Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Major bug in vBulletin software: Email Notification

Major bug in vBulletin software: Email Notification
ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 12:13 PM

When replying to a post, "Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible." does not do what it says it does, it actually adds the thread to the Subscriptions section of the user control panel.

I think this is off by default now, but if anyone is using this feature, the Subscriptions tables in the database grow and grow, taking up valuable CPU time every time a person responds. Best course of action is to eliminate the feature altogether.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Best course of action is to eliminate the feature altogether.
I hear vB has an update/upgrade out. Again, not sure if anybody here knows of that though. Maybe it's a silly rumor.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
When replying to a post, "Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible." does not do what it says it does, it actually adds the thread to the Subscriptions section of the user control panel.

I think this is off by default now, but if anyone is using this feature, the Subscriptions tables in the database grow and grow, taking up valuable CPU time every time a person responds. Best course of action is to eliminate the feature altogether.
uh, but then people don't get email notification, which is A Good Thing for some threads. one nice thing about later vB versions is that they can digest the thread updates daily or weekly instead of sending an instant update when the first new post is posted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules