Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 3 way file transfer

3 way file transfer
vander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2000, 01:24 PM

I need to transfer files between my all-in-one G3 at work to my Performa 6300CD at home and then finally to the iMac I plan to buy this summer. I will need to store the files on my Performa for about a month before I get my iMac.
I need to have about 2-4 Gb of storage and I need a medium that will work with all 3 computers.
Any ideas on doing this economically?
I've thought about a crossover cable (I upgraded my Performa with an Ethernet card), but I don't have enough room on the internal HD.
My best plan right now is an external SCSI HD and then getting some sort of adapter for the iMac.
------
Wake now discover that you are the song that the morning brings.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 04:03 PM

for me, an external SCSI and a crossover cable along with my iBook covers all the bases... but that is because i like to have the ext. SCSI for when i go to my relatives and work on their non-USB Macs and some friends have non-USB Macs, and the iBook with a crossover is awfully handy as well... haven't found a situation where i can't transfer the needed files somehow

and you can buy a naked HD cheap and stuff it into an external case, that is what i did

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-24-2000).]

vander  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2000, 09:15 PM

The HD stuffed in a case sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where to get the parts for cheap. If I pick up some stuff from CompUSA am I going to get a good deal or should I look at egghead.com or another online place?
Also, where can I get instructions on putting an internal drive in a case?
Finally, is the SCSI port on my Performa going to have the same pin number as the one on the all-in-one G3?
------
Wake now discover that you are the song that the morning brings.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 24, 2000, 09:37 PM

ok, for deals you should check out Ross's MacDeals, part of MacNN... you can email him and there's macresq.com and others, ebay of course

OWC has a decent external case i think it was about $35 the fan did become noisy after about 6 months and needed replacement, no biggie... you can get an HD to stuff in it for anywhere from, say, $35 bucks for maybe a 2G HD or maybe a bit bigger (i know that is kinda small but gives you an idea)

the SCSI connector should be the same DB-25 on both the AIO and the Performa, someone will correct me if i am wrong

Forum Links
Forum Rules