Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple loses leading design team member to GoPro

Apple loses leading design team member to GoPro
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 13, 2016, 07:12 PM

Danny Coster, a long-serving member of Apple's design team who has been with the company almost as long as design chief Sir Jonathan Ive, has departed the company to join GoPro as Vice President of Design. Coster, who has been with Apple since 1993, is widely credited along with Ive and co-founder Steve Jobs as being one of the primary hands shaping the iconic original iMac, and has his name on dozens of design patents belonging to the company. He is the first team member to leave in recent memory, and the first since Richard Howarth was announced as taking over day-to-day design team operations from Ive.

Coster, who is from New Zealand, spoke to students there last month and said that he was longing for more time with friends and family, which may have prompted his job change (which has, according to sources, been in the works since earlier this year). He also mentioned that the pressure and long hours known to be a part of working for Apple could sometimes be "too daunting because the pressure of things can be too large." Presumably, his new job at GoPro, which presently makes only action cameras, will afford him less of the latter and more of the former.

Coster is fourth from the left in this Design Team photo
Coster is fourth from the left in this Design Team photo

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2016, 10:32 PM

Let's hope they replace him with someone who is: 1. Not obsessed with thin. 2. Hates glue. 3. Likes fixable and upgradable. 4. Will give us a practical component desktop computer. It's bizarre that Apple, having gutted the Mac mini, doesn't make a desktop in the most popular desktop format. As a result, users who might have bought a Mac get a PC instead. They want a tool not a pretty toy like the iMac.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2016, 10:46 PM

apple.com/feedback

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2016, 12:45 AM

You might someday get your wish on #2, but the market has spoken pretty clearly on the other three. Let 'em know when you've gotten 10M to sign a petition on the others, though, you never know.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Apr 14, 2016, 03:34 AM

CM, I agree the highest demand is for those types of products, but the style doesn't need to be to the detriment of the pro line. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2016, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreatButcher View Post
CM, I agree the highest demand is for those types of products, but the style doesn't need to be to the detriment of the pro line. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
On laptops, I'd argue that the current pro lineup is the best they've ever had. I'll take reliable over upgradeable any day - and the only two components that have failed on my 2011 MacBook Pro in the last four years have been the aftermarket RAM and the spinning hard drive.

Plus, even for a pro, there is a difference in working on tools that are a pleasure under your fingers. Especially if you lob them around all day, every day. Weight and thickness make a difference.

drbroom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2016, 12:02 PM

Honestly, can you blame him for leaving? The designs coming from Apple lately have been just crap!

Look how they had to go back to the iPhone 5 (Steve's last design) to find a good phone. I hate my iPhone 6 and as soon as my contact is up I will be switching.

db (used to bleed in 6 colors now just crying in 6)

Forum Links
Forum Rules