Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen fix-Case history

Screen fix-Case history
cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2001, 11:07 PM

Can anyone help me out in seeing if I got my scratched PB screen fixed or not....here is the case history...

Title: Pixel anomaly-scratched screen

12/12 15:09 PT Request acknowledged
12/20 13:55 PT Unit Recieved
12/20 15:44 PT Unit in Repair
12/20 15:45 PT Unit in Burn In
12/21 07:37 PT Shipped/Completed

If nothing else what does Burn In mean?

Thanks
Nick

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 12:10 AM

Burn-in is a period of time where they let the system do intensive work to make sure everything is working right. This usually pushes the envelope in terms of taking up system resources and refreshing the LCD. If the system crashes during the burn-in, they'll reassemble it or rework it until it's stable.

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 12:27 AM

So this means I must have gotten a new screen?

Nick

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 02:24 AM

If it was a pixel anomaly, they can do nothing to fix it, as repairing a baked LCD panel is almost impossible.

You likely have a new screen.

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2001, 03:25 AM

Hopefully they replaced it. I will call them tomorrow and ask about it. I understand that the whole LCD has to be replaced and I feel bad for Apple, but the industrial design on this product is slightly lacking. This is why I ordered a screen protector for the future. Anyway thanks for the help.

Nick

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 06:05 AM

How long did you have the notebook for until you developed screen anomalies? Were they there when you got the notebook?

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2001, 02:23 AM

No, they were not on there when the unit shipped to me. I had it for about 3 weeks until something on the keyboard scratched the plastic on the screen and 2+ pixels dead.

I yelled at 2 tech support people today because they determined there was "nothing" wrong with my machine. When I finally talked to an expert (who happened to graduate from my school-Iowa State University) she suggested I take it to a dealer nearby.

So I don't know what to do. I am pretty sure this will be my last Mac, really am getting tired of what is hapening to Apple on the customer service end. There was a day when they would have replaced the screen no problem, also a time when my suggestion of moving to Windows would have made the person on the phone convince me otherwise rather than "so what exactly is the problem you are having, I am not clear on it."

So any suggestions on what I can do? If I could I would like to return my Powerbook. I don't feel like carrying around something this fragile, especially if more "pixel anomalys" are going to show up.

Anyway, sorry for my long reply, but hopefully someone from Apple will hear me.

Nick

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2001, 11:00 AM

Have you posted this in Apple's Discussion forums?
Do so, and keep posting there to bump it to the top where people will see it.

Fax customer relations. Repeatedly. Don't stop until you get a phone call from them saying they'll satisfy you.

Yes, Apple Customer no-service is frustrating. I'm pretty sure that it's because they're bean-counter driven instead of customer-driven, failing to realize that too much of either extreme will cost them customers- but they'll never notice it because their support costs will have gone down (along with the number of customers) - that's a good thing, right? right? guys?

You have to get agressive.

Also, start a case with your Better Business Beaureau (sp) and have them get involved.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules