Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PDF files

PDF files
vatin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2001, 12:32 PM

Hi.

After working for a while with a lot of application I found myself into the next problem. First I was able to generate PDF files from the print menu. Files were opened bye the Preview application and there they can be also saved as PDF.

But after a while, when I try to do this I am always redirecter to acrobat reader 5. Even if I tell the system in the print menu that what I want is to sava as a PDF (in this case the computer reports an error).

How can I change the default PDF file manager so it is the preview application and not adobe acrobat

Thanks.
Jose 'vatin' Restrepo

sadie
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 12:45 PM

Here's how to make sure your files always open in the program you want them to.
  • Go to OS X Feedback
  • Ask them for a proper metadata solution
  • Wait 18 months (try Bali, it's a nice place to waste time in)

Hope that answers your question!

(obsessed? moi?)
All words are lies. Including these ones.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by sadie:
<STRONG>Here's how to make sure your files always open in the program you want them to.
  • Go to OS X Feedback
  • Ask them for a proper metadata solution
  • Wait 18 months (try Bali, it's a nice place to waste time in)

Hope that answers your question!

(obsessed? moi?)</STRONG>
Without derogating the enthusiasm of the sadie and Siracusa metadate crowd, a somewhat faster way of addressing the problem you are having might be to do the following (a guess, since I don't know exactly what the issue is on your machine):

highlight a .pdf in the Finder.
Press command-i to get the Show Info window.
Select "Open with application" in the little menu of the show info window.
Most likely, Adobe Acrobat Reader will appear as the default app.
Click on the icon-button to browse for Preview to set as the default.
After selecting Preview, click on the "Change All" button.

Hopefully, this will work, but no guarantees. It's the first thing I would try though, were I in your predicament.

Actually, now I think this will work. I recently had changed all .pdfs' default app to Acrobat REader, because I like to read in Reader better than Preview (still use preview for all graphics viewing...) I hadn't considered that this would change the default app for previewing prints, though -- but sure enough, it has. Thanks for alerting me to this...

Now I am confident that the above procedure will work for you. I'm going to keep Reader as the default for a while though, since you can still save to .pdf (select "Save a copy" from the file menu).

Incidentally, if all you want to do is print to a .pdf, without necessarily previewing it, you can (depending on your printer, I imagine, but this works for the Epson 740) select Print, then choose the menu selection in the Print dialog for "Output Options" and select Print to PDF. Works directly to create the .pdf, and doesn't invoke Acrobat -- since the .pdf interface is, I believe, a direct function of the Quartz layer, and not dependent on any other app -- the apps are invoked only to view the file.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 07:44 PM

[*]Ask them for a proper metadata solution
Hee hee... and click my signature!!
The server made a boo boo. (403)

vatin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2001, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by brachiator:
<STRONG>

Without derogating the enthusiasm of the sadie and Siracusa metadate crowd, a somewhat faster way of addressing the problem you are having might be to do the following (a guess, since I don't know exactly what the issue is on your machine):

highlight a .pdf in the Finder.
Press command-i to get the Show Info window.
Select "Open with application" in the little menu of the show info window.
Most likely, Adobe Acrobat Reader will appear as the default app.
Click on the icon-button to browse for Preview to set as the default.
After selecting Preview, click on the "Change All" button.

Hopefully, this will work, but no guarantees. It's the first thing I would try though, were I in your predicament.

Actually, now I think this will work. I recently had changed all .pdfs' default app to Acrobat REader, because I like to read in Reader better than Preview (still use preview for all graphics viewing...) I hadn't considered that this would change the default app for previewing prints, though -- but sure enough, it has. Thanks for alerting me to this...

Now I am confident that the above procedure will work for you. I'm going to keep Reader as the default for a while though, since you can still save to .pdf (select "Save a copy" from the file menu).

Incidentally, if all you want to do is print to a .pdf, without necessarily previewing it, you can (depending on your printer, I imagine, but this works for the Epson 740) select Print, then choose the menu selection in the Print dialog for "Output Options" and select Print to PDF. Works directly to create the .pdf, and doesn't invoke Acrobat -- since the .pdf interface is, I believe, a direct function of the Quartz layer, and not dependent on any other app -- the apps are invoked only to view the file.</STRONG>
Well the idea is simple. When in the print dialog box when I choose preview or save as PDF the system always try the Acrobat reader, and since I cant save from there it is a fault.
Jose 'vatin' Restrepo

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by vatin:
<STRONG>

Well the idea is simple. When in the print dialog box when I choose preview or save as PDF the system always try the Acrobat reader, and since I cant save from there it is a fault.</STRONG>
vatin --

did you try to change the "open with" application via the "Get Info" window? And it didn't work?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Forum Links
Forum Rules