Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5.0 (2022) + Outlook Express 5.0.3

IE 5.0 (2022) + Outlook Express 5.0.3
LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2001, 04:08 AM

Hi. I seriously need help in these two apps. I recently updated to the newest version. However, now I am having problems linking the two. For example, when I launch Outlook Express ONLY and I click on a hyperlink contained in an e-mail, it is NOT able to launch IE5 on it's own. I have to launch the browser before I can visit the hyperlink. This is not the case before when you click on any hyperlink within an e-mail, it will automatically launch your standard browser, right.

Please provide assistance as to how I can re-link these two programs once more. I tried deleting and rebuilding my desktop already especially in TechTool Pro3.0.5, but it didn't help. The problem still exists.

Also, Internet Explorer 5 is unable to launch on it's own via the "Browse the Internet" application. There is a Mac OS Scripting Error being shown.

If anyone can shed light....greatly appreciate it.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2001, 02:38 PM

Go to your Internet control panel and check your settings on all the tabs......
bigbiker

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2001, 04:20 PM

Hi. Yup, I tried all the tabs and tinkered with changing it back from Explorer to Communicator, then back again. Either after a restart or desktop rebuild to no avail. Even did a complete reinstall just for it.

Thanks for your input tho.

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 05:00 AM

Use the "apple + i" on the alias on your desktop. Use "Select new original" from you harddrive. Press OK after you have selected IE and OE and you should be able to start IE and OE.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 05:18 AM

hi, awesomemac. the "apple + i" will bring up the information so i can select the original icon just in case it was corrupted.

actually, the problem is not the alias but THE original icon of the "Browse the Internet" itself. Be it the alias or the original icon, clicking on either will produce a "Mac OS Error" scripting message.

i'm guessing there is something wrong with a recent Mac OS update with the Internet Explorer program that after you rebuild your desktop...the error will start to occur. This has been experienced by other Mac users during the past couple of days which is currently being discussed also at the Apple Support Forum. But as usual, no Apple Technician is there to shed light....

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 04:34 PM

So, this doesn't work, neither does deleting every MS IE and OE file? Strange! Did you try to delete the Internet Preference, which you can find in the folder "preferences" in the Sytem folder? It did work for me.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 08:32 PM

Hi. Yup, even deleting the Internet Preference. Actually, I tried deleting every file with "internet" and "explorer" in them (he, he) just in case it would be one of them...to no avail. Kinda strange error.

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 06:44 PM

I don't think that you want to delete everything on your harddisk and install it again (?). So there is only one option, delete every piece of this M$ crap and install Netscape 6.2, which works great. A bit slow starting up, but after that, no problems. You said that you tried to switch to Netscape (4.x?) and can you use Netscape 4.x without any problems?

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 08:39 PM

Imagine that....I can use Netscape 4.X.X without any problems. The only reason I don't use it as my main browser is it's slow browsing speed and ugly user interface (but that's my humble opinion. don't want to spark any debate here).

In the meantime, I'm beginning to hate Microsoft.....wait a minute. isn't that the reason why I switched to Mac?! On the other hand, they do own part of Apple. Damn!

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2001, 10:33 PM

I too have recently installed the latest version of outlook express 5.0.3 but I have not experienced any of the problems you describe. I even rebuilt the desktop and tested again. Still haven't experienced the problem you have described. Not sure of what is wrong in your situation. I wonder if something is corrupted?
As a man comes, so he departs.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 03:12 AM

really...hmm...did you also install the latest update for Internet Explorer 5 - the SR-1 patch then rebuild your browser.

anyway, i decided to use Netscape 6.2 and set as my default browser in the Internet Control Panel until I find a fix.

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 05:03 AM

Hi, last week I posted a topic "Which is the best browser for you?" on a Dutch forum. But most of them use Internet Explorer without any problems. According to this web-site 80 % of the Macintosh users is using M$ Internet Explorer and M$ Outlook. And yes, it's true Netscape 4.x is very slow. Taking the browser 1 page back takes forever. IE is so much faster. Unfortually Netscape 6.2 isn't that faster than 4.7.x

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 05:44 AM

yeah, i actually do like using Internet Explorer because of it's speed and user interface looks. and i can't let go of Outlook Express, too. That's also the reason why i can't switch to OS X. The supplied Apple Address Book and Mail is slow and joke.

so, i'm saving up for the Microsoft Office X so I can get a decent Entourage mail/address app....i wish they offered that for free cos i don't need to use Word, Excel that much....i can live with AppleWorks 6.2.....

oh, well. i'm just ranting and too much off topic.

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 05:30 PM

Hi, I'm sorry that I couldn't be much of help here. I hope someone here knows the anwser to your IE/OE problems. And yes, M$ should release a Outlook version for the OS X or a free Entourage. I'm an Appleworks user too. Good luck!

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 07:31 PM

hi, awseomeac. don't worry about it. although i was looking for a fix, it's been nice talking to fellow mac users and learning more information that i asked.

thanks for posting.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2001, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by LeonThePro:
<STRONG>really...hmm...did you also install the latest update for Internet Explorer 5 - the SR-1 patch then rebuild your browser.
</STRONG>
I installed the SR-1 patch well before I installed the outlook update. I didn't rebuild desktop until after I tested outlook express update.
As a man comes, so he departs.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 07:39 AM

Problem solved which was answered in an Apple Forums post. To anyone having the same problem:

Rebuild your desktop FROM MAC OS 10.1.1 under the System Preferences/Classic - "Advanced" tab. All without starting the Classic OS.

Boot up now in Mac OS 9.2.1 and your all set. Try clicking on ANY app that needs your IE5 as your default browser.

FYI.

Cos I don't want others to experience the same problems as we had.....damn you Apple for giving us problems and keeping silent about these when you know it exists!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules