and sometimes random "switching between application windows does not fully activate that window" bug. See full thread

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2016, 09:23 AM

Can any report if it fixed the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse issues? I fixed mine by turning off Preferences-General-Allow Handoff between this Mac and iCloud devices, but that doesn't work for everyone.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Ham Sandwich
Mar 24, 2016, 03:39 PM

10.11.4 still does not fix the YouTube GPU issue (crash?). Take a video like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYCpQyRp-4

Set it to 1080p. Run it full screen in Safari. Let the video play. At the end, get out of full screen, and then press Command-W. Sometimes, Safari will seem to lock up as the GPU freaks out, and you have to restart your computer before Safari will run correctly.

Nor did Apple fix the infamous Reminders bug where re-ordered reminders sometimes reverts back to its previous order when they are being managed by both a Mac and an iDevice.

Way to drop the ball again on some very annoying bugs, Apple.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Mar 25, 2016 at 05:09 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules